2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Spy Shots

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/12, 08:17 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by B-Fox
I don't think we will see ecoboost 5.0L's, the whole point of ecoboost is to allow the use of smaller more fuel efficient engines that can produce ample torque when needed, a V8 makes more than enough toque on its own and isn't really ideal on fuel economy. It doesn't fit into the ecoboost branding, I could see the direct injection technology trickle in, but packaging turbos on a V8 in the new narrower engine bay sounds unlikely..

and the day ford slips direct injectors into a V8 mustang cylinder head the aftermarket parts market is going to be turned upside down.. power adders need bigger injectors and bigger direct injectors are not likely to be cheap.
I would beg to differ. Ecoboost has always been branded as a premium engine, so how much more premium can you get than a GT500. and like you said smaller and more efficient, it makes the power of the 5.8 with only 5L. People might pay more for their ecoboost fusion or focus seeing the engine in the same line as the GT500.
Old 12/28/12, 09:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
true, but on the other hand: as a $60K+ GT500 buyer, would you want your engine to share its name with a three cylinder fiesta?
Old 12/28/12, 11:59 PM
V6 Member

According to some sources, the 5.8 will be a 2013-2014 GT500 exclusive. The $50 million spent retooling for the 5.4 to 5.8 switch can (and will) be applied to their next SVT engine. If this is all true, the next gen 5.0 will have PTWA cylinder bores and.... There is a possibility that the same technique can be applied to the Coyote. Removing the iron sleeves and increasing the bore up to 5.4 (or 5.2/5.3 depending on the water passages and bore spacing). The Plasma Transferred Wire Arc process, an increase in bore, direct injection and Ecoboost are all BIG cards Ford hasn't played yet.

Edit: Is information availible online explaining the operation of this dual turbo system? I would like to get educated on all forced induction possibilities for the next gen SVT entry.

Packaging issues with the twin turbo and 5.0 were communicated to the public directly by Ford. Here are the other two TT contenders.

'13 TT Cobra Jet. ObviouslyFord found a way to package it under the hood.

EU-01, the Fangs of the Cobra got the job done... However, someone on this very forum I believe, pointed out quite a few packaging issues with this concept.

Dual turbos look like they are lightweight, easy to supply cold air to, a buckled down, compact design and is super effiecient/

Last edited by thePill; 12/29/12 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12/29/12, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

WOW! all spy shots on this thread are Great. the euss work is gone!
LOL
Old 12/29/12, 06:54 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Brewman
WOW! all spy shots on this thread are Great. the euss work is gone!
LOL

I was just gonna say the same thing. It went from spy shots to a discussion of everything but.
Old 12/29/12, 12:51 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thePill
According to some sources, the 5.8 will be a 2013-2014 GT500 exclusive. The $50 million spent retooling for the 5.4 to 5.8 switch can (and will) be applied to their next SVT engine. If this is all true, the next gen 5.0 will have PTWA cylinder bores and.... There is a possibility that the same technique can be applied to the Coyote. Removing the iron sleeves and increasing the bore up to 5.4 (or 5.2/5.3 depending on the water passages and bore spacing). The Plasma Transferred Wire Arc process, an increase in bore, direct injection and Ecoboost are all BIG cards Ford hasn't played yet.

Edit: Is information availible online explaining the operation of this dual turbo system? I would like to get educated on all forced induction possibilities for the next gen SVT entry.

Packaging issues with the twin turbo and 5.0 were communicated to the public directly by Ford. Here are the other two TT contenders.

'13 TT Cobra Jet. ObviouslyFord found a way to package it under the hood.

EU-01, the Fangs of the Cobra got the job done... However, someone on this very forum I believe, pointed out quite a few packaging issues with this concept.

Dual turbos look like they are lightweight, easy to supply cold air to, a buckled down, compact design and is super effiecient/
I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. Which is why I was telling people, if they want the 5.8 buy it now. There's no guarantee it'll still be around next gen
Old 12/29/12, 01:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. Which is why I was telling people, if they want the 5.8 buy it now. There's no guarantee it'll still be around next gen
Yup I was surprised that the supercharged terminator didn't carry into the next Gen car. They could've used that to fill the gap before the GT500 was ready.

I have a feeling we will go a year or two without a GT500.
Old 12/29/12, 04:48 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Yup I was surprised that the supercharged terminator didn't carry into the next Gen car. They could've used that to fill the gap before the GT500 was ready.

I have a feeling we will go a year or two without a GT500.
This.
Old 1/2/13, 03:47 PM

Heres the Ecoboost 5.0!!! The turbos are in the valley and not straddling the transmission. Oh well, I was wrong... EU-01 failed... Long live the Cobra Jet. http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...-20120403.html
I can't post this on SVTP, they will post a video of my beheading on Smack Down. The Supercharger guys will take this pretty hard... This technically isn't "Twin Turbo". The two compressors are actually one creating a "dual turbo". I guess like a Bi-turbo just a lot different. This is actually NOT the Twin Turbo Cobra Jet setup, the Jet is setup similar to the EU-01 except the turbos were mounted forward. This kinda new system eliminates weight by eliminating plumbing, its waaaay more efficient and creates a nice linear pull through the band and eliminating lag. Expect the next SVT Mustang to have a nice big bulging hood. Perhaps a cowl like induction or some nostrils on each side of the valley (see Mach5) and CAI feed the turbos through the nose. Another possibility, a slight cowl with a centered SVO functional CAI scoop right into the turbo.

I hope you appreciate this Overboost, we are working in shifts.

Edit: I gotta quit brother, my eyes are killin me...
This looks like the turbo setup on the new Power Stroke diesel.
Old 1/12/13, 03:01 PM

I didn't see this mentioned, but another reason for the covered/padded fuel fill is that the rear of the new car (or what ever that mule is testing) will be wider. Note the cutouts for the exhaust. They are also wider. The rear tires also seem to be a bit further out than they would be on a production car.
Old 1/12/13, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Topnotch
If you build and price a base Fusion on their site this is the stack used...the Sony system and Nav is an upgrade. The microphone attached to the tail pipe tests acoustics on a new engine (Ecoboost 4?)
I if you notice that the mike was only on the right side? Single exhaust?
Old 1/13/13, 05:47 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Must..............have.................new........ ...........spyshots
Old 1/13/13, 08:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Must..............have.................new........ ...........spyshots
Kind of a lull in spy shots huh lol
Old 1/14/13, 07:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Wonder if Ford is not doing all it's testing on the new 'Stang at Area51 !!!!!
Old 1/14/13, 08:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It is the best kept secret! Even Better than the 05 Concept. It will be a huge hit!
Old 1/14/13, 10:14 AM
GTR Member

No doubt the lovely Brenda Priddy is schmoozin' with the Ford reps in Detroit, getting the inside info on when the mules might be ready for their close-up

Old 1/14/13, 01:59 PM

Anyone seen these?
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Spy Shots-mustang-mule-1_653.jpg   2015 Spy Shots-mustang-mule-4_653.jpg  
Old 1/14/13, 02:02 PM
GTR Member

Yep...........pretty sure there's not a spy shot out there that we haven't seen on TMS.

That's why we..........or at least I want new ones
Old 1/14/13, 03:06 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

No way you'd see something like that in a production car, intakes for the turbos sit way to low. Not only would they suck up hot air off of the pavement but are exposed to debris and water as well - those are all conditions that killed the under bumper ram-air intakes early on in the 5.0 pushrod movement.

Ford's best bet would be to emulate the Ecoboost race car with forward facing turbos - provided they could shift everything else toward the firewall or trunk so it wouldn't get cooked by the turbos.

Nevermind heat exchangers and mass air meter placement.
Old 1/15/13, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found a spy shot to hold Paul over for a while...

Quick Reply: 2015 Spy Shots