1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/05, 03:26 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, there's pest control guy that comes to our house around once/twice a month...he is a big mustang guy, but I was surprised (and jealous) of what he said....he is gonna restore a 1965 gt fastback and give it to his daughter as her FIRST CAR! I think that is kinda throwing away his money and wasting all the work & time you put into restoring it, cuz u know, teens have a tendency to wreck fast cars...I don't think it is a good idea...He told me what he's gonna do to it, and I chopped it for him.
Old 4/29/05, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

my stang was my first car. course i did bend a few pieces when i was a teen, but none real bad. on the other hand one of my best friends bought his son an 87 porsche 944 for his first car and did a bunch of work to it, some of it with help from me. he had it for about 3 weeks before he totalled it.
Old 4/29/05, 06:57 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by Zc527@April 29, 2005, 3:29 PM
well, there's pest control guy that comes to our house around once/twice a month...he is a big mustang guy, but I was surprised (and jealous) of what he said....he is gonna restore a 1965 gt fastback and give it to his daughter as her FIRST CAR! I think that is kinda throwing away his money and wasting all the work & time you put into restoring it, cuz u know, teens have a tendency to wreck fast cars...I don't think it is a good idea...He told me what he's gonna do to it, and I chopped it for him.
Would you accept that Mustang as your 1st car?
Old 4/30/05, 07:44 AM
FR500 Member

heck yea! but I already know how to drive good though, I have been doin it for a few years (within our driveway & parking lots), and I play alot of this realistic driving game w/ traffic & real situations...I always choose the 1968 gt390 fastback...hehehehehe
Old 4/30/05, 09:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Zc527@April 29, 2005, 5:29 PM
I am not a big fan of handing down muscle cars to teens, especially classics. Unless he mods the brakes too his daughter will be riding around on 4 drum brakes, which is not the best idea in my opinion for a new and unexperienced driver.
Old 4/30/05, 09:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
My first car was my '65. I got it about a month before my 16th birthday, and I did fine with one exception. About 5 years ago, I was turning around to take it for a spin, ( I had had my licence for about a year at this point) and I pulled into the front yard. Problem, There was a car parked in the yard. Bigger Problem,...I put it there. I had gotten back late the night before with their car, and there was no room to park it, cause they had a lot of people over, so I put it in the yard. Next morning I was pulling out of the garage, and rammed right into. Totally my fault, with no one to blame. I was mortified. not just for my car, but for my safety.
Good news: My car was going in for paint and body work the next week anyway.
Bad news: about $1200 damage to my mom and dad's Intrepid.
I didn't hit it that hard, just Interpids have weak body pannels, and the '65 is a structural tank
Old 4/30/05, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Talking

If the brakes are reworked and the steering tightened and the gas tank covered with steel plate and shoulder belts added and headrests added and the throttle rod adjusted to limit power and the headlights upgraded and the tail lights upgraded then I would let my daughter drive a classic.
Old 4/30/05, 03:55 PM
V6 Member

My first car is a '66, but by the time it is ready to roll I will have been driving for 2 years. I think I need to meet this guy... and his daughter too. B)