2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Couple of Systems Warnings/CEL...help please

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/14, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of Systems Warnings/CEL...help please

So I had a couple warnings come on over the weekend. The first was a system warning saying "Check Fuel Filler Inlet"...anyone have a clue on this one?

Also threw my first CEL ran diagnostics, and I can't remember the code but it was "Evaporative Emissions System Leak - (small leak)". Didn't clear the code. Not sure how to spot a leak. I hate having to go the dealership for anything, so any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11/17/14, 05:18 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Originally Posted by CenTexGT
So I had a couple warnings come on over the weekend. The first was a system warning saying "Check Fuel Filler Inlet"...anyone have a clue on this one?
Also threw my first CEL ran diagnostics, and I can't remember the code but it was "Evaporative Emissions System Leak - (small leak)". Didn't clear the code. Not sure how to spot a leak. I hate having to go the dealership for anything, so any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks
If you have a gas cap, make sure you it put on tight. Un-tighten it and put it back on tight. If that doesn't work, try some baby oil around the ring of the gas cap and then re-tighten. If that doesn't work, try a new gas cap.
Good luck!
Old 11/17/14, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Get us the P or U code, and I can get you the diagnostics information on it.

Cheers,
-Matt
Old 11/18/14, 09:51 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks
I know you don’t want to bring it in, CenTexGT, but I’d rather you be on the safe side. I recommend you bring it in and let me know what they say. Then, get back to me so I can escalate it for you if needed.

Deysha
Old 11/18/14, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
I know you don’t want to bring it in, CenTexGT, but I’d rather you be on the safe side. I recommend you bring it in and let me know what they say. Then, get back to me so I can escalate it for you if needed.

Deysha
Deysha rocks!
Old 11/18/14, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like you have a 2013 GT? I'm having the same issue that started about a month ago after filling up one morning. I can clear the code and about 60 miles later the check fuel filler inlet message comes back and about 50 miles after that I get the code. I've done research on this and there's not a lot of actually answers on a fix other than take it to the dealer. I've been so busy and when I'm home the weather has been crappy but I did use the filler tube (or whatever it called) that comes with the car to push in and out on the filler door and it seems to seal okay but the message comes back. I have read that there is a hose that comes off the filler tube for venting and some people reporting that it melted causing the message. I'm going to check that out this weekend. I'm like you and don't want to have to go to the dealer but I guess I'm going to since I have the week off the week of November 24th. I don't have much of a warranty due to mods but I believe this should still be under warranty. I have to get this fixed before the end of March 2015 to pass state inspection. I'll keep you updated and if possible you do the same.
Old 11/18/14, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordService

Deysha
Deysha,

I'm having the same issue with my 2013 GT, I'm going to try to swing by my local dealer on November 24th or 25th. I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks
Old 11/18/14, 09:30 PM

Appreciate the responses guys

I've got a '13 GT, no fuel cap, so no go there.

The code is P0442.

Deysha, thank you. If I can find some time, I will see what the dealer says.

For now, cleared the code; I drive about 60-80 miles/day, so it may come back on some time tomorrow

Anyways, I'll keep you guys updated. Keep the suggestions coming.

Old 11/20/14, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
P0442 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Small Leak)

Description: The PCM monitors the complete evaporative emission (EVAP) control system for the presence of a small fuel vapor leak. This DTC sets when a fuel vapor leak from an opening as small as 1.016 mm (0.040 in) is detected by the EVAP running loss monitor test.

Possible Causes:
1. Aftermarket EVAP hardware that does not conform to the required specifications
2. Small holes or cuts in the fuel vapor hoses or tubes
3. EVAP canister vent valve stays partially open on closed command
4. Damaged, missing or loosely installed fuel filler cap
5. Capless fuel tank filler pipe damaged or not sealed correctly (if equipped)
6. Loose fuel vapor hose or tube connections to the EVAP system components
7. EVAP system component seals leaking at or near the EVAP purge valve, fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor, EVAP canister vent valve, fuel vapor control valve tube assembly or fuel vapor vent valve assembly

Diagnostic Aids:
Check for a missing fuel filler cap or the integrity of the cap. Verify the capless fuel tank filler pipe is sealed correctly (if equipped). Install and remove the supplemental fueling adapter five times in the capless fuel tank filler pipe to clear debris on the seal. Refer to the Owner Literature for the location of the supplemental fueling adapter in the vehicle. Check for loose or damaged vapor hoses. Visually inspect the EVAP canister inlet port, EVAP canister vent valve filter, and canister vent hose assembly for contamination or debris.
Old 11/21/14, 08:05 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DaGonz
Deysha rocks!
Awwwee!! Thanks, DaGonz!

Originally Posted by GT50GO
Deysha,
I'm having the same issue with my 2013 GT, I'm going to try to swing by my local dealer on November 24th or 25th. I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks
I was about to recommend you do that, GT50GO. At least you’ll know if it’s not mod related you can get it repaired under warranty. Keep me posted.

Appreciate the responses guys

I've got a '13 GT, no fuel cap, so no go there.
The code is P0442.

Deysha, thank you. If I can find some time, I will see what the dealer says.
For now, cleared the code; I drive about 60-80 miles/day, so it may come back on some time tomorrow
Anyways, I'll keep you guys updated. Keep the suggestions coming.

Great, CenTexGT! Definitely let me know.

Deysha
Old 11/27/14, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Well good news for me and this issue. Monday I looked around for loose hoses and found one loose but not off on the EVAP canister (or whatever there calling it these days) in the engine bay and reinserted it and cleared the code and it has not come back for 120+ miles. The check fuel inlet message would come on routinely at around 30 miles and the check engine light would come on at about 60 miles every time after clearing the code. I'm very happy because I did not want to have to go to the dealership.
Old 5/26/15, 08:45 PM

I have a 2003 that I store for most of the winter. 50 miles into my summer and the check gas cap light goes on. Replaced the cap lady tear. Thoughts?
Old 5/26/15, 08:46 PM

Replaced cap last year