1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

66 Dead Battery!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/08, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
66 Dead Battery!!!!

Hi, new here. I have a 66 coupe v8 4bbl auto. I have an electrical problem that's driving me crazy. Thus far i have replaced a starter, selenoid, battery, voltage regulator, and alternator. All in that order. I have a short somewhere that is draining my battery every two days while parked. It kills the battery to the point where when i try to cranck, i get nothing. It seems to me that something is open or shorted somewhere. If the alternator was bad, could it have damaged the voltage regulator??? would that create a short that would drain a battery??? I have been told to run a continuity test using an ohm meter. If there is continuity then there is something on or open somewhere. How do i pin-point where that short is if there is one????
Thank you for your input
Old 3/8/08, 04:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
silly questions! Is your pos lead from the battery to the sol and then to the starter new? Do you have a volt meter? Do you have a test light?
Old 3/8/08, 04:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by giacomo
Hi, new here. I have a 66 coupe v8 4bbl auto. I have an electrical problem that's driving me crazy. Thus far i have replaced a starter, selenoid, battery, voltage regulator, and alternator. All in that order. I have a short somewhere that is draining my battery every two days while parked. It kills the battery to the point where when i try to cranck, i get nothing. It seems to me that something is open or shorted somewhere. If the alternator was bad, could it have damaged the voltage regulator??? would that create a short that would drain a battery??? I have been told to run a continuity test using an ohm meter. If there is continuity then there is something on or open somewhere. How do i pin-point where that short is if there is one????
Thank you for your input

The wife and I had a 65 Vert for about 5 years and we had a similar issue with in. It ended up being the voltage regulator. I know you have replaced yours. Also check all of the ground straps and grounding points!!
Scott
Old 3/8/08, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got it, yes, the voltage regulator was shorted. I ran a continuity test through the + and - cables. I had the buzzz, i unpluged the volt reg, the buzzz whent away. I replaced the volt reg and had no buzzz, unpluged and the same. I should have replaced the volr reg after the alternator. I think the originally my alternator was bad and it ended up damaging my volt reg.. I've got 12.3 v before starting, 13.6 while running and 12.5 right after running. I have measured the voltage 2 hours later, and the batt has not lost any juice. Thanks guys!
Old 3/8/08, 06:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by giacomo
got it, yes, the voltage regulator was shorted. I ran a continuity test through the + and - cables. I had the buzzz, i unpluged the volt reg, the buzzz whent away. I replaced the volt reg and had no buzzz, unpluged and the same. I should have replaced the volr reg after the alternator. I think the originally my alternator was bad and it ended up damaging my volt reg.. I've got 12.3 v before starting, 13.6 while running and 12.5 right after running. I have measured the voltage 2 hours later, and the batt has not lost any juice. Thanks guys!

Old 3/8/08, 07:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad you got it fixed, those older systems can be a real pain to troubleshoot sometimes!!!!