Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Re Fueling issues

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/12, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re Fueling issues

i just have a quick question, its been buggin me since i got my 2005 GT, does anyone else have this problem....some if not most gas station pumps give me problems when i refuel, no matter what i do the pump continues to click off as if it senses my tank is full, even though i just pulled the lever,sometimes i cant get it to pump at all it just clicks right off, some pumps dont do this but not many, i luckily have a station between home and work that never gives me issues, i know it is vehicle related because i had a Scion before this that never did this, but i also had an older Lincoln before the Scion which did give me the same problem, thanks for any input
Old 1/18/12, 05:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
It's a known problem with the early models , there is a TSB about it and threads on here if you do a search. If I remember correctly it's because air gets trapped in the double sided tank. Mine has done it off and on over the years , but not very often recently. When it does , I can usually rotate the handle a little to the side and start it very slowly and it will fill ...

Last edited by 05YellowGT; 1/18/12 at 05:26 AM.
Old 1/18/12, 09:35 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wtjurls
i just have a quick question, its been buggin me since i got my 2005 GT, does anyone else have this problem....some if not most gas station pumps give me problems when i refuel, no matter what i do the pump continues to click off as if it senses my tank is full, even though i just pulled the lever,sometimes i cant get it to pump at all it just clicks right off, some pumps dont do this but not many
Hello wtjurls,

05YellowGT is correct. There is a repair procedure for this. I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Old 1/18/12, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Thanks to you both for your great input,i will check with my local dealer,thanks again

Will
Old 1/19/12, 08:37 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wtjurls
Wow! Thanks to you both for your great input,i will check with my local dealer,thanks again
You're very welcome, wtjurls!

Deysha
Old 1/24/12, 06:36 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
05GT-OCD fixed his by dropping the evap/vent thing under the trunk and blew out all the ports- theres a thread somewhere he put up on it.
Mine did this the initial 2 tanks- I'd heard about it on the web, all-knowing me turns the fuel spout sideways and fills it right up, thinking, yeah, I know how to get around this problem- then the pump clicks off and a huge gush of fuel barfs out the side of the car- compressed air-like...got gas all over my pantleg, car stunk to high heaven at one day old...next time I stood aside, only puked a little(again had to turn the nozzle sideways), and to this day, it has never done it again...weird.

edit- here's John's thread:
https://themustangsource.com/f739/fu...advise-462079/
if you are having issues in below freezing temps, I think his condensation clogged vent idea is the most logical Ive heard on the cause...my first 2 fillups were also below freezing and am guessing that the first fill in above freezing temps purged the water out of the vent. I was really surprised the NHTSA or something didnt get involved with this back in 05, as mustangs were spraying drivers with gasoline pretty often in 05/06, never heard of any fires, but raw gasoline sure dont need much to go boom.

Last edited by ford4v429; 1/24/12 at 06:50 PM.
Old 1/24/12, 07:01 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haha, good find Tim! All of these years later and it's been fixed ever since that thread. Never had a problem since. So either the problem was over there, or it's a pretty big coincidence.