1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Experienced drivers opinions requested....

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/07, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experienced drivers opinions requested....

OK,
Since Rob put his J-code up on the block, it really has me thinking about what I want in a car. I've decided to sell my '05 and buy a classic. Since I can't afford (and really don't like) one of the 1000s of Eleanor clones out there, I'm trying to decide if I'd prefer a concourse car (67-68 fastback) or a restomod.
My question is this: Does anyone have any real world experience with the resto-mod suspensions (TCP, Griggs, etc.) in order to offer an honest evaluation about ride quality? My first car was a '67 coupe that I loved, but finally gave up after years of having it sit rusting. I do remember some of the pain that comes with a classic, but I'm inclined to revisit the minor annoyances.
Anyone that has driven (and even better if you could compare setups) opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12/12/07, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the TCP set-up and I am more that pleased with it. It has virtually unlimited adjustments for any preference.

You can check it out on my carsdomain and let me know if you have any questions
Old 12/12/07, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

BTW, the rear have 5 leaf springs, a pan hard bar, traction bars and adjustible Spax shocks. The rear feels very good
Old 12/12/07, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ken,
Thanks for the reply. I sold my coupe a few years back and I'm really regretting it now. Your car looks to be very close to what I think I want. How much did it cost to get your car to the point it is now?
I'm unsure if I want to do a Shelby clone or just a resto-mod (sleeper) GT. I want to be able to autocross it on a 2-3 times a year basis, but keep it nice enough to drive every Sunday (Maybe I'm asking too much).
Thanks,
Frank
Old 12/12/07, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I am afraid to tell you how much I spent on this. I am also afraid to to think about it.

If I did it knowing what I know now, and doing all the work myself, I would say about 35K. From bottom up.

This car is an original S-code, 4 speed which added to the cost. It had some rust and such which if I went with a regualr 67, I could have saved some money.

If I had to guess at a range you should consider, I would say 35 to 40K

If you had someone else build one you can spend 60 to 90K.

I did this car because, other than I like the way it looks, not many people have one. Most are doing the Shelby clones. I have some thoughts also about getting it on the track but right now I am just enjoying it on the street.

There really ae so many variable too. Let me know how else I can help
Old 12/12/07, 05:40 PM
V6 Member

I have installed a Heidt's IRS in my 65 convertible but I have not driven the car yet. I do not know how it will handle. I would say that it was not easy to get it in and establish good geometry. I had to make pockets in the floor pan under the back seat and run the trailing arms under the rocker panels. It looks great but I will have to let you know what it rides like once it is running.
Old 12/12/07, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

GC, I'm sure we'd all love to hear your impressions once you get the heidts' on the road.

Ken,
You confirmed what I was thinking. If I can stay under $50k then I think it is a worthwhile adventure. I just see all the "projects" on Ebay and get leery about what I might be getting myself into.
Unfortunately, the 6 cyl auto 67 fastbacks are harder to come by than an S-code. I just don't want to pay for exclusivity on a car I intend to totally revamp. The Dynacorn body is enticing, but then I would need a donor for all of the "little stuff."
I know now is the best time of year to buy, but I'll probably wait until the MCA National show this Spring, here in P-cola.
Old 12/13/07, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

That Dynacorn body looks good. Are you doing a fastback? Yeah, then you'll pay a little more. Still, keep you eyes open. There may be some deals out there.

I actually didn't plan on an S-Code, it just seem to work out that way. If you have a 50K budget, you should do pretty well. One of the things I ran into is doing things over and end up buying extra parts.

A couple of things that I would reconsider with my car: I am not quite comfortable with the rack unit I have yet. It may be because of the width of my front tires but, It has a very heavy feel and the turning radius doesn't seem as good as with the link system. At speed it feels very stable and precise though.

Also, the brake master cylinder I have is supposed to be much better than stock. Not sure about that. I may change it to a stock one. We'll see. I think it would be nice to have a booster.

Are you planing on doing most the work yourself.
Old 12/13/07, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ideally, I could have a friend do all the body work and I can do most of the mechanics and assembly. I'll leave upholstery up to the pros. In fact I'll probably go with a modified "Recaro" type seat like used in reenmachines resto:

http://www.reenmachine.com/albums/in...thumbnail=true

Thanks for the tips. That advice is exactly what I'm looking for from people that have done this type of venture before. That will help me plan ahead and keep the costs down. I am actually shooting for $40k but most of these projects go overbudget (especially with my luck) so a 10k buffer is realistic.
I wish I had $140-150k to have someone like reenmachine build it for me...but I don't, not that I could justify spending that much on a car I drive once in a while
Old 12/13/07, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I like those seats! I like the ones I got too, but from what I have seen, they don't ware so nice.

Good thing to prepare yourself for, it always cost more and takes longer!
Old 12/13/07, 03:21 PM
Service Manager

Received 432 Likes on 209 Posts
I've got friends who are not happy with the Mustang II type front suspension and echo what was already said about geometry. There are a lot of options out there and I've used TCP and others but most of my direct driving seat time is behind the wheel of the newer cars with Griggs, Maximum Motorsports and Kenny Brown spec'd cars. We are however building John's '67 Shelby project right now and have finished the dismantling phase and are about to embark on the rebuilding portion of this project. His car will have Rack and pinion steering and a watts link rear suspension if we follow our current plan of attack. I have a link to the project in his thread in this section.
Old 12/14/07, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Paul, as always I'm interested in your input as well. Thanks for scaring me even worse with your post about the current project. Is there any chance you'll be down here in P-cola for the MCA nationals?
Old 12/15/07, 07:45 AM
Service Manager

Received 432 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by wsmatau
Paul, as always I'm interested in your input as well. Thanks for scaring me even worse with your post about the current project. Is there any chance you'll be down here in P-cola for the MCA nationals?
I am planning on being in P-cola....not sure if I am taking a Mustang for the show or not yet but I am planning on being there as long as the wife can get the time off work.
Old 12/16/07, 08:17 AM
V6 Member

While there are loads of complete front end kits to restomod with the stock Mustang suspension with some tweaks will perform well and cost less.
Some think less of me for making changes to a Boss 429,but having driven it stock for 16,000 miles I knew the changes would be improvements and could be switched back if desired.
Being a nose heavy big block it requires power steering so I installed a TCP power rack and pinion.If you are going small block the power is not necessary unless your wife or girlfriend want to drive it.
New midolyne bushings in the upper and lower control arms,shocks,and sway bar links will tighten things up nicely.
In the rear,a sway bar and watts link or one of those Phase 2 Watts links should be all that it needs.
A larger diameter front sway bar,welded in subframe connectors,underhood bracing(export brace and monte carlo bar),and some quality shocks take care of the suspension.
Now get a 4 wheel disc brake kit and the widest wheel and tire combo that fits under your fenders(BFG KDWS tires) and enjoy your car as it will have great street manners and won't do to bad on the track either.