1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

help on my 67 mustang coupe spluttering engine

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/05, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

please help me on this- i have a 6 cylinder, auto tranny 1967 mustang coupe. it recently splutter and spewd black smoke after driving it for a few miles. it wouldnt start anymore. the mechanic replaced the spark plugs, condenser and contact point. the carb(which was a rebuilt one) was also dismantled and cleaned. the gas tank was also cleaned. i also replaced the fuel pump and filter. it runs smoothly afterwards.but after a few miles, the engine suddenly dies. it would start but would not idle. i have to step on the gas real hard just to keep the engine running. once i let go of the accelerator, the engine dies. the mechanic said the carburetor isnt giving enough fuel. should i replace the carburetor? the timing has been checked and it was ok. what or where do you think the problem is. please help...
Old 4/25/05, 12:36 PM
FR500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think i encountered the same problem with our 65 we driving on the highway and we felt a jerk and thought it was just bad gas, but when we went on the off ramp and stopped at the lights she boged and died on us the whole way back...my dad adjusted the idle control on the carb and put some new high octane fuel in her and now shes running smooth. You may have to adjust the idle control and if that doesnt work then it could be the weather conditions inturn ur carb has to be adjusted...
Old 4/25/05, 05:17 PM
GT Member

I would also recommend adding a Pertronix kit to the distributor
Old 4/25/05, 06:57 PM

I also have a 67, coupe with the slant 6.
I have never had any problems like this and hope i never do
i also have a 3-spd I will try to look up what could be wrong.
Old 4/26/05, 03:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Talking

It sounds like a clogged fuel filter. You replaced too many things at once. Have the mechanic run a fuel pressure test and a fuel flow test. It is possible you will need to replace the fuel lines.
Old 4/26/05, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ravenblack67@April 26, 2005, 3:59 AM
It sounds like a clogged fuel filter. You replaced too many things at once. Have the mechanic run a fuel pressure test and a fuel flow test. It is possible you will need to replace the fuel lines.
I'll second that, sounds like the fuel filter to me too, particularly if the timing and idle are fine and that is about the cheapest thing to replace of all the stuff you've done so far. If you aren't hung up on only putting correct parts in your car, spend a few extra dollars at Auto Zone and get one of the clear filters with the replaceable element, then you can see how dirty it is getting and monitor it closely.
Old 4/27/05, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by ravenblack67@April 26, 2005, 5:59 PM
i've replace the fuel filter and fuel lines too(hoses from gas tank to fuel pump). nothing happened.
Old 4/27/05, 11:09 PM

I used to have a '67 Mustang with the same symptoms. It happened after I cleaned out the fuel tank and rebuilt the carburator(due to old gas from the car sitting too long during Desert Storm). When I cleaned the fuel tank it loosened rust particles and they clogged the fuel filter. Thats probably why yours lasts a few miles then dies. what I did to help the situation was replace the fuel filter then added a large glass fuel filter to the gas line in front of the carburator. If the car starts to die again then I would just remove the glass filter and blow it out then place back on gas line. this lasted for a couple months until the gas tank was clear and no more problems after that.

Hope this helps.

BTW the car ran for a couple of hundred miles before having to blow out the larger glass filter.
Old 4/28/05, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by uteh+April 28, 2005, 12:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uteh @ April 28, 2005, 12:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ravenblack67@April 26, 2005, 5:59 PM
i've replace the fuel filter and fuel lines too(hoses from gas tank to fuel pump). nothing happened.
[/b][/quote]
Old 4/28/05, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by DADS05@April 28, 2005, 1:12 PM
I used to have a '67 Mustang with the same symptoms. It happened after I cleaned out the fuel tank and rebuilt the carburator(due to old gas from the car sitting too long during Desert Storm). When I cleaned the fuel tank it loosened rust particles and they clogged the fuel filter. Thats probably why yours lasts a few miles then dies. what I did to help the situation was replace the fuel filter then added a large glass fuel filter to the gas line in front of the carburator. If the car starts to die again then I would just remove the glass filter and blow it out then place back on gas line. this lasted for a couple months until the gas tank was clear and no more problems after that.

Hope this helps.

BTW the car ran for a couple of hundred miles before having to blow out the larger glass filter.
thanks a lot. would any fuel filter for any brand of cars be ok?
Old 4/28/05, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

As I mentioned, you can find a general application one at Auto Zone, I believe the brand I got was called Spectre or somethng like that and it comes with a variety of fittings to fit your/any particular inside diameter hose. It's usually stocked next to all the ricer custom accessories like anodized pedals and shift ***** and stuff like that, not with the stock fuel filter replacements.
Old 4/28/05, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 67@GeArHeAd,April 25, 2005, 7:00 PM
I also have a 67, coupe with the slant 6.
I have never had any problems like this and hope i never do
i also have a 3-spd I will try to look up what could be wrong.
Slant six ? is it a dodge dart, or a stang ?
Old 4/28/05, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like the carb or the fuel filter to me, just curious, have you ever had youre gas tank out of this car ?

Good Luck !
Old 4/28/05, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by pakrat@April 28, 2005, 9:48 AM
As I mentioned, you can find a general application one at Auto Zone, I believe the brand I got was called Spectre or somethng like that and it comes with a variety of fittings to fit your/any particular inside diameter hose. It's usually stocked next to all the ricer custom accessories like anodized pedals and shift ***** and stuff like that, not with the stock fuel filter replacements.
The driver's motor mount was broken... Or would that make it a tilt 6...

Anyhow, a buddy had similar symptoms, and it turned out to be a tiny piece of rubber stuck one of the orifices of the carb.
Daniel
Old 4/29/05, 08:51 AM
V6 Member

One of the other things to look for is a bad coil. A bad coil, when it gets hot, will act like you are running out of gas and the car will not crank again until the coil cools off.
Just something else to check.