1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Rust is a sneaky creature

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/04, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't really make any progress on the cowl but I thought I'd keep all of my updates in one post anyway.

After talking with Cloney, Jay, Dickson and Mber, I decided I was going to paint the inside portion of my cowl BLACK to kind of mask the ugliness inside and to add some extra protection. The best way to do this is with something better than spray bomb stuff because you want it to hold up well since you can't reapply once the top is on. I just happened to have some PPG DAR 9000 acrylic enamel that was supposed to be used on a truck I used to have.

I mixed up some epoxy primer to go over the Zero Rust and sprayed that on.

Opened up the AE and got it all stirred up then realized I didn't have the hardener for it. DOH! :shock: Since it was Sunday I couldn't go pick any up either. :bang:

I easily found other projects to tackle like finally completing my trunkfloor patch where I goofed on my cut.........

(Gap is around the wheelwell.)

Got it patched up, epoxied and seamsealed.

welding up the mess I made when removing the bumper bracket, installing the new bracket..........

(lower left corner)

This still needs some more work. I could leave it since it will be covered by the bumper but it will annoy me. (wow, that some REALLY ugly welds )

and cleaning up the quarter patch welds then epoxying it.

I have a nice sunburn on my face today. I'm not sure if it came from the sun or the welder.
Old 11/7/04, 05:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

WOW, I didn't realize it had been so long since I got some work done.

I finally got around to painting the inside of the cowl using the PPG Acrylic Enamel. I was worried about this paint even being any good since it was so old but I figured if it was going to make a mess then the inside of the cowl wouldn't be noticable. All came out well.

First I resanded the epoxy that I had already put down with some 150grit sandpaper then reapplied a coat of epoxy. I let that sit for about an hour until it was no longer tacky then applied a medium wet coat of DAR 9000.......waited about 30 minutes and laid down another medium coat. It turned out great, IMO. This being the first time I've sprayed color and using a $15 Harbor Freight special gun, I was surprised I didn't have any problem areas.

Old 11/8/04, 06:30 AM
Cobra Member

Looks good. Now grind off all that paint around the edges, apply 3M weld-thru primer and get the cap welded back on. It's getting cold and the nursery needs a new border, a Barney-lamp and a Little Mermaid switchplate.
Old 11/8/04, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Welding area is already taken care of. I put tape around the edges before I painted. I did, however, forget to tape up the wiper stubs.

The nursery has been done for a couple of months now. I've just been doing other neglected work around the house lately and prettying up some parts for ebay sales.