05-09 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics 2005-2009 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics

2005-2009 Mustang S-197 Installed Blue LEDs in factory switches (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/08, 07:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I used my spare wheel, as I now have the Bullitt wheel, to test. Removing the airbag is the way to go on these wheels. Otherwise I would have had some real trouble prying the module out.

Cheers
Old 2/8/08, 02:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm....maybe I need to make a trip up to visit Deric. I love this and agree the MyColor option only seems to be blue in my car...

Love this but not sure if I have the time or the tools to do it. I might have to see about taking some leave and trying it though....

Old 2/8/08, 07:31 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackitraz
If anyone is seriously interested in this mod, I did this on my old Celica and it's not as hard as it would appear if you use a low watt soldering iron. Also, there's a guy who sold kits of LED's, he's branching out into more than just Japanese cars, he might put something together for a Mustang if someone asked him to look into it. I don't know about controllers, but he seemed to wire all sorts of crazy things together, but he was really good about customer service on the Celica forums I used to read.

Btw, I don't know him personally, and I don't have a stake in this, I'm just passing it along because I liked what I got from him in the past (changed all my led's to blue, changed gauge face). The link is www.ledmod.com

If posting this link violates anything, please let me know.
That color changing face at the redline is awesome looking!
Old 2/8/08, 07:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may need to do this when I get a new radio. Would be the perfect time it seems to do this.
Old 2/11/08, 09:09 PM

That is a sweet idea..... Makes me wonder....
Does anyone know if you can add my color to a mustang that originally came w/o my color?
Old 2/12/08, 01:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boolair
That is a sweet idea..... Makes me wonder....
Does anyone know if you can add my color to a mustang that originally came w/o my color?
You can if the harness is present. If you have Traction control you probably have the harness. You would just need the switch and a cluster. Details on this can be found here.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=14688
Old 2/16/08, 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

So has anyone else done this mod yet? Curious to see what color people are using. Also I have the stuff in to make the boards I just need to get the designs finallized.
Old 2/16/08, 09:34 AM

Your mod is definately on my to-do list, but I'm waiting for your My Color mod before I start soldering..

Or.. if I have time I will look into the Ambient Lighting package lights, and see if I can tie it in to the ambieng lighting button. (Less customizability, but quicker color selection)

How do you plan to make your LEDs work with MyColor? Are you going to have your own circuitry between the LED and the factory PCB, or are you going to create a replacement for the factory PCB?
Old 2/16/08, 01:06 PM
Cobra Member

Since the mycolor uses the CAN system to change the color options mine will be controlled by an external controller. I plan on rebuilding the factory PCBs except for the AC controls to allow use of PLCC-4 LEDs. Again this will require an additional harness from the controller to the PCBs. The 05-06 AC controls have enough clearance for an overlay board.

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Your mod is definately on my to-do list, but I'm waiting for your My Color mod before I start soldering..

Or.. if I have time I will look into the Ambient Lighting package lights, and see if I can tie it in to the ambieng lighting button. (Less customizability, but quicker color selection)

How do you plan to make your LEDs work with MyColor? Are you going to have your own circuitry between the LED and the factory PCB, or are you going to create a replacement for the factory PCB?
Old 2/17/08, 09:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Deric
Yes I am awaiting a blue replacement from an acrylic shop
Hey Deric,

Have you gotten the blue replacement from the acrylic shop yet? How much is it costing you and what shop are you using? I have ordered my leds and plan on doing this same mod as well. Great job!!!

Terry
Old 2/18/08, 09:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Water_Junky
Hey Deric,

Have you gotten the blue replacement from the acrylic shop yet? How much is it costing you and what shop are you using? I have ordered my leds and plan on doing this same mod as well. Great job!!!

Terry
The acrylic shop couldn't add the bevels to the lens that I wanted so they just gave me a piece the size I needed. It would require me to sand the piece to the factory shape. Since it was temporary anyway I decided to push ahead with my CarPC install and put the shaker mod on hold.
Old 2/21/08, 05:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

i don't have mycolor but i think this is a sweet mod and might be doing it when it warms up a bit.... what colors would go well with the stock gauge without mycolor?
Old 2/23/08, 06:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deric
So has anyone else done this mod yet? Curious to see what color people are using. Also I have the stuff in to make the boards I just need to get the designs finallized.
I'm nearly done with my switchover (I have HATED those sickly green dashlights since the day I bought my car). Finished everything but the lock and window switches in the doors.

Used 500mcd blue which looks extremely good to my eye, but if someone wants to exactly match the intensity of the default blue in the gauge cluster a little lower output would be the ticket (I'd rather have a bit of extra visibility on the switches at night)
Old 2/23/08, 06:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't forget the pics!
Old 2/23/08, 08:13 PM
Cobra Member

Since the dash is brighter than the stock switches I think 300mcd will be close to the dash but its just a guess.

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I'm nearly done with my switchover (I have HATED those sickly green dashlights since the day I bought my car). Finished everything but the lock and window switches in the doors.

Used 500mcd blue which looks extremely good to my eye, but if someone wants to exactly match the intensity of the default blue in the gauge cluster a little lower output would be the ticket (I'd rather have a bit of extra visibility on the switches at night)
Old 2/23/08, 08:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just ordered my LEDs tonight. This should be fun!
Old 2/27/08, 09:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Fryguy
Just ordered my LEDs tonight. This should be fun!
If you like electronic/soldering type projects, yes, it is very enjoyable
Old 3/7/08, 06:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

My LEDs arrived yesterday and I just ordered replacement switches and dash panels. Figured I would pull a set from a junkyard and install the LEDs in them, then just swap out the modules.

At least this way if I run into any problems I have a back out plan.
Old 3/7/08, 07:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Fryguy
My LEDs arrived yesterday and I just ordered replacement switches and dash panels. Figured I would pull a set from a junkyard and install the LEDs in them, then just swap out the modules.

At least this way if I run into any problems I have a back out plan.
Coward!

Actually that makes good pretty sense if you want to be cautious
Old 3/7/08, 07:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Coward!

Actually that makes good pretty sense if you want to be cautious
For the small price of the parts, in the very least I can practice on the first couple just to get the hang of it all.

Quick Reply: 2005-2009 Mustang S-197 Installed Blue LEDs in factory switches (lots of pics)