4 speed or 5 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/08, 12:58 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I really want one of those
Old 2/23/08, 06:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
from this shot...it looks close...that air cleaner is anything but low profile though...
Attached Thumbnails 4 speed or 5 Speed-m5lp_0702_16_z-347_import_slayer-1990_mustang_gt_dyno_testing.jpg  
Old 2/23/08, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glenn
More gears are better in my book. I say 6 speed but 5 will do. You could also do the 4 speed and go with something like this farther on down the road.
Do you tend to take longer or shorter cruises?
I like this idea or using a Ford AOD transmission, of course it looks like you aren't really trying to remain stock with your Mustang so a conversion from auto to manual isn't going to be a deal killer either. The AOD swap and 5-spd manual tranny (T5?) swaps have been done so often that the kits are readily available so you won't be going crazy with the swap.

Just remember that you don't typically see a positive return on investment when selling modified cars so pick the option that will bring you the most smiles now and don't worry about resale later.
Old 2/23/08, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
I suppose your house deal is probably more important than a supercharger....

Won't stop me from hassling you though

heeheehee

Whichever route you go, Arin wants to see lotsa pichas
You better make sure that motor can handle the supercharger or you'll end up spending a hell of a lot more money putting in a new motor. Most of these old motors run 10:1 or higher compression (my 302 rebuild put me at close to 10:1). I wouldn't consider high compression to be boost friendly. Usually you see old school boost motors running 8.5 to 9:1 compression. Plus you need to think about fuel delivery, spark, your rear end, tranny strength, etc. Not trying to crap on your party but just want to make sure your car and engine are up to the task before you jump all over the big HP bump and end up breaking something along with your budget.
Old 2/23/08, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 speeds are great for local cruising, 6 speeds are awesome for if you take your car on longer freeway/ interstate trips.
Old 2/23/08, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

For driveablily I would rather see a better built long block with 9.5 compression roughly then investing in a supercharger. Put another 300 bucks in the long block versus 3500 or more for the supercharger.
Old 2/23/08, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by shatter
You better make sure that motor can handle the supercharger or you'll end up spending a hell of a lot more money putting in a new motor. Most of these old motors run 10:1 or higher compression (my 302 rebuild put me at close to 10:1). I wouldn't consider high compression to be boost friendly. Usually you see old school boost motors running 8.5 to 9:1 compression. Plus you need to think about fuel delivery, spark, your rear end, tranny strength, etc. Not trying to crap on your party but just want to make sure your car and engine are up to the task before you jump all over the big HP bump and end up breaking something along with your budget.
lol...I appreciate your concern...thanks for being so honest. I'm not trying to get 1000 horsepower or anything, I just think the supercharger would be really unique and give me a boost (haha...I kill myself!) in power. I would run very low boost as to be carefull not to hurt anything.
Old 2/23/08, 11:48 AM
Post *****

Cody-

I did some surfin around and saw this page
http://www.gilbertsmotorgarage.com.au/our-projects.html

and its prtty low profile. They are hard to find now, and I think they are the same as the Holley supercharger, but thats an option if you can find a good kit. As u can see he retains the stock hood.

hope this helps
Old 2/23/08, 12:22 PM

Chaaa Ching! Thanks Arin...I've been looking all day for a pic just like that..(thats the same model)...He has no breather on the carb, but with my hood scoop I should be able to squeeze one in there.
Old 2/23/08, 12:24 PM
Post *****

waitasec... i just read the description part and it IS a weiand!

I thought it was the B&M

oh well, this works. SWEET!!!
Old 2/23/08, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
lol...I appreciate your concern...thanks for being so honest. I'm not trying to get 1000 horsepower or anything, I just think the supercharger would be really unique and give me a boost (haha...I kill myself!) in power. I would run very low boost as to be carefull not to hurt anything.
Thanks. I am glad you didn't take it personal, I tend to p*** in everyone's cornflakes, not to be mean just ends up being my over conservative self!

How hard are carbureted supercharged applications to tune properly? Seems like we see plenty of folks on here with tuning issues using fancy fuel injected engines but I have no idea how that translates to a single 4-bbl.

I like the idea of a 331 cid stroked Boss302 block with some nice heads, long tubes and a mid-level cam myself. I'll be watching this thread with interest to see how it all works out for you.

Thanks!
Old 2/25/08, 05:32 AM

so I have a confession to make... I am a total B*tch when it comes to my car, and very hard to please..When I had the stereo put in last fall, I almost had a corinary becuase I was afraid they weren't going to do a good job...same thing when I got the stripes painted on....I had nightmares of them comming out wrong...so....realizing that I have a problem, I have some to a conclusion.....

I need a test drive. I'm too worried that if I do the tranny job, I'm not going to like it....either the driving experiance will not be as fun, or it will be too much work, or the shifter wont feel like I think it will, or it will be an uncomfortable reach for a shift...you get my point. I'm afraid of having a regret that I cant fix....especially after dropping all of the $$$. So if anyone has a t5 converted mustang...I would like to drive it. I need to find out if its something I want or not. I can't just assume its going to come out just like I dream it will....I'm too much of a worry wort...anyone that can help?
Old 2/25/08, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

lol Codeman, that is the struggles of a REAL car guy. I used to be alot worse then I am now.
Old 3/7/08, 03:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

T-5 Conversion

Has anyone done one of these by themselves? I am also looking at pulling my 3-Speed out and putting a T-5 in. I have mapped out the parts I need but is this something I can do if I have enought technical ability to replace a clutch? At least in my case the '69 drive shaft fits better after putting a T-5 in with no cutting with less slack... Is there anything else that I need to know going into this?

Thanks from a newbie...