Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Swapping Power Steering From EPAS to Hydrualic

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 11:00 PM

Swapping Power Steering From EPAS to Hydrualic

I have a 2012 Ford Mustang 3.7L With a EPAS system and it has been giving me issues while drifting, from constantly turning off (losing all power steering functionality) and throwing false codes to the point where I cannot drift with it at all. I have used a Forscan tool to reset the codes on the PSCM and it will drive fine but as soon as I start driving aggressive or drifting it turns back off.

I want to swap my power steering to hydraulic. I was thinking of getting a rack and pinion setup from a 2010 4.0 Mustang as I've been told that it will fit as the S197 Chassis is compatible with gen 1 s197 part (for the most part)
I have found a few different conversion kits online but don't want to order the wrong parts, I have also been told I can use an electric power steering pump from a MR2

I don't know much about the swap and any information on it is quite hard to find as it feels like everyone is doing the opposite of what I want to do.

any information about the swap or links to part would be really helpful thank you
Old Today | 09:28 AM
The Analog Admin!

Welcome,

I would Advise Against it as The Deeper Down The Rabbit Hole You Go The More Issues Pop Up You Never Thought of. Unless You Find Somebody Who Has Actually Done it, And Lived With It You Do Not Want to Be The Trail Blazer Trying To Band Aid the Fall Out.

Throwing Drive Belts & Squeeling Belts are Some Issues That Come To Mind!

I like the 18" Listing Here on Rock Auto. Realize The Different Listings For Wheel Size Have To Do With Turning Radius And The Larger The Tire Size The More The Steering is Restricted So The Tires Don't Rub on Inside.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nd+pinion,7388

KC

The Factory Ones are PRICEY!
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts....html?pnc=3504