05-09 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics 2005-2009 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics

GT500 cluster installed - some observations MY COLOR 2005-2009 S-197 Gen 1

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/09, 06:35 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
OK , got mine installed and here's the scoop for anyone thinking about doing this. If you have an 07 or later and order yours from a dealer where they will put your vin and milage in the cluster , then you probably won't have to do anything else other than install the new cluster. This is extremely easy and you can do it yourself in less than 20 minutes , a dealer is probably going to charge you an hour minimum. I however have an 05 and I don't have the TPMS on my car so I got the warning on the message center and the light for it. So any feature you don't have on your car will give you a warning , such as ABS , TC , and etc. All of the information about this is stored in the cluster module configuration data and that is what has to be transported from the old cluster into the new one in order to get rid of the warnings , if you don't get any warnings you won' need to do this. One dealer wanted to charge me two hours to do this , one for each cluster he said , but I checked with another dealer and they did it for one hour labor. I got my cluster from Steve at Tousley ford , 800.328.9552 , for $237.42 and since my old cluster was a 2 gauge I didn't have the info center and had to order the switch too and it was $42.24. Then add shipping and a $300 core charge that is refunded when you return the old cluster. Hope this helps anyone else considering do this ...

05Yellow-

What do you mean by your old cluster was a 2 gauge? I think I am going to order the gt500 cluster, showing no oil pressure and incorrect temp is driving my crazy!
Old 12/28/09, 06:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
My car didn't come with the info center and the 4 gauges , it only had 2 gauges for the temp and fuel. Fortunately mine was an early 05 and so it still had the harness for the info center and all I had to do was get the info button switch and plug it in to get it working. Also the GT500 cluster has the boost gauge in place of voltage , but the boost doesn't work on the GT so you really only get 3 functional gauges ...
Old 12/28/09, 07:18 PM
GT Member

My car didn't come with the info center and the 4 gauges , it only had 2 gauges for the temp and fuel. Fortunately mine was an early 05 and so it still had the harness for the info center and all I had to do was get the info button switch and plug it in to get it working. Also the GT500 cluster has the boost gauge in place of voltage , but the boost doesn't work on the GT so you really only get 3 functional gauges ...
Is it possible to get the new cluster and install it without having to go to the dealership?? They want like 200 to install it plus the cost of making a new key.. Steve at tousley said they put the mileage in the new cluster, so I'm assuming there could be warning lights that come on, but that it would still work, right? Any help is appreciated,

pat

Last edited by dsmdiggler; 12/28/09 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12/29/09, 06:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Pat , I'm not sure what you mean by the cost of a new key , there is no new key required. Steve at Tousley told me that some other models with the PATS need the keys to be set for the cluster , but the mustangs don't , so that may be why they mentioned a new key. All you have to do is pull the old cluster , which is extremely easy , and put the new one it. If you have an 07 GT or newer then you don't need to do anything else , but since mine was an 05 I didn't have the TPMS and so I got the warning for it on the new cluster. The warning light for the TPMS and the warning message in the window will both appear each time you start the car. You can hit reset on the info center buttons and the warning message will go away till the next time you start the car , but the warning light will stay on all the time , so if this doesn't bother you then you don't need to go to the dealer. The information about this is stored in your old cluster and if you want to get rid of the warnings then you have to have the cluster module configuration transferred from the old cluster to the new cluster. This requires a dealer or some shop with the ford scan tool to do this , one dealer wanted to charge me 3 hours labor , but I found another one that did it for 1 hour $110 ...
Old 12/29/09, 09:57 AM
GT Member

Pat , I'm not sure what you mean by the cost of a new key , there is no new key required. Steve at Tousley told me that some other models with the PATS need the keys to be set for the cluster , but the mustangs don't , so that may be why they mentioned a new key. All you have to do is pull the old cluster , which is extremely easy , and put the new one it. If you have an 07 GT or newer then you don't need to do anything else , but since mine was an 05 I didn't have the TPMS and so I got the warning for it on the new cluster. The warning light for the TPMS and the warning message in the window will both appear each time you start the car. You can hit reset on the info center buttons and the warning message will go away till the next time you start the car , but the warning light will stay on all the time , so if this doesn't bother you then you don't need to go to the dealer. The information about this is stored in your old cluster and if you want to get rid of the warnings then you have to have the cluster module configuration transferred from the old cluster to the new cluster. This requires a dealer or some shop with the ford scan tool to do this , one dealer wanted to charge me 3 hours labor , but I found another one that did it for 1 hour $110 ...

Thank you for the info, I called Tousley and Steve is gone till tomorrow. Hopefully they can get me a new cluster fast, I am sick of this non working POS... The Shelby cluster looks amazing!
Old 12/29/09, 12:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The Shelby cluster does look good ... I also like the fact that the tach is on the right hand side instead of the left side like it is on the GT cluster. I have a couple of scan gauges and an A/F gauge in the center console and it's easier to watch the tach too when it's on the right hand side. Also , if you don't have the info center on your old cluster , you'll need to make sure you have the harness behind the fake plate and order the switch too ...
Old 12/30/09, 04:47 AM
GT Member

The Shelby cluster does look good ... I also like the fact that the tach is on the right hand side instead of the left side like it is on the GT cluster. I have a couple of scan gauges and an A/F gauge in the center console and it's easier to watch the tach too when it's on the right hand side. Also , if you don't have the info center on your old cluster , you'll need to make sure you have the harness behind the fake plate and order the switch too ...
I ordered the GT500 cluster yesterday from Mike R. at Tousley Ford, he was a big help. I have the info center on my current cluster, so I think I'm all set. I have heard other people say they like the tach on the right as well, I think it does make sense. I am getting excited for this thing to get here, I will upload pics when I get it installed.
Old 12/30/09, 05:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Congrats , I think you'll like it ...
Old 12/30/09, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dsmdiggler
I ordered the GT500 cluster yesterday from Mike R. at Tousley Ford, he was a big help. I have the info center on my current cluster, so I think I'm all set. I have heard other people say they like the tach on the right as well, I think it does make sense. I am getting excited for this thing to get here, I will upload pics when I get it installed.
What did he charge you? And that included setting the mileage/VIN info?
Old 12/30/09, 12:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I gave my price in post #40 , but here it is again , the cluster was $237.42 and a $300 core charge which is returned when you send your old cluster back. The shipping will depend on where you live , mine was about $15. Also if you need the info center switch it was $42.42. I'm assuming he paid the same as me since it was only about 3 weeks ago ...
Old 1/1/10, 05:22 PM
GT Member

I gave my price in post #40 , but here it is again , the cluster was $237.42 and a $300 core charge which is returned when you send your old cluster back. The shipping will depend on where you live , mine was about $15. Also if you need the info center switch it was $42.42. I'm assuming he paid the same as me since it was only about 3 weeks ago ...
05Yellow, yes same price. Those guys at Tousley are awesome.

Jedikd, yes they asked for my VIN and mileage and it is coming pre-programmed. Same price as others have said ($237 + 300 core), but I didn't need the info center. I did however have to pay more for shipping to get it here this weekend. Cluster is arriving tomorrow via FedEx.

I am going to install it without going to the dealership, if it doesn't work then I'll have to suck it up and take it there. I will post results and pics tomorrow.

Last edited by dsmdiggler; 1/1/10 at 05:23 PM.
Old 1/2/10, 02:35 PM
GT Member

Done, sort of.

Attached Thumbnails GT500 cluster installed - some observations MY COLOR 2005-2009 S-197 Gen 1-dsc09569.jpg  
Old 1/2/10, 02:44 PM
GT Member

One issue...

This thing looks great! I do have one issue, the cluster beeps at me on the freeway!! (Due to the TPMS failure) It also beeps at me when I start the car up, which is no big deal and was expected. When I start the car I just hit the reset button and the "TPMS FAILURE" message goes away, but I still get the beep on the freeway. Anyone have an idea on how to stop the beeping on the freeway?? I'm not opposed to blasting the music for a couple weeks, but a more permanent solution would be great. Anyone? Thanks,

Pat

Last edited by dsmdiggler; 1/2/10 at 02:49 PM.
Old 1/2/10, 03:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd love to do this, but that boost gauge just sitting there doing nothing would drive me nuts.
Old 1/2/10, 05:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only way to correct the settings is to have the dealer scan your vehicle with the asbuilt data. The asbuilt data is the information of how your vehicle was programmed at the factory.
This requires the use of the Ford IDS-VCM programmer.
Old 1/2/10, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I'd love to do this, but that boost gauge just sitting there doing nothing would drive me nuts.
I can sympathize with that, I wish it was functional too. I could use a supercharger as well. I will say that it drove me 1 billion times MORE nuts to have the oil pressure and temp gauges sitting at the bottom doing nothing either. Plus, upgrading to the GT500 was the exact same price as the GT cluster. I got mycolor (which I didn't have before) and the tach on the right instead of the left, which imo is waaaay better. Hopefully I can always overlook the boost gauge just sitting there... Maybe I'll just slap some electrical tape over the boost gauge and call it a day..
Old 1/2/10, 08:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by data174
The only way to correct the settings is to have the dealer scan your vehicle with the asbuilt data. The asbuilt data is the information of how your vehicle was programmed at the factory.
This requires the use of the Ford IDS-VCM programmer.
Thank you for the info I will stop by the dealer this week. Hopefully they won't charge me up the a$$ to check it out... Will they need to use my old cluster as well? Or can I just drive over there and have them fix it? Thanks!

Pat

Last edited by dsmdiggler; 1/2/10 at 08:23 PM.
Old 1/3/10, 10:28 AM

they can look up the as built data from your vin and they can download the info to your cluster, my dealer charged me 65.00. Heres a pic of my cluster
Old 1/3/10, 10:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cubican
they can look up the as built data from your vin and they can download the info to your cluster, my dealer charged me 65.00. Heres a pic of my cluster
Dammit Pedro stop doing that, you always cost me money
Old 1/3/10, 05:51 PM
GT Member

Figured out the highway beep

I thought there was something wrong when my new cluster beeped on the freeway. I noticed that it happened today everytime I hit about 75mph, I'm assuming this is normal right??? Is there a way to turn it off?

Quick Reply: GT500 cluster installed - some observations MY COLOR 2005-2009 S-197 Gen 1