1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

My 66 project pony

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/10, 07:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
latest up date... car is inside the body shop, striped, sanded and ready for primer. found some parts that are shot and placed an order for a bunch of small parts. At first I was only going to buff the car out and call it good, but my friends at the shop talked me into "going for it" and repaint it now insted of later. I did most of the work on my days off and they jumped in on the hard stuff that I could not do.
Due to the ammount of rust, the doors and hood are being replaced with new and each time I remove something it seams to be added to the replace list.. just little things, bumper susports, parking lights gaskets and seals, cowell repair, etc..lol

here is a shot of it from the other day just before I started sanding....
Attached Thumbnails My 66 project pony-pic283.jpg  

Last edited by Dougxox; 3/23/10 at 07:17 PM.
Old 3/23/10, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

a few more shots. Keeping the same color but adding some pearl in the finish coats to give it some zing.

needless to say everything with in 20 feet of my car is now coated with orange dust...LOL
Attached Thumbnails My 66 project pony-pic284.jpg   My 66 project pony-pic285.jpg  

Last edited by Dougxox; 3/23/10 at 07:24 PM.
Old 3/23/10, 07:32 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks better than mine right now. Our garage was covered in white dust from me sanding down my primer. It was pretty funny to see.
Old 3/24/10, 08:23 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looking car Doug!

I was also thinking about repainting mine, but my shop wanted 10k for a paint job!

Are you keeping the expense down by doing part of the prep work yourself?

I was thinking of going with Rangoon Red that my car was painted in when it was first built. Here's a link to one of the first Mustangs ever built in that color. I'd really like my car to look like this, but my paint isn't bad enough to justify the expense.

http://www.bigalslist.com/featuredca...8/feat0908.htm

And here's my car in it's current Poppy Red.

Last edited by Falchion; 3/24/10 at 08:24 AM.
Old 3/24/10, 06:25 PM
Cobra R Member

your car looks great.. hopefully mine in time..

Last edited by Dougxox; 3/24/10 at 06:35 PM.
Old 3/24/10, 06:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
Nice looking car Doug!

thanks!

Are you keeping the expense down by doing part of the prep work yourself?

Yes I am, removing the chrome and trim along with a lot of sanding cuts the time they have to put hours in on it. If you can do a lot of that work before you get it to them you will save a lot of bucks.
It also helps to become friends with the body shop and send them customers. These guys do great work. Check out this other thread....
https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=481539

Also showing up on Friday afternoons with beer also helps...LOL
Old 3/25/10, 08:15 AM

Well that's good! Looks like they do a good job.

Be sure and give us some more pics as the work continues. I'll be interested in seeing what is involved.

Originally Posted by Dougxox
Yes I am, removing the chrome and trim along with a lot of sanding cuts the time they have to put hours in on it. If you can do a lot of that work before you get it to them you will save a lot of bucks.
It also helps to become friends with the body shop and send them customers. These guys do great work. Check out this other thread....
https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=481539

Also showing up on Friday afternoons with beer also helps...LOL
Old 4/5/10, 08:19 PM
Cobra R Member

spent the day at the body shop finishing up on a few things before the pros jump in. Had to do the headlight bucket reinforcement as the tabs broke off. had to order new splash guards both front and back. lots of gaskets ordered... everytime I remove a piece I find something that needs replacing.
Bumper susports were shot, so new ones there. front turn signals were shot... new there..
Hood is in but still waiting for the doors.

On the brighter side its all sanded, just need some welding on a patch and the radio plate... then comes primer... and more sanding.......................

Paint I think is signal flare red... here is a shot off the web.

Will be a few weeks before I get a weekday off so things on hold for a while.
Old 4/6/10, 10:39 AM

I think signal flare red is the same color as the Poppy Red I have on my 65.

Here's a link to the first hand built pre-production Mustang in the Rangoon Red that I would like to paint mine!

http://www.bigalslist.com/featuredca...8/feat0908.htm

Keep us informed with pics. I would really like to see how your car comes out.
Old 4/20/10, 07:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Spent a few hours working on the car Monday, cut out the sides to the cowells. bought the plastic caps the seal them up but after getting into the cowells they were not rusted out around the caps but around the parimiter of the cowells them selves. So sending the caps back and ordering the stamped steel pannels. As useual I did not bring the camera along but on the next trip will get some shots. Ordered new doors and they are still 3 weeks out. guess they had to make them when we ordered them???
From what started as just some sanding for a repaint has turned into almost a full restore. Seams like everytime I remove one piece that is shot I find three more that need replacing, and for each of those I find three more. I've stoped looking for things that need replacing..lol. Pocketbook is getting a bit thin and still have to get it painted and get the lower rod berrings repaired.
DOES IT EVER END???
Old 4/20/10, 07:37 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean. Mine has cost way too much money as well!

Spent a few hours working on the car Monday, cut out the sides to the cowells. bought the plastic caps the seal them up but after getting into the cowells they were not rusted out around the caps but around the parimiter of the cowells them selves. So sending the caps back and ordering the stamped steel pannels. As useual I did not bring the camera along but on the next trip will get some shots. Ordered new doors and they are still 3 weeks out. guess they had to make them when we ordered them???
From what started as just some sanding for a repaint has turned into almost a full restore. Seams like everytime I remove one piece that is shot I find three more that need replacing, and for each of those I find three more. I've stoped looking for things that need replacing..lol. Pocketbook is getting a bit thin and still have to get it painted and get the lower rod berrings repaired.
DOES IT EVER END???
Old 7/15/10, 07:22 AM
Cobra R Member

ITS GETTING PRIMED!!!! at last things are comming together. Doors and hood are in and scuffed. sanded the rest of the car for about the third time as pieces keep getting chipped sitting around the body shop. Cowells are fixed and parts are sitting by the paint booth for the painter to hit. After they prime it they will move the car and parts to another bldg that they use for storage to keep them safe.
I did pull the heater plemum and found the heater core was leaking, so replacing that and adding silicone hoses for long life. It was full of leafs that had blowen in through the cowell over the last 40+ years and decided to also replace the orig. blower motor as I don't feel like tearing into this again later.
Will be back working on it Monday, will update then.
Old 7/15/10, 08:15 AM

Yeah, I had to get my whole heater system repaired. I had a cardboard heater pluem that we replaced with a plastic one. My heater core was also leaking. More money....

Are you staying with the signal red color?

ITS GETTING PRIMED!!!! at last things are comming together. Doors and hood are in and scuffed. sanded the rest of the car for about the third time as pieces keep getting chipped sitting around the body shop. Cowells are fixed and parts are sitting by the paint booth for the painter to hit. After they prime it they will move the car and parts to another bldg that they use for storage to keep them safe.
I did pull the heater plemum and found the heater core was leaking, so replacing that and adding silicone hoses for long life. It was full of leafs that had blowen in through the cowell over the last 40+ years and decided to also replace the orig. blower motor as I don't feel like tearing into this again later.
Will be back working on it Monday, will update then.
Old 7/15/10, 07:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
Yeah, I had to get my whole heater system repaired. I had a cardboard heater pluem that we replaced with a plastic one. My heater core was also leaking. More money....

Are you staying with the signal red color?
Yea, just to keep from painting every freeking little crack. going over it with an orange pearl and a light gold pearl in the door insets and then... a bit darker gold pearl stripes... and.. more to come..
Old 7/16/10, 08:01 AM

I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of that. Maybe that's something I could do to my car instead of getting a full on paint job. The lowest quote I've gotten for a 4 stage paint job is 6k. A couple of others quoted 10k!

Yea, just to keep from painting every freeking little crack. going over it with an orange pearl and a light gold pearl in the door insets and then... a bit darker gold pearl stripes... and.. more to come..
Old 7/16/10, 07:33 PM
Cobra R Member

I have done most of the work that I am capable of doing, and bring a lot of beer everytime I go to work on it, I just have to pay for the paint and what ever work the guys do on the clock.
Old 7/17/10, 10:46 AM

Sounds good, I'll be interested in seeing the pics when it's done.

I have done most of the work that I am capable of doing, and bring a lot of beer everytime I go to work on it, I just have to pay for the paint and what ever work the guys do on the clock.
Old 8/30/10, 06:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Talked to the guys at the body shop, its primed, Friday I'll start sanding....
Old 8/31/10, 08:13 AM

Good!

Mine got back from soda blasting last week, and it looked pretty good except for the passenger side fender. Big ugly patch on it. We're going to just relace the fender instead of fixing it. Cheaper and better in the long run. Here's a link to some pics.....

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/e...20paint%20job/

Talked to the guys at the body shop, its primed, Friday I'll start sanding....
Old 8/31/10, 07:25 PM
Cobra R Member

yeah, catch a sale at CJ or somewhere else, the price is not bad at all. I got new doors and a hood pretty reasonable.

Quick Reply: My 66 project pony