05-09 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics 2005-2009 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics

2005-2009 Mustang S-197 Installed Blue LEDs in factory switches (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/08, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deric
Update for those asking about the RGB kits:

I was able to get a good etching on my test board and hope to get the RGB kit moving a bit quicker than it has been going. I'm currently looking into a stand-alone controller since my CarPC is still in pieces. I should have something in the next few weeks.
This will be awesome. Especially if it ties in with the MyColor controls.
Old 6/27/08, 07:26 PM
V6 Member

any updates?
Old 6/27/08, 07:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Dang that is nice!

Jed
Old 6/27/08, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 08gt
any updates?
I'm in the middle of a redesign with the kit right now and have been too busy at work (16 - 20 hr days) to get any farther on it recently.
Old 6/27/08, 09:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

wow this is cool guys

i really want to do this some day..

looks cool

i would probably go with blue LED's for my car... since thats what color i always have mycolor set to
Old 7/6/08, 11:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
I am, when my 3/36 is up, going to do this to my 2006. In the blue, of course. Hate bein' a copy cat, but seriously... tis the way to go. Mycolor is set to this already, and I hate the mismatch.

So. To do this, Deric, you said you'd use a different MCD Led.

The ones you used were these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320168063663

I found these: http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2

But am confused. There's different voltages, and that appears to affect the MCD to some extent.

I suppose the best way is just to go to an electronics store and get some blue ones, then go to a wreckin' yard and find a smashed mustang of 05-08 vintage and remove some parts, then do some testing on them, to be sure I get the right ones, eh? Yeah, that'll be what I do.

Now, in regards to the radio... Deric, you mentioned the radio's acrylic panel would have to be removed and another acquired that was tinted correctly. Can a piece (or a few pieces, two, for example) of clear with a bit blue window tint (or other transparent colored plastic sheeting) applied do the trick, or must I find a shop that can produce the tinted acrylic? Gotta cost an arm and a leg for that, eh?

Is the dash info center in the gauge cluster a similar proposition, or is it green letters, and there's nothing I can do about it? (Not looked at it yet myself.)

If you, or anyone, has any info on these things to help me (and probably some others) be more edumacated, I's be very much appreciatatory towardificate yas!

Thanks in advance!

/Not the only thing I'm waiting to do because of original warranty expiration issues...

Update: Found this for the acrylic, maybe.. Have to buy a foot square sheet, but hey... there it is.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/var...ant%5Fid=44676
I've cut plastic before, but not 1/4" Wonder if a 1/2 price 1/8" sheet would do the trick?
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/var...ant%5Fid=44445

More food for thought...

Last edited by houtex; 7/7/08 at 12:08 AM. Reason: I wasn't done the first time, obvously. Nor the second.
Old 7/7/08, 04:24 AM
Cobra Member

The voltage of the factory switches was around 2-3 VDC if I remember correctly. Mine are a bit brighter than factory but I've heard 300mcd is pretty close to factory. Here's a picture showing the two side by side

My wife drove the car at night and the blue LEDs bugged her due to the brightness difference. I've gotten used to them so it doesn't bug me so much.

I tried cutting acrylic and it failed. The next thing I am going to try is to have someone make a mold of the lens and then try color casting it. This should work for those wanting other colors as well.

If you could find spare sets of switches it would definately be the way to go. When I tried to locate spares for this project it would have cost about $200 to acquire them. I didn't want to spend that so I finally just took a chance.

Originally Posted by houtex
I am, when my 3/36 is up, going to do this to my 2006. In the blue, of course. Hate bein' a copy cat, but seriously... tis the way to go. Mycolor is set to this already, and I hate the mismatch.

So. To do this, Deric, you said you'd use a different MCD Led.

The ones you used were these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320168063663

I found these: http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2

But am confused. There's different voltages, and that appears to affect the MCD to some extent.

I suppose the best way is just to go to an electronics store and get some blue ones, then go to a wreckin' yard and find a smashed mustang of 05-08 vintage and remove some parts, then do some testing on them, to be sure I get the right ones, eh? Yeah, that'll be what I do.

Now, in regards to the radio... Deric, you mentioned the radio's acrylic panel would have to be removed and another acquired that was tinted correctly. Can a piece (or a few pieces, two, for example) of clear with a bit blue window tint (or other transparent colored plastic sheeting) applied do the trick, or must I find a shop that can produce the tinted acrylic? Gotta cost an arm and a leg for that, eh?

Is the dash info center in the gauge cluster a similar proposition, or is it green letters, and there's nothing I can do about it? (Not looked at it yet myself.)

If you, or anyone, has any info on these things to help me (and probably some others) be more edumacated, I's be very much appreciatatory towardificate yas!

Thanks in advance!

/Not the only thing I'm waiting to do because of original warranty expiration issues...

Update: Found this for the acrylic, maybe.. Have to buy a foot square sheet, but hey... there it is.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/var...ant%5Fid=44676
I've cut plastic before, but not 1/4" Wonder if a 1/2 price 1/8" sheet would do the trick?
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/var...ant%5Fid=44445

More food for thought...
Old 7/7/08, 12:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Kewlies. Thanks Deric!
Old 9/9/09, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

so doe the a/c controls have a green film on them also? I want to do this mod but Im planning on using white LEDs. . .
Old 9/9/09, 12:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No. The only parts that have a film on them are the letters for the auto shifter and the the part that lights up when you have your foglights on.
Old 9/9/09, 04:24 PM

I'm going to have to add this to the mod list.
Old 9/11/09, 09:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kingofsting
so doe the a/c controls have a green film on them also? I want to do this mod but Im planning on using white LEDs. . .
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
No. The only parts that have a film on them are the letters for the auto shifter and the the part that lights up when you have your foglights on.
The arch area of the headlight switch also has the green film. I used some ultra-fine sandpaper to sand to the white layer.
Old 9/12/09, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

What grit did you use? 800 - 2000?
Old 9/13/09, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kingofsting
What grit did you use? 800 - 2000?
I just used the finest I had sitting around at the time. I'm sorry I don't remember the grit rating.
Old 9/13/09, 08:14 PM
GT Member

Has anyone tried to change the color of the LCD in the DIC and/or the radio? I found an awesome DIY a while back but cant find it anywhere now...
Old 9/14/09, 04:49 PM
Cobra Member

The LCD in the radio is white not green. It's only green due to the lens. I tried to get a color cast of the lens in blue but the guy never came through on the deal. As far as the cluster I didn't have to take mine apart so I am unsure if it is native green or white with a green film.

Originally Posted by memphisstylee
Has anyone tried to change the color of the LCD in the DIC and/or the radio? I found an awesome DIY a while back but cant find it anywhere now...
Old 9/18/09, 12:37 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the info Deric. Im not too worried about the radio since ill be replacing it soon anyways. As far as the cluster goes, I gotta send mine to Saleen for recalibration for their 200 mph cluster so ill see what color the lcd is while I got it out. Ill post it up once I check it out.
Old 9/18/09, 03:51 PM
GT Member

Quick Update: got bored and pull the dash apart today. The LCD itself in the cluster is an off-white sort of really light bluish green color and then the gauge face has a green cover like the radio. Any thoughts of how to get the green off without destroying the face? I figure get the green off and then use some thin transparent plastic in its place and that should be good enough to get the color desired.

UPDATE WITH PICS:
So I went out on a limb after reading a couple DIYs on other car forums. I went to a local costume shop and picked up a couple sheets of lighting gels(clear pieces of colored plastic). Next I pulled the dash apart again and proceed to use que-tips with acetone on them to remove the green off the back of the gauge face. It pulled the green right off buttttt it made the clear screen a little cloudy in a few spots At least it was my stock one and not my new Saleen one. So if anyone has any tips how to fix this or a less harsh chemical then let me know. After all that, I cut a 1-5/16" x 3-1/2" section of the red lighting gel and slid it behind the gauge face. and here is the result...

Last edited by memphisstylee; 9/18/09 at 05:37 PM.
Old 9/20/09, 09:45 PM
Cobra Member

Cool! A plastic polish may take care of the cloudy lens issue.

Originally Posted by memphisstylee
Quick Update: got bored and pull the dash apart today. The LCD itself in the cluster is an off-white sort of really light bluish green color and then the gauge face has a green cover like the radio. Any thoughts of how to get the green off without destroying the face? I figure get the green off and then use some thin transparent plastic in its place and that should be good enough to get the color desired.

UPDATE WITH PICS:
So I went out on a limb after reading a couple DIYs on other car forums. I went to a local costume shop and picked up a couple sheets of lighting gels(clear pieces of colored plastic). Next I pulled the dash apart again and proceed to use que-tips with acetone on them to remove the green off the back of the gauge face. It pulled the green right off buttttt it made the clear screen a little cloudy in a few spots At least it was my stock one and not my new Saleen one. So if anyone has any tips how to fix this or a less harsh chemical then let me know. After all that, I cut a 1-5/16" x 3-1/2" section of the red lighting gel and slid it behind the gauge face. and here is the result...

Old 9/21/09, 11:25 AM
GT Member

Yea I meant to post up how I fixed it but ive been ***** to the wall busy with school. I took some 1000 grit sandpaper and wetsanded it down to where it looked even and then I took my 6" buffer and polished it down with some Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 and it was as clear as glass. So for all stock gauges I recommend this for anyone as I had no experience going into it and it turned out awesome. But for my Saleen 200mph gauge cluster, which was made by SIMCO, the window was solid green and not just coated with green like the stock gauges. So with a very steady hand I had to completely cut the window out with a razor blade and filed down the edges and rounded the corners. Then I just put the red lighting gel behind it and in the end it looked like it came from the factory like that so I was very pleased. Ill get pics of both of them as soon as the cluster gets back from being recalibrated at Saleen.

Quick Reply: 2005-2009 Mustang S-197 Installed Blue LEDs in factory switches (lots of pics)