(I'm there too )
I'm there also
Old 1/8/08, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BA Mustang
I'm there also
me too, er three

keep looking at the new alum head, 4V intake and dual exhaust set up along with the DUI II and keep comming up with $$$$$$$$$
modding the 66 is worse than the 07. Just where to start, I am just currently working on getting everything working and looking good before tackling the engine.
Rained last night, windsheild still leaks , may have to heat up the seals to get them to set, or put some more sealer on them. .
Old 1/8/08, 10:18 PM
x21
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You sure its the seals and not the cowl thats leaking?

I've been without my 6 for a little bit and now that I have 2 x 302s in the garage, will be busy with them until my 68 rejoins me. Would be nice to have the extra cash to get those aluminum heads for my 200 though.
Old 1/12/08, 12:50 AM
GT Member

Cool! I hope a few sixes hang around so future generations can understand what a straight six is without looking confused.
-Jim
Old 1/13/08, 07:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by x21
You sure its the seals and not the cowl thats leaking?

I've been without my 6 for a little bit and now that I have 2 x 302s in the garage, will be busy with them until my 68 rejoins me. Would be nice to have the extra cash to get those aluminum heads for my 200 though.
Yeah, its the window, water drops all around on the inside It was cold when we put in the glass and the weatherstriping was all bundled up, may have to wait for things to warm up for it to set right. Need to check the cowl, it may be leaking too.

working one step at a time, thinking first new DUI kit and dual exhaust ( to get it to pass inspection first time ) then work on heads and intake. Of course then it will be an up graded dirve train and then brakes
Old 1/14/08, 11:00 AM
x21
Bullitt Member

Maybe try a heat gun or blowdryer on the seals? I took the coward's way on my 68's leaky cowl and got one of those cowl cap plastic things.
What kind of inspections do you all have up there in MO?
Old 1/16/08, 07:50 PM
Cobra R Member

with the temps droping I am afraid to use the heat gun and crack the windsheild may just wait till spring thaw. Need to check the cowls, any info how and where to look?
as for the inspection, on older cars it is a simple safety inspection. lights, brakes, wipers, muffler, tires, ect. on newer cars it is a lot more involved, including emmissions.
Old 1/18/08, 12:29 AM
x21
Bullitt Member

Dont know how big you are, but i can squeeze in enough under the dash and look up and see a bit. If you look through the cowl grille on top and peer far left an far right, you might be able to see- if its pretty bad. Both methods would involve use of a flashlight. And you may not see 100% of the cowl without removal of most of your dash, or cutting the top part of the cowl off.
This site is pretty accurate for how much of a pain this specific area of early mustangs can be- http://personal.ecu.edu/boydd/tech/cowl/cowl.html
also here-
http://www.midcomustang.com/cowlvent.shtml

1969 was the first model year Ford may have taken steps to combat this problem area. Those top cowl panels are screwed in, rather than welded in to allow for easier access.
Old 1/25/08, 04:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Just got done pulling the collapsing glove box out, yup, outside edges of the cowl are rusted through. Rats. It would have to be the outside edge where the heater is in the way. Hate to cut through the outer body to fix, may try squeasing a dremal up there and working with some bondo then keep it out of the weather...lol
Thanks for the info...
going to weld ( or a friend of mine is going to do the welding) the radio replacement plate in tomarrow, last of the dash work until the cowl work begins, was hoping to start putting things back together again.
ordered a new dual exhaust manifold and a set of flowmasters, when they come in its up the the local repair shop for some bending and welding...otherwise having fun tearing things out and putting screws and nuts into little baggies...LOL
Old 2/9/08, 07:16 PM
Cobra R Member

got the flomasters and ceramic coated headers sitting in the trunk, wish things would warm up so I can get some work done. LOL. Also have a DUI electronic ignition sitting in the kitchen, again warm weather. been ordering some parts and pieces as I find them damaged, tore out the front carpet, it was trashed from the water from the cowls. New glove box liner and small parts for the shifter.
Gee, I thought the 07 was a money pit.
Old 2/9/08, 08:43 PM
x21
Bullitt Member

The early mustangs are more of a punji money pit- can look fine and dandy on the outside til you walk right on it, and *zoink*- you fall right in And believe me- my later model 69 aint much cheaper to put back together
Old 3/15/08, 11:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Finally got the radio plate welded in and a quick shot of primer on it and put in the DUI electronic distibuter in. Now working on getting the loose rust off the floorboards and coating them with that rust stuff ( technical name) and some spray in bed liner. After putting in the DUI, I took it for a test run.... about 2 blocks from home the parking brake cable wraped it self around the drive shaft. one of the previous owners for some reason disconected it and tied it around the drive shaft, well it came loose. Have a new one on order, when it comes in will take it up to the local shop for them to add the headers and exhaust along with a new parking brake cable.
After that... put the interior back together.......
first two shots are before second two are after, and last one is the new headers.
Attached Thumbnails My 66 project pony-welts-034.jpg   My 66 project pony-welts-036.jpg   My 66 project pony-welts-011.jpg   My 66 project pony-welts-012.jpg   My 66 project pony-welts-013.jpg  

Old 3/15/08, 08:05 PM
x21
Bullitt Member

Ouch, sorry to hear about the parking brake. Everything is looking good so far though!
Old 3/15/08, 08:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks, the parking brake wraped around the axel I knew about was needing time to fix it. now that it is streched and frayed in a few extra pieces and having to order a new one is a bit on the aggervating side. The fact that trying to work on an old car with out a parking brake is a bit nerve racking having to relay on either the transmission to hold or a single cylinder mastercylinder brake setup. Once fixed I will have a little more piece of mind working on the underside of the car.
Old 3/16/08, 06:11 AM
x21
Bullitt Member

You ever thought of the dual MC upgrade? I think once I saw a MC that looked the original fruit jar MC but was actually a dual. And I know how you feel with no parking brake all too well Good thing most of FL is flat
Old 3/17/08, 04:02 PM
Cobra R Member

thought about it, has some questions.... what do you need? a dual MC, a presure differential valve and re run the brake lines to the PDV, and blead? I would like to do this..
I have had brake lines break on older cars... not fun.. lucky it was a stick and between down shifting and the parking brake I made it home.

Missouri is not flat, at least where I live...
Old 3/21/08, 06:24 PM
x21
Bullitt Member

I myself have never looked into it because I've had 68 and newer Mustangs. My dad doesnt drive his 65 enough to warrant the uprgrade yet. However the parts you listed sound like what you would need. Maybe you could do a google for it.
Old 3/23/08, 07:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Found what is needed for a master cylinder conversion from Mustangs Unlimited

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...sp?T1=MCL1S+01
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...sp?T1=1485F+01

here is another one from CJ Pony parts
in SS
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

in OEM
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort
Old 6/5/08, 08:01 PM
Cobra R Member

just a quick up date on the 66 ( been showing the 07 and have been putting time in on that ).
have the dash about done from the hacked radio job the previous owners did. a bit more bondo and some sanding and I'm there. then sand the whole dash and shoot it with some paint. pass seat is about done being recovered, still have to do the drivers side, but have all the parts.
Then I get to start to put things back together. got some bed liner spray for the floor boards ( after sanding the rust and hitting with preventative ). Wiring is still a mess, may just leave it that way as most things work fine, did replace the single strand wire with multi strand wire....nothing smoking yet..LOL
If it would ever stop raining enough I could get more work done on it.
More later.
Old 10/13/09, 07:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Geez. long time for an up date... just got the headliner put in...$200 for the install. better than I could do. Should have the dash, A piller and interior doors painted soon at the body shop...
On the way to body shop had a loud knocking from the lower rod berrings... one or more is shot...bang, bang, bang.
Had the dual exhaust installed with a pair of flowmaster 40s, sounds like a loppy V8... nice.
I've been having too much fun with the 07 this summer... maybe by spring Ill have the 66 up and running...LOL

Quick Reply: My 66 project pony