Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2008 GT/CS Headlight FACTORY HID to HALOGEN

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/21, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GT/CS Headlight FACTORY HID to HALOGEN

Hello All!

I have finally decided to give Mustang forums a shot after lurking in the shadows for the past few years so hello! I own a 2008 GT/CS that has factory HID headlights. Unfortunately the previous owner did not care for the car and the headlights are destroyed beyond repair (deep scratches, oxidation, cracks). Due to this I want to switch to a halogen option however everything I see on any forum leads me into confusion on what I have to do to make this happen. Some say I need to do intense modification wiring wise, some say only 2005-2007 need modification because they didn’t have HIDs, some are saying it’s plug and play. I do know for a fact a halogen bulb does not fit into the HID wiring harness as it’s different and I understand I’d have to change it over to halogen connectors. Other then the obvious is there any changes that need to be made to make halogen work on my 08? I was hoping to find answers before I dove into the project but most threads are incomplete or outdated. I would replace the HID with new HID but as you all may know the factory headlights are expensive and not worth it in my opinion. Overall thanks for the help!
Old 4/3/21, 06:01 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,110 Likes on 1,695 Posts
Coming over from factory HID to Halogen, I really don't think you would be very pleased with the significant reduction in brightness quality, at least I wouldn't anyhow. Being that your factory wiring harness is HID, you would in fact be required to change over to Halogen connectors, as a Halogen bulb will not fit into the HID wiring harness as mentioned. Therefore, if you don't wish to go the OEM HID replacement option? then I would consider going the aftermarket HID route instead. In fact, here's a source link provided below from a manufacturer who specializes in aftermarket and OEM HID replacement kits. I would seriously consider contacting Diode Dynamics and perhaps they can help out or at least provide you with your best options. Meanwhile, best of luck and welcome aboard.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/led-bulbs/oem-hid.html

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/3/21 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo error
Old 4/3/21, 09:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

m, I think it's worse and yet not worse, depending on how you look at it. The housings are the problem, specifically the lenses, not the HIDs, if I'm reading that right, which is why it's so expensive. They're somewhere around $1000+ each. The bulbs are about 70ish bucks at 'bouldermobile' (although currently there's a wholesaler's closeout for about 50 each, 30 day warranty, so...) and the ballast is about 225 each. Not exactly cheap if all that needs replacing, but compared to the housings, not a big.

OP, if I'm right in my interpretation of your situation, that the housings are the problem, then I'd say you should look into getting the obviously cheaper halogen assemblies, but then graft the lens from them onto the HID ones, as those pieces are the same. You can do the heat gun and oven method and get the lenses off. Clean up the sealing substance from the surfaces in question, stick some new silicone seal/glue in there, and there ya go, new housings and still HID!

I'd be doing that, because I'm hardheaded in that way. Also, wiring isn't messed with, car's still stock and that's a big plus in my book. Be worth it to not do that. I don't like un-stock wiring harnesses. It pained me, no kidding, to cut up my HVAC fan motor wiring. Still hurts to even type about it...

---

That said, if you're bound and determined to downgrade to the Halogens...

I could not find the information about the '08's situation directly, but I did find this:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...mplete-477279/
The bottom post (as of this writing, probably still is, but who knows, you know forums and Legacy Posts!
This details upgrading any '05-09 without HIDs to the '08-09 HID assemblies and wiring harness thereto. Just takes a little bit of modding of the '08-09 harness with some relocating of pins, a couple of diodes... then you simply plug it all in and tada or something, it works.

Note that you are *swapping the headlamp harnesses* in this mod. This is a key to the mod happening at all. Beyond the HID assemblies of course. There's extra wires to do.. things. And a relay box, I believe, the non-HIDs don't have. Therefore, reversing it would ostensibly require you to source a non-HID wiring harness for your car as well as the assemblies. And some repinning. And... well, I dunno, that diode thing is sorta odd to have to cut back out...

I'd absolutely want the 2008 Mustang shop manual with the correct wiring harness diagrams. The '05 online you see isn't going to cut it. Neither is the '11-14, it's different. Only the '08 and/or '09 will have the correct wiring. Study that first, the differences between the two wiring setups, to know how to reverse it. You don't want to kill things by accident, like an SJB or something...

I can tell you this, though, if this were an '11-14? Cake. They made it so the SJB is the same wiring to the headlamps, the difference is whether there's a ballast or not, and whether the headlamp harness is HID or not Pins are the same, relays the same otherwise on the SJB side, so the harnesses are a direct swap out... wiring wise, that is. The difference seems to be an extra left and right low beam wire going directly from the battery to the ballast.

I think.. Someone can chime in and say I'm wrong and prove it and that'll be great, I don't mind a'tall!

---

Also, watch this. Not saying this can save what you got, but hey, information's information, right? Right! If you can save these with a little elbow grease, why not?
(Not a sponsor, just a subscriber, it's relevant and such.)

However, if I did that, what I'd be looking at doing is to clear enamel paint these things at the end. Set them facing up and flat, shoot them lightly, yet completely. Let the paint self level and dry, then color sand and polish,. Shouldn't be any worse than the plastic coating they stick on them. Should last longer, and won't yellow as quick, if at all.

Just a thought. Oh, maybe you can go get some outta a pick a part (doesn't have to be any Mustang ones, just some to practice on) and figure out how to best do the sanding/polishing/coating/? That's what Imma do next 'round of headlamps. Because tired of swappin' them. My pops did this with his '90 one time... they looked and worked *fantastic* after that. So I have proof or something...

Hope all that mess helps, and good dang luck!

Last edited by houtex; 4/3/21 at 09:45 PM.
Old 4/3/21, 11:16 PM

The OP might also consider looking into OEM take off parts as a possible solution, that is if any factory HID housings can be found and at what price? Anyhow, here's a couple of link attachments below.

https://www.partrequest.com/auto-par...h-164589804510
https://www.partrequest.com/auto-par...l-254695214733

Old 4/4/21, 07:26 AM

Thank you for the responses! Yes you both are correct with your assumptions of the issue. It’s not that I don’t like the HID, I find them quite nice actually, however the headlight assemblies themselves are the issue and replacements are ridiculously priced for a set of headlights. On top of that to my knowledge nobody offers a HID assembly for our car on the aftermarket side of things which makes the situation worse. As much as I love the HID I can’t justify putting $800-1000+ In headlights into this car, especially since for that price they aren’t even in new condition. When it comes to changing the lenses, that has been attempted and it wasn’t exactly comfortable. I picked up a set of nearly new stock headlights and I started to tear those down first to learn and play it safe. Those headlights were bonded with something a lot of headlight companies refer to as Permaglue or Permatex. All in all it was a huge project to get just one apart after trying everything including baking, prying, etc. After all that I got nervous to even try the to attempt to take my HID assemblies apart as if I messed up it was game over. So now moving forward I was hoping switching to Halogen would be the easiest option. I was planning on picking a pair of projector retrofitted halogen headlights for this car but overall brightness isn’t my concern it’s the hideous look my headlights have now. I understand putting HID on these cars is a complex situation of wiring however if I just change the connectors to Halogen is there any reason it wouldn’t work? I only consider this because all the complexity in HID wiring is after the connector. The Ballast and all the HID equipment is on the back of the assembly from factory compared to many aftermarket options who have that all throughout the harness. By changing the connector, the bulb, and the assembly itself I’d assume it would make it Plug and Play because all the HID stuff would technically be “deleted”. I know the HID has extra fuses and other things but if the current is the same and the wiring all goes to the same place why wouldn’t it work? Yes there may be some extra stuff in the harness that wouldn’t really do anything anymore but why wouldn’t it work? I only say this because I’ve heard the headlight harnesses for our cars have been discontinued so I’d have to source one from a wrecked car to be able to do a swap which sounds a little complex and risky. However I’m here for help and I still very much appreciate everyone’s thoughts and opinions, like I said I could be completely wrong!
Old 4/4/21, 06:35 PM

As for the differences between fuses, harnesses and sockets for OEM HID vs Halogen? I'm not really sure, so I really wouldn't want to provide you with any type of inaccurate info. Perhaps getting your hands on a 2008 Mustang shop manual would provide the most accurate info?
Old 4/4/21, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
As for the differences between fuses, harnesses and sockets for OEM HID vs Halogen? I'm not really sure, so I really wouldn't want to provide you with any type of inaccurate info. Perhaps getting your hands on a 2008 Mustang shop manual would provide the most accurate info?
thanks for the reply! Any recommendations on where to source the manual? I’ve found a few around but they all seem to be a tad different, not sure if there is a source for an OFFICIAL Guide.
Old 4/4/21, 10:19 PM

I have been doing some research online with websites that have diagrams for our cars. Problem is I’m yet to find any wiring diagrams for HID cars I assume everything I’m finding is for Halogen unless it’s all the same (which I’m pretty sure it isn’t) attached below is what I’ve come up with this far
Old 4/4/21, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by MedusaS197
I have been doing some research online with websites that have diagrams for our cars. Problem is I’m yet to find any wiring diagrams for HID cars I assume everything I’m finding is for Halogen unless it’s all the same (which I’m pretty sure it isn’t) attached below is what I’ve come up with this far
update after more intensive research I found a second option if I don’t want to risk cutting open and converting my factory wiring harness. The part number for Halogen headlights is #8R3Z-14290-DA and for HID it is 8R3Z-14290-GA. Yes this is a more expensive route but it would be more OEM. Hardest part is sourcing this harness which both have been discounted. For me it would be easier to probably find a wrecked GT that had halogens and take the headlight harness but we shall see. Also not sure if this is true but apparently for 08-09 cars changing this harness would be plug and play vs the older models that didn’t have HID to begin with. If anyone finds any other info let me know and I’ll make sure to update this as time goes on for any future references of people in my position!
Old 4/5/21, 03:45 PM

I honestly cannot verify if the harnesses changed to all plug and play vs the older 2005-07 cars that didn't include factory HID. You might want to consider contacting your local Ford dealer's parts department manager and perhaps they can provide you with the accurate information or at least point you in the right direction
Old 4/17/21, 08:16 PM

Final Update

It’s been a week or so since I’ve responded to this forum as I’ve been waiting to get everything together before I dive into this project. A few days ago I picked up a step of halogen headlights to swap in as well as factory headlight pigtail connectors. My first test before diving into the extreme was to cut my hid connectors off and splice in halogen connectors the exact way the HID were. After doing so and plugging in the headlights, it was a SUCCESS! Yes I repeat to all HID owners who’ve wanted to swap to Halogen but didn’t have a clear answer it works. It’s as simple as getting 2 halogens connectors and swapping them on. Everything works and has continued to work for over a day now with the lights running. Yes I have an 08 which I know head electrical updates but I believe it should work the same for any HID equipped model. I paid 20$ for 2 connectors at my local auto part store and saved myself a few hundred dollars and time by trying this method rather then swapping the entire headlight harness. I’m glad everything works and I hope to give clarity to those who want to do this swap. Also thank you to everyone who contributed to this forum to help find an answer. I believe this swap is way more simple then the vice versa because HID is much more involved then halogen, so going to HID is a pain but going back is nearly plug and play.
Old 4/18/21, 07:10 AM

Thanks for following up and keeping us posted. Meanwhile, glad everything worked out with no related issues involved
Old 4/18/21, 12:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
You, sir, are a Knight in Shining Halogen Beams. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done that myself, worryin' some about blowing up modules... but that you did and it works? Well, awesomesauce and everyone got to learn this too!

Thanks indeed for posting the resolution to your situation. Good job, and good that it's workin' for ya!
Old 4/18/21, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
You, sir, are a Knight in Shining Halogen Beams. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done that myself, worryin' some about blowing up modules... but that you did and it works? Well, awesomesauce and everyone got to learn this too!

Thanks indeed for posting the resolution to your situation. Good job, and good that it's workin' for ya!
It wasn’t the plan at first but after stopping and thinking about it, HID is much more energy demanding then Halogen, and this car has a lot of extra precautions when HID equipped to prevent a major electrical failure if something goes wrong, so I figured I’d give it a shot. Between the dedicated relays and fuses for HID cars I figured if anything it wouldn’t work, but never cause a failure. Day 2 and so far everything is still fine. Yes I probably have a lot of excess in my harness now that was only needed with HID but I don’t want to touch anything and risk it stop working. I’ll just leave everything as is. Also forgot to note that the headlights I bought off someone had a full LED conversion so these are actually a lot brighter then my HID were. Yes part of that was the haze on the lens but also I found my HID to not be as white and not having as much depth as these do. Thanks again
Old 3/27/22, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update?

Hey man I’m just about to do the same thing to my Factory HID Harness. How are they doing a year later?
Old 3/27/22, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hunter/s197
Hey man I’m just about to do the same thing to my Factory HID Harness. How are they doing a year later?
hello my friend! I was hoping by making this post other people with the same idea would be able to benefit, as prior to my install I spent a year trying to research the issue with no clear answer. I still have absolutely no issues! My lights function completely the same as if they came OEM. No flickering, no need to turn them on and off, etc. I flick the switch and they are instantly there. Everything else on the car functions well and no errors in any systems have occurred. If you want to get out of the HID housing cost I completely recommend doing this swap and just getting a solid LED/HID kit made for the halogen housings and connectors like the swap I’ve done. if you have any questions or want to see the connectors I bought I surely will be willing to help you out. You can also get a quicker reply via my Instagram DM @MedusaS197
The following users liked this post:
houtex (3/28/22)
Old 4/9/23, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID to Halogen Conversion

Great info in this thread. Thank you. I have been searching for 6 months for a driver side HID housing and have had no luck. I bought the connectors and new Halogen housings and going to give this a shot.
The following users liked this post:
tyler_3v (3/1/24)
Old 6/30/24, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Still Working?

Hey OP! I'm in the process of swapping from HID do a more modern led setup. Are your lights still working? also... when you spliced the pigtails in, were the wires from the hid harness the same color as the pigtail? mine are NOT! what colors did you match up to get it to work correctly?
Thanks
Old 6/30/24, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Franco Auriemma
Hey OP! I'm in the process of swapping from HID do a more modern led setup. Are your lights still working? also... when you spliced the pigtails in, were the wires from the hid harness the same color as the pigtail? mine are NOT! what colors did you match up to get it to work correctly?
Thanks
Colors were different but you could always twist wires together to test before finally install, that’s what I did. I went 4 years with 0 issues across multiple headlight styles with my HID conversion. Unfortunately I do not have the car anymore but I do know the lights are still working! Hope that’s helpful!