GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MGW Shifter and Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/09, 11:22 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MGW Shifter and Warranty

I'm having my transmission rebuilt under warranty due to some problems (I'll create another thread on this issue). The car is 2008 Mustang GT with 5-speed manual transmission, bone stock.

I will take this opportunity to get a short throw shifter by MGW and ask our Ford dealer here to install it. My dealer advsied me to get Ford Racing parts (which would be the FRPP/Hurst shifter) but I want the MGW one.

Does the MGW shifter void the car's warranty from Ford?

Last edited by Hani; 11/9/09 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11/9/09, 02:51 PM

I imagine it does in one way or another technically speaking..But one thing is for sure, the MGW is built way better than most parts on the "stock" car....Beautiful piece....

And great to shift over and over again.....
Old 11/10/09, 09:59 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the reply 09AlloyGT

Any other opinions on this? do you guys still have warranty on your car after installing the MGW shifter?
Old 11/10/09, 11:38 PM
GT Member

If something goes wrong after the rebuild it would be too easy for them to blame the shifter.

I would go with the FRPP, or delay the shifter install after you are sure that they did the rebuild correctly.
Old 11/11/09, 10:51 AM
Len
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sycd
If something goes wrong after the rebuild it would be too easy for them to blame the shifter.

I would go with the FRPP, or delay the shifter install after you are sure that they did the rebuild correctly.
I agree although he will be overpaying for the FRPP - can't believe what Ford is charging http://tinyurl.com/ye98t7g for something everyone else is selling for under $200.
Old 11/11/09, 11:08 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only part of the warranty that may be void would be transmission problems found to be related to the shifter. (not real likely IMO since you're not actually going 'into' the tranny) The rest of the warranty will remain fully in tact. I'd get the MGW if that's what you want. If installed correctly, it should not contribute to any future problems, in my non ASE certified opinion.

Edit: that said, once transmission problems start, they tend to resurface so you may want to play it safe just to avoid any headaches.
However, whatever you decide, the rest of the warranty will remain in tact under US law. Not sure about Qatar.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 11/11/09 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11/13/09, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I just spoke with a local dealership's service writer, & he said that the bottom line is if a modification "CAUSES" a problem, then the repairs would not be covered. Since aftermarket shifters actually improve the shifting process by being more precise than the stock ones, I don't know how they could prove that the shifter is at fault. (I'm sure they'd try though!)
Old 11/14/09, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, Federal law states that a vehicle manufacturer has to show a part or modification could have or may have caused another failure. I'd tell your Ford rep to shove that other shifter up his a$$. He has no idea what he's talking about. Just because FRPP has many parts made by many manufacturers that doesn't mean they chose the best supplier. As usual, a Ford rep doesn't know what he's talking about.
Old 11/14/09, 12:28 PM
Len
GT Member

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act get's tossed around the Mustang forums whenever there's a discussion of aftermarket parts voiding the new car warranty. I'm no lawyer but here's my opinion. While the law does give you certain rights, the dealership still holds all the cards especially in cases where it's not totally obvious that the part had nothing to do with the failure.
If you put a blower on your car and the radio stops working, that's an easy win for you. I doubt the dealer or district manager will deny that claim and, almost certainly, an independent arbitrator (which I believe is part of the appeal process with Ford but I'm too lazy to get my manual to confirm) will uphold your claim should Ford deny it. Put a CAI on and turn signals stop working, it shouldn't be a problem getting that repaired either. Now let's put that MGW on and two months later, the tranny blows. The dealer denies coverage. You try the district manager showing him what a well built unit the MGW is - he denies you claiming that your purchase of a performance shifter indicates that you must have abused the transmission thru powershifting etc. Now you go to arbitration and, imo, this is the key because if he turns you down, you're screwed. He turns you down so now what? You still have rights on the Magnuson-Moss act but how do you enforce them? Sue the bastards? That's the easy response and I see it around here a lot. The reality is lawyers ain't cheap and is it worth the cost and the time with no assurance that you can prove your case?
I bought the MGW knowing it might be an issue of the transmission failed but it was a risk I was willing to take. That said I cannot understand why any dealership, especially in this economy, would turn down warranty work.

Last edited by Len; 11/14/09 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11/14/09, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I had the MGW and it is awesome - very high quality. I just purchased another one for my 95 Cobra without hesitation.

You can do the install yourself in a day, it is not that difficult (just a little yoga) at times. If you did it yourself and your tranny gives you problems, you can always swap it back.
Old 6/22/11, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Bumping this thread to add a little more insight...

I have had my MGW shifter for I guess almost 2 years now. The power train warranty was almost up on my car and since before the shifter install the transmission has been kinda pissy.

Second gear would sometimes not engage. You could be standing still and try to put it in second and it would be locked out until you raised up on the clutch pedal ever so slightly. Additionally, when shifting from 1st to 2nd under acceleration, around 5500 rpm, you would sometimes get a grind during the shift. It was no big deal as far as everyday driving and Ive lived with its finickiness for a long time.

Since the warranty was almost up I took it in to have an oil change and I commented on the way it shifted. They took a look at it and later told me they were unable to duplicate the problem. I went in for a ride along and of course it never did it for me either. In spite of this the tech said that there was a TSB on the second gear for some cars so they could write it up under that.

They replaced the syncro and also the second gear as well since it looked worn, and told me my clutch still looked good. All done under warranty and they never said a single word about any of the mods on the car, including the 4.10s and shifter.

I give mad props to the guys over at 5 Star Ford in NRH, Texas. Their customer service was first rate.