GT

Installed Steeda Sport Springs and Sway bars. Now I have the dreaded popping sound.

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/17, 09:54 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed Steeda Sport Springs and Sway bars. Now I have the dreaded popping sound.

I was able to get the car aligned at my local dealership today after I installed the Steeda Sport springs and the Steeda Sway bars. The dealership said that everything looked good and tight and I did a good job the installation. However, I now have the dreaded popping/clunk sound coming from the front of the car everytime I go over a bump. It occurs the most at slow speeds. After talking to Steeda and Late Model Restoration, I was given two possible causes. LMR said that the stock shocks can cause the popping and many other costumers have said that they have the same problem after putting a 1 inch drop on thier cars. Steeda said that it sounds like I did not position the spring properly in the shock when I reinstalled it. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a quote "easy fix" before I go and tear it all apart again to check? I'm more temped to just get new Steeda shocks and then tear it down again. Will this clunking cause any major damage?
Old 7/1/17, 07:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Regarding the noise, it could be that the spring is not seated, or that they are using improper torque specs.

If this was installed at a dealership, you can ask them to reseat them and give us a call to ensure the install is done correctly.

You can get the shocks & it can also be done at the same time as install.

Is up to you ... but if not torqued or seated correctly, I am afraid you will still have noise.

We'll get you straightened out, send me your contact info & I will have one of our techs speak to you about your next steps.

You can email me at tim@steeda.com

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 7/1/17, 08:18 AM
GT Member

I'm the bonehead that did the install hahah! Ford only did the alignment and double checked everthing for me. Looks like that your saying is that I will have to jack up the car, remove the brake calibre, rotor, disconnect the shock strut completly and lower out the assembly and check it huh? It sounds like the drivers side is making the noise. Maybe I will get lucky and only have to fix the one side. I guess it will have to go back to the allingment shop again?
Old 7/1/17, 01:21 PM
GT Member

**UPDATE** Someone on the S550 facebook page said to check the middel shock mouthing nut, and see if it was loose. I could put a 21mm deep socket on it and just turn it freely! I used my power impack gun and torqued both sides down. Now they are not moving at all. I will take it for a test drive in a bit. Fingers crossed.....
Old 7/1/17, 05:05 PM
GT Member

Problem solved!! So quiet now! Handles sooooo much better than when it was stock! I'm very happy with this setup. Steeda has always done so well with their parts.
The following users liked this post:
Sabrinakhabir (10/26/21)
Old 5/3/21, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2008 Mustang 4.0 Coupe Deluxe for my daughter's first car. It had 115k miles on it. From the Carfax and my personal inspection, it has turned out to be exactly what I was hoping it to be, an all original car that had no history of major mechanical issues. It was just driven by previous owners who had to do nothing to it. I wanted to be the one who performed the first maintenance on it. It had the original serpentine belt, spark plugs, fuel filter filled with very dark brown mirk, totally flat shocks, springs and struts, cloth seats, complete with drivers side hole in the lower outside back rest and totally glazed over headlights. In other words, a perfect car that had never been messed with by a wannabe teen age mechanic.

This forum helped me find the "clunk" in the front end. I read where someone suggested that the fastest, easiest and cheapest first step in the process of elimination is to remove the front stabilizer bar. I removed it and wa-la...no more clunk. Someone had placed a plastic shim behind the passenger side mounting clamp in an attempt to stop the "clunk." That was the first and only shade tree fix that the car had. New bushings are on the way.