Tms Members Photo Threads Misc. Years Tms Members Photo Threads Misc. Years

Members Random Picture Gallery Non Mustang Shots of Interest!

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/12, 12:56 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Yes, its technically part of the Bitterroot range, but the far west edge of it close to the Or. border.
So you drove over Lolo from the Flathead side?
Old 12/2/12, 01:00 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
So you drove over Lolo from the Flathead side?
Its been quite a while since I was there, the little guy took those pics this summer when he was backpacking Idaho from one end to the other with my parents.
Old 12/2/12, 01:07 AM
Post *****

Its been quite a while since I was there, the little guy took those pics this summer when he was backpacking Idaho from one end to the other with my parents.
As much as I love driving Smith River Canyon to the Coast, this drive is by far the wildest I've been on in Oregon, down Rattlesnake to Grande Rhonde River, then up again till you crest the ridge and see the Wallowa's. You're heading south from Lewiston with Hells Canyon on your left.
Old 12/2/12, 01:10 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

As much as I love driving Smith River Canyon to the Coast, this drive is by far the wildest I've been on in Oregon, down Rattlesnake to Grande Rhonde River, then up again till you crest the ridge and see the Wallowa's. You're heading south from Lewiston with Hells Canyon on your left.

Name:  2012_07_2202146DSCN0935_zpsa693ffcd.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  183.8 KB
Old 12/2/12, 01:15 AM
Post *****

The pics on this link has more guard rails than when I drove it in 01 & 95. Bikers took it going north. X.2 was white knuckled the whole time and dang near hyperventilating!

http://oregonmotorcyclist.com/ridepa...se-lewistonhwy

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/2/12 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12/2/12, 01:28 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be prepared. Once you go mountain you never go back to flatland.
This is the truth.

Whenever I go to the east coast (like florida) I just can't get over the fact that there are no mountains. And I only live at the foothills in this part of Cali, but I love going for hikes and enjoying nature the way God intended. The mountains are great
Old 12/2/12, 01:38 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
The pics on this link has more guard rails than when I drove it in 01 & 95. Bikers took it going north. X.2 was white knuckled the whole time and dang near hyperventilating!

http://oregonmotorcyclist.com/ridepa...se-lewistonhwy

dang that looks fun!
Old 12/2/12, 01:45 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
This is the truth.

Whenever I go to the east coast (like florida) I just can't get over the fact that there are no mountains. And I only live at the foothills in this part of Cali, but I love going for hikes and enjoying nature the way God intended. The mountains are great
I hate to tell you, but there are a lot of mountains on the east coast. Spend some time in north east Georgia, eastern North Carolina, western Tennessee, etc. Where do you think the Tail of the Dragon is? These mountains may not be as high in altitude as the ones out west, but I guarantee that they are epic. Ask Charlie about the mountains in the east.
Old 12/2/12, 02:25 AM
Post *****

Ask Charlie about the mountains in the east.
I know the hills and hollars of the Ozarks will wear your butt out quick on foot. But geez, the highest Missouri "mountain" is Tom Salk at 1700' feet. But I haven't been east of the Mississippi except for Memphis and Atlanta. And that bar just across the river in Illinois during college (freshman @19). lol

So since I've seen real upheaval mountains and volcanoes, unless they reach above tree line and are snow capped most of the summer - if not all, back east they're just big foothills to me anymore.

I used to live near the base of Mt. Diablo in the Bay area but its like what... 3800ish? Hell I crap above 4000' most everyday. 32 years now...

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/2/12 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12/2/12, 02:36 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I know the hills and hollars of the Ozarks will wear your butt out quick on foot. But geez, the highest Missouri "mountain" is Tom Salk at 1700' feet. But I haven't been east of the Mississippi except for Memphis and Atlanta, and that bar in Illinois in college. lol

So since I've seen real upheaval mountains and volcanoes, unless they reach above tree line and are snow capped most of the summer - if not all, back east they're just big foothills to me anymore.

I used to live near the base of Mt. Diablo in the Bay area but its like what... 3800ish? Hell I crap above 4000' most everyday.

I assume you're talking about peaks in the Ozarks when you say the highest peak it 1700 feet. The highest peak east of the Mississippi is Mount Mitchell over in NC at almost 6800 feet. And there is some strange weather there, even though its in the South, since records have been kept there has been snow recorded on Mount Mitchell in all 12 months of the year at some point since they've been keeping track. And as far as heights, I know they don't compare to the heights out West but that 1700 you mentioned is nowhere near the highest here, its higher than that here at the house. I can drive a short distance and be over 5,000 feet. And like you've said, these mountains are different, they may not be as high as the ones out West, but they are rugged and will wear your *** out when hiking.
Old 12/2/12, 02:50 AM
Post *****

Mount Mitchell over in NC at almost 6800 feet.
can drive a short distance and be over 5,000 feet.

And like you've said, these mountains are different, they may not be as high as the ones out West, but they are rugged and will wear your *** out when hiking.
I assume its Appalachains that far south? Didn't know they were over 5k. Treeline out here is about 8k.
What is Washington in NH? It seems to have the most severe weather recorded IIRC.
I think the thing about midwest to eastern mountains is those valleys, hollows and draws drop so deep from the peaks of the hilltops. Whereas the mountains out west typically build on top of a fairly high base.
Old 12/2/12, 03:05 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I assume its Appalachains that far south? Didn't know they were over 5k. Treeline out here is about 8k.
What is Washington in NH? It seems to have the most severe weather recorded IIRC.
I think the thing about midwest to eastern mountains is those valleys, hollows and draws drop so deep from the peaks of the hilltops. Whereas the mountains out west typically build on top of a fairly high base.
Yes, Appalachians. I'm in the north part of Ga where NC and Tn meet, the Appalachian trail comes through here. We have beautiful mountains. Like I said, even in this overlooked part of America as far as mountains go, I can be at 5K feet in a short drive, and that is high in this part of the country.

Funny you mention Mt.Washington in New Hampshire, don't know if you've ever been there. I've been all over the US and that is the craziest weather I've ever seen. Left the bottom in pants and short sleeves, had plenty of gear packed with us in day packs but not expecting what was up there. Holy **** it was crazy. Calm weather at the bottom, but by the time we got to the top the temp dropped 40 degrees and the wind was 60-70 mph. I don't know if it still holds true, but at the time the highest straight line wind speeds (non tornado) ever recorded were up there at the top of Mt. Washington at over 200 mph, . That is some crazy weather up there. I've seen it, and it is amazing how it changes in such a short hike. Better have your **** together and be prepared if you're going to hike up there.
Old 12/2/12, 04:24 AM
Post *****

Yes, Appalachians. I'm in the north part of Ga where NC and Tn meet, the Appalachian trail comes through here. We have beautiful mountains. Like I said, even in this overlooked part of America as far as mountains go, I can be at 5K feet in a short drive, and that is high in this part of the country.

Funny you mention Mt.Washington in New Hampshire, don't know if you've ever been there. I've been all over the US and that is the craziest weather I've ever seen. Left the bottom in pants and short sleeves, had plenty of gear packed with us in day packs but not expecting what was up there. Holy **** it was crazy. Calm weather at the bottom, but by the time we got to the top the temp dropped 40 degrees and the wind was 60-70 mph. I don't know if it still holds true, but at the time the highest straight line wind speeds (non tornado) ever recorded were up there at the top of Mt. Washington at over 200 mph, . That is some crazy weather up there. I've seen it, and it is amazing how it changes in such a short hike. Better have your **** together and be prepared if you're going to hike up there.
I never knew they were nearing (or over) a mile high.

And I remember reading about Washington and its wind record. But I haven't been there. I avoid the east.
Old 12/2/12, 05:44 AM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First snow of the year, nothing special.

Members Random Picture Gallery Non Mustang Shots of Interest!-image-172576528.jpg

Members Random Picture Gallery Non Mustang Shots of Interest!-image-2884236246.jpg

Members Random Picture Gallery Non Mustang Shots of Interest!-image-2913313729.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Members Random Picture Gallery Non Mustang Shots of Interest!-image-1058423849.jpg  
Old 12/2/12, 06:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics of the thick fog this morning ( they just don't show how bad it really is.
Attached Thumbnails Members Random Picture Gallery Non Mustang Shots of Interest!-image-1616820298.jpg   Members Random Picture Gallery Non Mustang Shots of Interest!-image-883106378.jpg  
Old 12/2/12, 08:27 AM
BB3
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by shurtual86
Pics of the thick fog this morning ( they just don't show how bad it really is.
James, that's a really cool pic of your projector beam lights burning through the fog. Thanks for posting.

By the way.......I am so jealous that you guys have those kind of roads to drive on.
I can only dream.........Bill
Old 12/2/12, 08:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by BB3
James, that's a really cool pic of your projector beam lights burning through the fog. Thanks for posting.

By the way.......I am so jealous that you guys have those kind of roads to drive on.
I can only dream.........Bill
Thanks, and I doubt you'd like our roads, too many **** potholes
Old 12/2/12, 10:38 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I drove up Mt Washington back about 1981. It's only about a 3.5 hour ride from home. The road back then was loaded with potholes and was barely wide enuff for 2 cars to pass, and cars up and down used the same road. No guard rails or anything like that. It was a cloudy day when we went up, but about half way up and could see NOTHING! Flashers were required for visibility and you could barely even see the flashers on the car in front of you. When we finally got to the top, visibility was almost non-existent. We knew there was a building there but you couldn't see it. WE just had to follow the voices and found some stairs and carefully made our way through the fog.

I think the wind is still a record. You can check out their website. The have webcams too.

http://www.mountwashington.org/

They have a cog railway too which you can ride up. It looks like a scary ride, but very scenic on a nice day!

http://www.thecog.com/
Old 12/2/12, 10:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The first snow is always very nice... That fog looks very cool but NO FUN to drive in.. One thing I dont miss about Pennsylvania is the fog...
Old 12/2/12, 10:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This drove into our Toys For Tots Show! Its not every day we get to see this car....
Attached Thumbnails Members Random Picture Gallery Non Mustang Shots of Interest!-gurney.jpg   Members Random Picture Gallery Non Mustang Shots of Interest!-gurney2.jpg   Members Random Picture Gallery Non Mustang Shots of Interest!-gurney3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Members Random Picture Gallery Non Mustang Shots of Interest!