1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1967 fastback

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/16, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1967 fastback

Looking to buy this car and know very little about them. It is a base model
with pony interior in good condition, 289, ps, pb, c4auto. Body is good with minor dings, no rust, has aftermarket wheels. Car has not run for 28 years.
How can I figure the value for purchase?
Thanks, Jon
Old 9/13/16, 08:53 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 950 Likes on 578 Posts
You sure about the rust?? That would be one fine car if that's the case, and probably an expensive Fastback most likely. The prices range all over the place, but for Fastbacks w/ 289 engines they sell from $10k (rust-free, running cars) right up to $48,000 like this one https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0515-21...g-gt-fastback/
A car that has not run in 3 decades is going to have a HUGE amount of issues so you must keep in mind the money you would be investing. It must be bought at the lower end of the price spectrum. The miles aren't mentioned, yet that could be key as well. Was the car put away with 20,000 miles on the odometer and owned by one meticulous owner or was it a 5 owner car with 6 figures on the odometer?? There is so much to consider with classic or collector cars. The storage wasn't mentioned either. In a climate controlled garage or out in a frozen barn during the winters? I've owned so many older collectors in the past 25+ years and I've basically had enough to be perfectly honest. Even the finest examples cost big $$ unless you can do many things yourself. My '96 C4 is about as old as I'm ever going to get again.
I wish you the best and be smart. Do NOT overpay. Feel free to followup with more info. It's a fun hobby, especially if you have the bucks.
Old 9/13/16, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
67 fastback

Thanks for your comments. The car is a 2 owner garaged in ca at all times with odometer reading 111,000. I have checked the trunk, wheel wells,
under hood and lower part of fenders for rust. Can't see any. Where should I look? All parts seem to be original except for rims.
I have always played with chevy's and just got rid of a '68 chevelle SS matching #"s. I purchased a 2015 50yr. GT about a year ago that I have come to enjoy very much and need something to play with to get through the day.
Thanks again for good advice,
Jon
Old 9/14/16, 09:10 AM

I think you are in the correct area looking for the rust. I'm sure you have checked along all the window sills as well. Two documented owners is a wonderful history but the 111,000 miles isn't very appealing at this point. If you are able to do your own repairs and engine work (if needed) then the mileage wouldn't be a deal breaker. Unfortunately all the components on the car have this same 111,000 miles of use and sitting and subject to fail at any given time. If you want to restore this Mustang then it seems like a decent candidate, but not as a 'turn key' car to drive immediately and enjoy. That's my take anyway without all the details needed. $10k seems like absolute top dollar if it doesn't need paint. Putting $5k -$8k into a potentially sweet ride, and being under $20k total when all is said and done, seems OK in my book for a #2 or #3+ condition 289 Fastback. If it was a 390 it would be different yet again. Your situation and thoughts may differ quite a bit than mine. Good luck with your decision.
Old 9/14/16, 07:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Rust spots are where you've looked, plus the door skins, inside and out. Also the 'tophats' of the vents under the cowl... look in the cowl with a flashlight, or get under the dash and have a peek. Also the quarter panels behind the door opening. Then it's just nooks and crannies mostly after that, although I did have a frame rail rust right at the right front leaf spring mount and wallow out the hole on the inside... solve was to permanently weld a heavy duty washer on the rail, because it was *fine* except at that hole... sprayed/glopped a good amount of Por15 on that stuff to ensure it wasn't gonna come back, welded the washer, tada, new hole.

But that was years ago. Anyway, that kind of thing.

And what NC07's saying is good stuff. Me, the biggest thing is the fastback only stuff, that's gonna be more difficult to source parts for. So if it's *complete*, and the car is relatively cheap... good find, snag it. Good dang luck!
Old 9/16/16, 08:58 AM

jonh, can you keep us posted on how you did? We'd like to know as we enjoy success stories with these old car finds.