05-09 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics 2005-2009 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics

MY COLOR RETROFIT INSTRUCTIONS {THE FIRST} MY COLOR 2005-2009 S-197 Gen 1

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/05, 05:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bassinbc+March 10, 2005, 9:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bassinbc @ March 10, 2005, 9:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-hgriz@March 4, 2005, 4:28 PM
I just got it back. The service manager said he was really impressed. It worked out great. He was going to start offering it to everyone that came in in a GT.

Man it's so cool. I really wanted the guages and the info center, but I didn't think I would care about the my color. I've been playing with it since I picked it up. Kevin thanks a bunch for the switches and the help.
Heath,
Did the dealership give you a warranty?
[/b][/quote]

Actually I didn't ask. I thought about it but didn't really want to know what they would say. But as Kevin said it should be covered for at least 1 year.
Old 3/19/05, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05stangkc@February 11, 2005, 12:12 AM
[attachmentid=11729]This Installation was completed at the Dealership I am employed at Yesterday!

This is my personal car and everything appears to function correctly!

The parts needed are the info/setup buttons and an IUP cluster.

All wiring was present in my particular 2005 GT Auto Application.

The install will need to be performed by a dealership as the Information in the existing cluster will have to be downloaded and reloaded into the existing cluster.

It was a simple operation on my particular application. And no difficulties were encountered. WARNING RESULTS MAY VARY!

In order for you Dealer to get you a cluster you will need current mileage and your complete vehicle vin #. Mileage is programmed at cluster center.

There are different IUP clusters for v6 & v8 applications and also depending on your vehicle bulid date! If you attempt to use a v8 cluster in a v6 most likely your tach will not funtion correctly.

When your Dealer orders the cluster from their authorized cluster replacement center have them state that they are doing an Upgrade and verify they will accept the standard cluster as a core. The Core could get expensive!

I do not have exact pricing on this conversion but would estimate it at $450.00 to $600.00 installed depending on your dealers pricing and labor rate!

FYI

KC

$450 to $600 you all should have just ordered the IUP in the first place. This sounds too much of a hassle, besides the wait is worth not having to hassle with a dealer for this.
Old 3/21/05, 09:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Super Sonic Blue Mustang+March 19, 2005, 4:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Super Sonic Blue Mustang @ March 19, 2005, 4:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05stangkc@February 11, 2005, 12:12 AM
[attachmentid=11729]This Installation was completed at the Dealership I am employed at Yesterday!

This is my personal car and everything appears to function correctly!

The parts needed are the info/setup buttons and an IUP cluster.

All wiring was present in my particular 2005 GT Auto Application.

The install will need to be performed by a dealership as the Information in the existing cluster will have to be downloaded and reloaded into the existing cluster.

It was a simple operation on my particular application. And no difficulties were encountered. WARNING RESULTS MAY VARY!

In order for you Dealer to get you a cluster you will need current mileage and your complete vehicle vin #. Mileage is programmed at cluster center.

There are different IUP clusters for v6 & v8 applications and also depending on your vehicle bulid date! If you attempt to use a v8 cluster in a v6 most likely your tach will not funtion correctly.

When your Dealer orders the cluster from their authorized cluster replacement center have them state that they are doing an Upgrade and verify they will accept the standard cluster as a core. The Core could get expensive!

I do not have exact pricing on this conversion but would estimate it at $450.00 to $600.00 installed depending on your dealers pricing and labor rate!

FYI

KC

$450 to $600 you all should have just ordered the IUP in the first place. This sounds too much of a hassle, besides the wait is worth not having to hassle with a dealer for this.
[/b][/quote]

I have couple of points to make about your reply.

1) IUP cars are hard to come by. At the time I bought my car the lawsuit had just started and I wasn't sure if it was even going to be an option in the future. You could however get the dash through the parts department. An odd loophole, but it worked.

2)Of course now you can order the car however you want, but to many people have spent way to much time waiting just to find out the dealer really didn't or cannot order their car this year.

3) I absolutely hate the silver dash panel. You might think it would be easier to replace this than what we did, but the passenger air bag is integrated into the dash panel it is actually very expensive. More than what I spent.

4) Adding up what I spent my total comes to right at $400 (with labor) for the entire IUP package. That's what it cost to get it from the factory. Had I bought the factory IUP and replaced the dash panels I would have spent way more.

So I think I came out better.
Old 3/22/05, 07:53 AM
GT Member

"quote---
1) IUP cars are hard to come by. At the time I bought my car the lawsuit had just started and I wasn't sure if it was even going to be an option in the future. You could however get the dash through the parts department. An odd loophole, but it worked."

hgriz,
I too want to upgrade to IUP without that silver dash. I have talked to my service dept and they are no help at all. I am going to go by there with the part numbers and see if I can get them to understand what I want. Thanks for the info.
Old 3/22/05, 09:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by bassinbc@March 22, 2005, 8:56 AM
"quote---
1) IUP cars are hard to come by. At the time I bought my car the lawsuit had just started and I wasn't sure if it was even going to be an option in the future. You could however get the dash through the parts department. An odd loophole, but it worked."

hgriz,
I too want to upgrade to IUP without that silver dash. I have talked to my service dept and they are no help at all. I am going to go by there with the part numbers and see if I can get them to understand what I want. Thanks for the info.
That's best way doing it to order my color parts then showing it to them after you get your my color parts.
Old 3/23/05, 07:52 AM
V6 Member

I got my parts ordered today for the Cluster and the Switch for the V6 Mustang. My price is in Canadian (Eastern Canada, Nova Scotia Dartmouth) and it is $410 for the Cluster and $87 for the switch. Now I just have to wait for the parts to show up. Booked for April 2 for the install.
For those that have done this, how long did it take to have the install done?

Parts arrived today... ...Install now taking place on the 31 Mar. Thursday, I can't wait..
Old 3/23/05, 08:50 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,576 Likes on 1,905 Posts
It should be approx. 2hrs if no complications are encountered.

kc
Old 3/23/05, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by 05stangkc@March 23, 2005, 9:53 AM
It should be approx. 2hrs if no complications are encountered.

kc
KC,
I also want to upgrade to the six gauge/msg center/mycolor dash. When I bought my GT a couple of weeks ago, the IUP was not available. I got the sport upgrade package instead. I called my ford dealer in Plattsmouth NE a couple days ago asking him if I can upgrade to the my color dash w msg center. I have not heard from him in a couple of days. Can I get the part numbers from you for the six gauge w/msg center/mycolor instrament cluster panel and the switches. This is going to be SWEET. I also ordered a Gtech Pro RR and C&L CAI with Diablosport predator tuner bundle. I flew from Omaha NE to Nashville TN to pick up my car. That is how limited the dealers are here, I guess there are no allocations for GTs in this area right now.

Are you saying that I can order the parts on the web and take them to a Ford dealer to have them installed? Is this something that a "backyard machanic can do, or do I have to take it to a dealer? And/or, can the dealer service center refuse me service because I bought the parts from the web and not from their parts department? I'm I correct in saying that the part number for the switches that control the msg center is 4R3Z-10D889-AAA. I did a search on the "genuine ford motor parts" webpage and could not find the item matching that number. When you replied to the base part #10848 for the instrament cluster, is that the part number for the six gauge cluster that you have in your car? :scratch:
Sorry for being so long winded.
Billy
Old 3/23/05, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

im confused, so would i be able to get the silver dashboard added on now? they had 1 IUP at the dealer and it was a cloth...so i didnt want it, i just lve the silver dashboard, it breaks up from all the black, so is it possible?
Old 3/24/05, 04:25 AM
V6 Member

Instrument cluster - 5r3z10849ha for the GT, 5r3z10849fa for the V6(Must be programmed by dealer or your car wont start)

Messages center switch - 4r3z10d889aaa (required part for instrument cluster, controls Mycolor and message center)

Steering Wheel - 4R3Z3600CAA (I was told dealer must temporarily disable airbag to install)

Shifter Handle - 4R3Z7213DA
Metal trimmed sill plates for charcoal interior -
5R3Z6313209BAC (left)
5R3Z6313208BAC (right)

I hope that his helps people out
Old 3/24/05, 06:34 AM

The 10849 is different depending on Production Date,MPH/KPH and V6/V8. Post 1 is an instruction sheet that any Dealer should be able to follow.

kc
Old 3/25/05, 08:26 AM

05stangkc and shave35,
Thanks for your input. I've called the dealer, found the parts. The parts guy said that the last two letters on the instrument cluster has changed for GTs built after NOV04. I'll be having my six gauge cluster and mycolor installed this week, depending on if the parts are available. Thanks again.
Old 3/25/05, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by maddtrapper@March 25, 2005, 7:29 AM
05stangkc and shave35,
Thanks for your input. I've called the dealer, found the parts. The parts guy said that the last two letters on the instrument cluster has changed for GTs built after NOV04. I'll be having my six gauge cluster and mycolor installed this week, depending on if the parts are available. Thanks again.
I look forward to another Successfull Upgrade! You will love it! Let us know your cost as the more people that do it The better the chance of the next guy getting a better deal!

KC
Old 3/26/05, 04:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have MYCOLOR but my secretary does not. I was going to do the install for her since it seems straight forward. My question is: If you buy the cluster and have it shipped, will they program her mileage before shipping. I was going to do the switch myself and I do not have any way of doing this?
Old 3/27/05, 08:12 PM

Cluster and switches have been ordered should be installed this week. The cluster was 280 and the switches were 46 dollars. It'll probably be around 450 to 500.

Upstate, The milage will be programed before shipping, and you'll have to have the dealer install the cluster/msg center and switches.
Old 3/27/05, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great thanks. Are you saying it has to be installed by the dealer and a weekend mechanic shouldn't or can't?
Old 3/28/05, 11:41 AM

[quote=upstate,March 27, 2005, 9:26 PM]
Great thanks. Are you saying it has to be installed by the dealer and a weekend mechanic shouldn't or can't?
[/quot

From what I understand, the dealer has to install the cluster/msg center or your car won't start. :bang: They probably have to configure the msg center with the car's internal computer.
Old 3/28/05, 08:10 PM

Well, my car is at the dealer. The cluster arrived today. We're just waiting for the switch, which may be in tomorrow. That cluster is going to look SWEET. I also ordered chromed door sills. If I get it back in a couple of days, I'm going to schedule a dyno this week to run it stock. CAI and predator tune will be installed this weekend if I get it dyno'd. Later.
Old 3/29/05, 08:29 PM

Successful install on the mycolor instrument cluster!!
Old 3/29/05, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by maddtrapper@March 29, 2005, 7:32 PM
Successful install on the mycolor instrument cluster!!
Welcome to the club!

kc

Quick Reply: MY COLOR RETROFIT INSTRUCTIONS {THE FIRST} MY COLOR 2005-2009 S-197 Gen 1