Notices
Curated Content Articles 2010-2014 Youtube & Photo Gallery Magazine Type Articles With Pictures By IB / Youtube & Photo Gallery

This Cop Drives an Unmarked Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/13, 10:58 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David Young, I also heard those kind of stories. One guy told me about his creepy brother who got a blue light and would cruise the lover's lanes and try to catch couples for his own thrills. Talk about a sick ****.
As for mc07gts, "wrong on so many levels"?? I notice you don't mention any of those "many levels".
Old 11/27/13, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is cool. The first ticket I ever got was in Bedford County, VA by a Va State trooper in an 84 GT 5.0. Later, when I was working in Bedford, I met a number of Deputies from Wythe County VA. The Sheriff of Wythe Co was the father of a popular Game Commission Warden in Bedford County so they did a little cross training. At the time, the Wythe deputies were using fully marked up Fox bodies, light bars, big gold stars on the door and all. Sadly, Bedford County did not follow suit, they went the catfish route

Still, I have no problem with law enforcement using "ghost" cars. Comes down to a line from the theme to the old TV show Baretta: "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.."
Old 11/29/13, 08:56 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts
Originally Posted by exchallenger
David Young, I also heard those kind of stories. One guy told me about his creepy brother who got a blue light and would cruise the lover's lanes and try to catch couples for his own thrills. Talk about a sick ****.
As for mc07gts, "wrong on so many levels"?? I notice you don't mention any of those "many levels".
Ahh, the job of educating the citizenry. It never is easy.
First off, to say the cops don't care is a terrible statement to make. If you can't see this, there really is little point in wasting time here, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you are a fellow Mustang member here on this site. I'll try to make this brief or otherwise I could write pages here. This will probably be too long anyway.
Unmarked cars are NOT for just generating revenue. Remember that unmarked cars are used by narcotics officers and detectives. Tactical units (burglary stake-outs, vice) also use unmarked cars. Even warrants officers and civil process servers at the many Sheriff's offices across the USA. All these law enforcement employees in unmarked cars can be impersonated by criminals. Unmarked cars are extremely useful tools in fighting crime. You just can't be in a marked unit all the time and do your job properly. Can you imagine being a narcotics officer in a marked unit?? Unmarked units isn't just about traffic. I'm sure you can understand this. Maybe you just forgot. Criminals abuse every situation you can come up with. They will impersonate anyone! Impersonating a detective is even an easier way to get into someone's home. It happens. Even fake narcotics officers are common, to rip off drugs in many instances. Criminals don't care. As I said before, they are dealt with severely when caught.
I am also going to explain about the useful tools unmarked cars serve in the traffic divisions across the country. Yes, they are used for speeding citations but this is only part of the function of these cars. On night shifts these unmarked cars are used for detecting drunk drivers. Even impaired drivers can see a well marked patrol car and will turn off as soon as possible. Unmarked cars can follow and observe and make solid DUI cases. These unmarked cars can also run license checks looking for suspended licenses and improperly registered cars. Again, unlicensed and illegal drivers avoid marked units like the plague. They rarely see the unmarked car. All these 'bad' people are ticketed and jailed across the US every day of the week, thanks to unmarked cars.
Just in my own career, where I spent 2 full years in a federally sponsored program called STEP (Select Traffic Enforcement Program) I could give you countless examples of the effectiveness of both unmarked and marked cars. The successful uses of unmarked cars was very apparent during my career.
I would totally understand your negativity if you or a family member were a victim of one of the criminals that impersonates officers, but if you are trash talking cops in general, I am done responding here. I hope I have enlightened you (or anyone else that reads this) a little bit. Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday. Be careful out there!

Last edited by NC14GT; 11/29/13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11/29/13, 09:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Here it is two days later and I'm reading about a woman in Carrollton (State?) being pulled over by an impersonator in crown vic, handcuffing her, and sexually assaulting her in the back of his "cop car". Cops playing undercover hero make it possible for criminals to impersonate them. Simple as that. When the public can't tell the good guys from the bad guys you got trouble. And don't think YOUR wife/girlfriend/sister wouldn't pull over just as fast as all the other victims.
It's Carrollton, Tx. I live there, and that's exactly why I won't pull over for anything other than a marked police car. It occurred right on a busy highway.
Old 11/29/13, 10:13 AM
GT Member

Nco7gtcs, I am aware that criminals impersonate drug cops to rip off dealers, and further, that criminals will impersonate anybody (i.e.. meter reader) to commit a crime. What we're talking about here is unmarked cars for traffic enforcement for everyday, run-of-the-mill, non-criminal public. The ONLY contact most people have with police, in my family, is when they stopped for a traffic infraction like speeding. They are not police themselves and can not distinguish between real police and impersonators unless they are in a marked car. This inability to tell the difference can mean the difference between being raped or simply getting a ticket, or even life and death. If police officers were suddenly unable to stop speeders in plainly marked vehicles that would be one thing but marked vehicles are able to perform the same job no problem.
I'm not an ACLU, anti-cop type who lives to bash police but I don't think police in general understand the dimensions of this problem as they don't think like criminals do. It's a balance between performing a job and protecting the public. If doing the job in a certain way makes it much easier for predators to victimize the public, as this practice does, then they shouldn't do it. That's what I'm saying.
Old 11/30/13, 08:05 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts
I certainly respect your opinion, although I disagree, as do the thousands of law enforcement agencies throughout the country. I explained the 'why' it is done previously. It's fine if you don't accept that. No problem.
Have a great weekend and holiday season.
Old 11/30/13, 12:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Unmarked cop cars aren't the problem, per se. The problem is police impersonators. I don't ever recall hearing of a cop in an unmarked car ever raping a female motorist. Again, any predator with a blue light can pull over unsuspecting women because they don't know it's not a cop and can't take the chance that it is. Ever see how cops react when a motorist DOESN'T obey their order to get out of the car? They will break the window and pull you out by your bleeping head, male or female, so not complying is not an option. This is a huge unreported problem all across the country.
...I think your tinfoil hat is having a little too much of an effect...
Old 11/30/13, 12:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Wow!! You lost a lot of credibility with this statement. So wrong on so many levels.
I think he got caught more than a few times by unmarked traffic cops and is taking out his frustration on message boards.
Old 11/30/13, 02:58 PM
GT Member

Just as a point of information, I have never been stopped by an unmarked police car. It really isn't much of a problem for me. I am not a female.
Old 11/30/13, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Florence. Hopefully soon moving to Hilton Head. You?
right down the road in the hartsville area. i go to florence darlington tech and im dating a girl from darlington so im in florence about everyday.
Old 12/2/13, 10:35 AM
V6 Member

I've seen a cop in rural OK, in a Marked car, but when they stepped out they had on jeans, a dirty wife-beeter tank top and a gunbelt. If I saw that walking up to my car I think I'd pull back onto the highway.

As for unmarked cars, best thing to do is pull into a well lit, public place that has people in it. If in a rural area, keep going at the legal speed so they know your are not running and call 911 and ask them to verify the cop behind you. If they cannot verify him, ask them to send another officer to your location and keep driving. No official officer will PIT you or anything else crazy if you are not a danger to the public, and you will have your attempt to confirm his identity on a recorded 911 line.

Most of us are smart enough to spot a fake cop, but some of our loved ones are not. This is the brief I give my wife, although she has never had to use it.
Old 12/2/13, 10:58 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by randyre
I've seen a cop in rural OK, in a Marked car, but when they stepped out they had on jeans, a dirty wife-beeter tank top and a gunbelt. If I saw that walking up to my car I think I'd pull back onto the highway.

As for unmarked cars, best thing to do is pull into a well lit, public place that has people in it. If in a rural area, keep going at the legal speed so they know your are not running and call 911 and ask them to verify the cop behind you. If they cannot verify him, ask them to send another officer to your location and keep driving. No official officer will PIT you or anything else crazy if you are not a danger to the public, and you will have your attempt to confirm his identity on a recorded 911 line.

Most of us are smart enough to spot a fake cop, but some of our loved ones are not. This is the brief I give my wife, although she has never had to use it.
Great advice
Old 12/2/13, 02:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

If your breaking the law what difference does it make what the police pull you over in? Just becuse you don't see a marked cruiser around does not mean they could be hidding around the next corner. If your going to risk getting a ticket by excessive speed that is your right. Just remember that most cops use their own vehicles when they are not on the clock, and if you go blowwing by one they will just call in your plate number and you just might get pulled over down the line.

Last edited by icemant180; 12/2/13 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12/2/13, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

The people who pretend to be cops and pull people over don't just pull people over who have broken the law. I've only been pulled over twice, and both times the cops told straight-faced lies as the reason they pulled me over. Neither time was I breaking the law.
Old 12/2/13, 04:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Skylar
The people who pretend to be cops and pull people over don't just pull people over who have broken the law. I've only been pulled over twice, and both times the cops told straight-faced lies as the reason they pulled me over. Neither time was I breaking the law.
Did you take them to court? Did you win?

Sorry, I'm having a hard time believing you. I've been pulled over and have spoken to officers a number of times and have yet to be lied to. Maybe you need to move.
Old 12/2/13, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Did you take them to court? Did you win? Sorry, I'm having a hard time believing you. I've been pulled over and have spoken to officers a number of times and have yet to be lied to. Maybe you need to move.
The first time, I was with my dad driving home at around 2am and got pulled over and was told that I was swerving all over the road. My dad was with me and we both knew I wasn't swerving at all (especially with a cop behind me). I know the real reason he pulled me over was because it was late at night and we were the only car on the road, but he had to make up a lie for some reason.
The second time, I was driving on the highway and saw two cops sitting in the median chit-chatting it up. I made sure to check my speed before I went past them. I passed them going 65 (the speed limit). I get down the road and one of them is right on my a**, so I pulled over. He told me that I was going 76 mph. Since then, I've driven with two other cars to check to see if my speedo is correct and it appears that my speedo is actually almost 5mph LOWER than what I'm really going. So that shows that the cop was lying about my speed by 15 mph.
Most pigs, er, police officers aren't the great men and women everyone makes them out to be. Most of them are guys on a power-trip that use their badge to get away with anything. They don't play cops for fun, they play cops for pay. I know there are some great officers that take their job seriously, and I respect them for it. I guess I just have a grudge against them because I don't think I've ever met a cop I liked.
Old 12/2/13, 04:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger

Did you take them to court? Did you win?

Sorry, I'm having a hard time believing you. I've been pulled over and have spoken to officers a number of times and have yet to be lied to. Maybe you need to move.
This. I get pulled over at least once a year on average, and only for a BS reason one time ever.
Old 12/2/13, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jdub2k5
Indiana has multiple shelby and 5.0 mustang cop cars
And in some areas they have these plain jane SUV's that look like your basic soccer mom ride. They use these to spy for peeps texting.
Old 12/3/13, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Skylar
Most pigs, er, police officers aren't the great men and women everyone makes them out to be. Most of them are guys on a power-trip that use their badge to get away with anything. They don't play cops for fun, they play cops for pay. I know there are some great officers that take their job seriously, and I respect them for it. I guess I just have a grudge against them because I don't think I've ever met a cop I liked.
Well gee, I guess that says a lot there. You must not know any cops.
Old 12/3/13, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by The Arbiter
Well gee, I guess that says a lot there. You must not know any cops.
I don't doubt there are some bad ones out there, but I agree. I know a lot of good ones too. Great guys of duty as well.

Quick Reply: This Cop Drives an Unmarked Mustang