2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Removal of clutch spring assist

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/16, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Removal of clutch spring assist

I really didn't like the smoothness of the clutch on my new S550 compared to my S197, so I decided to remove the clutch assist spring . I am now very happy with the new clutch feel, much more sporty, less Nissan Sentra like.

My only concern is from Steeda's website, they pretend that:

Your clutch pedal will never fully return to stock position without any assist spring, and over time your slave cylinder may begin leaking due to constant pressure on its seals from the clutch pedal not returning to the stock position. Avoid these problems in the future by installing our Steeda S550 Mustang Clutch Assist Spring 35 lb/in into your GT, EcoBoost or V6.

What do you guys think? Is it true or is it just a scam from Steeda to sell their 35 pound/inch spring? I would personnally not need any assist since I like the feel right now, but on the other hand I don't want to scew up my slave cylinder to save 15$ on a spring.

Last edited by Kotenukimen; 9/19/16 at 12:37 PM.
Old 9/19/16, 12:55 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
For $15, I wouldn't take the risk.
Old 9/19/16, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I will probably not take the risk, spend the 15$ and buy Steeda's, but when I removed the spring, I didn't see any change in the travelling course of the clutch pedal. Without the spring, the clutch pedal seems to virtually go back to its stock position. The only difference for me is that the spring would assist you when you push the pedal, without changing anything in the final pressed/depressed position.

I was wondering if anyone has pictures of the clutch pedal in its stock position, before and after the removal of the spring, to compare. I might do it myself later this week and post it.

Last edited by Kotenukimen; 9/19/16 at 01:37 PM.
Old 9/19/16, 02:12 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Can you post a pic of the removed spring? It may be possible to just cut the stock spring and stretch it to fit back. Removing almost all the tension and leaving just enough to hold the pedal in position. I don't really see it giving you any problems either way though. Without the spring, it still takes a good bit of effort to force the slave against your clutch. If anything the spring may just give you a slight separation between the bearing and the clutch that may help the fluid cool. Not sure though.
Old 9/19/16, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is the stock spring versus Steeda's. The stock spring is stiff as hell, I don't think the "cutting and stretching it to fit back" is a viable option though.

Last edited by Kotenukimen; 9/19/16 at 02:22 PM.
Old 9/19/16, 02:42 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Kotenukimen
Here is the stock spring versus Steeda's. The stock spring is stiff as hell, I don't think the "cutting and stretching it to fit back" is a viable option though.
No it looks like a pretty heavy gauge to stretch out. Even the steeda seems excessive. Really doesn't need much spring to push the pedal back since it goes back by itself anyways. I would just hunt for a light spring somewhere. I would leave it off till you stumble on a spring somewhere that will work.
Old 9/19/16, 03:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Here is a great article I wanted to share ... nothing but positive comments after replacing the clutch spring-

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...great-results/

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-s197-mu...-in-11-14-all/

Please feel free to email at tim@steeda.com if I can help with ordering support.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/19/16, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I am sure its a good product and a rare item under 10$ that bears a lifetime warranty. My only concern was if it is necessary to have a spring and I wanted non-biased opinions. In the end I will surely buy it for peace of mind.
Old 9/20/16, 07:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I removed my spring for a few weeks and liked the feel. But after every shift I could pull the pedal up about a quarter inch, it would never return all the way up. Not sure if it was harmful or not. But having the pedal return all the way up seemed better in my OCD mind so I installed the steeds spring. It feels good, like in between stock spring and no spring. Plus the pedal now returns up all the way.
Old 10/4/16, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Conclusion I've installed Steeda's spring and it works perfectly. The clutch feel is more fluid than without any spring and feel way more sporty than the stock spring. A 10$ must-have mod.
The following users liked this post:
tj@steeda (10/4/16)
Old 10/4/16, 07:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Kotenukimen
Conclusion I've installed Steeda's spring and it works perfectly. The clutch feel is more fluid than without any spring and feel way more sporty than the stock spring. A 10$ must-have mod.
Glad to hear it ... it has been a tremendous "small" part for the Mustang community!

Best Regards,

TJ