Curated Content Articles 64-70 Youtube & Photo Gallery Magazine Type Articles With Pictures By IB / Photo Gallery & Youtube

67' Shelby Project

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/08, 08:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Guys, We are tring to get the car finished by 45th Aniversary MCA .(only 4 months left) Fitting the engine,tranny,front, and rearend in the car ,,(although not permenant) has helpped me fill a little better about project. For some time i have felt like this is nothing but a MONEY PIT and will never be finished, but

Look , Loook, i can see the
Old 12/6/08, 12:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
YES!....can we say magazine car?
Old 12/6/08, 12:10 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i can definitely see that happenening
Old 12/6/08, 12:25 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
absolutely.
Old 12/6/08, 09:57 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
YES!....can we say magazine car?
One of the goals.

John, I cant wait for this to be finished. You're truely going to have an amazing one-off that would be hard if not impossible to duplicate. and with that, I really want to be around when you first drive it, just to see the look on your face the first time you lay into that termie motor.
Old 12/6/08, 10:24 PM
NTTAWWT

someone record that please! lol
Old 12/16/08, 08:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Worked on headers yesterday,,,sorry no pics
Old 12/30/08, 09:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
390 or Paul,
What are those boards the car is sitting on? How are they fastened together? Without a rotisserire, I need something inexpensive to raise my cars up on. Btw, the car is looking great!!! And, I love the GT/CS, too!! John
Old 12/31/08, 06:21 AM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by hiznherponies
390 or Paul,
What are those boards the car is sitting on? How are they fastened together? Without a rotisserire, I need something inexpensive to raise my cars up on. Btw, the car is looking great!!! And, I love the GT/CS, too!! John
Those are stands we made with 2X4's, a nail gun and a LOT of nails! It is designed to cradle the tires and set the car high enough to work on and set the ride height of the car while we set up the suspension and weld things into place for the suspension setup. They hold the car securely and work great.
Old 1/5/09, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

This is looking wonderful. Keep up the posts. Can you share any budget information -- you're seeing what is every purchaser's fear -- and since I'm looking at some 67-68's to keep my CS Company, this is particularly interesting. I know how these things can rust -- I had a 69 Vert from 69-82 (although it was a Firebird 400) and it got floor pan and quarter panel sickness while I had it -- amazing what a fresh coat of paint hides -- although even the paint on this one wasn't fresh!!

I do hope that SVO Paul and John will keep updating us all on this project.
Old 1/5/09, 03:21 PM
Service Manager

We will keep you updated....no worries

Yes, this is unfortunately every purchasers fear and the paint on this car was not fresh either but the hidden damage was as you can see...significant.

There are good and bad points about going this far...the downside obviously being the increase in expense but the upside is that you know EXACTLY what you have from every possible perspective....there is no hidden cover up and we can take extra steps in both the strength of the car and preventative measures for those usually impossible to get to places.

Being a convertible and the lack of some parts availability this is probably the hardest build on a Vintage Mustang.....we spent a lot of time to source some donor parts that simply where not available anywhere and with no plans to make them available.
Old 1/5/09, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Paul:

As to the expense, do you have any kind of project budget that you'd care to share? Seems to me, as a fellow OCD kind of guy about my cars, 1 year old, one slight rainstorm, 3 bottles of Zaino on the baby -- It is a worst case kind of look at a body restoration. You're obviously doing some other extras -- probably could have rebuilt the 289 for a lot less than the Terminator, etc. -- but as I evaluate cars, and see what can be, I'm interested in some expense figures -- as I'm sure are others on the forum.

I have to keep reminding myself that I bought the 08 because I didn't want to take this kind of risk -- and figured that by the time I was done-- I would have about as much money in an old one that I wanted as I'd have in the new vert. Now I'm looking Hardtop or Fastback for the old one -- but don't want a box of parts in the garage when I'm done; so I'm looking for the worst case kind of scenario -- which seems to be what John got. If he'd share the purchase price on this one -- that would be of interest as well. Also the seller's name so that the rest of us can AVOID -- if it was a dealer or "Mustang" person.

Thanks for all the information you share on this forum.
Old 1/5/09, 03:49 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by c25sailor
Paul:

As to the expense, do you have any kind of project budget that you'd care to share? Seems to me, as a fellow OCD kind of guy about my cars, 1 year old, one slight rainstorm, 3 bottles of Zaino on the baby -- It is a worst case kind of look at a body restoration. You're obviously doing some other extras -- probably could have rebuilt the 289 for a lot less than the Terminator, etc. -- but as I evaluate cars, and see what can be, I'm interested in some expense figures -- as I'm sure are others on the forum.

I have to keep reminding myself that I bought the 08 because I didn't want to take this kind of risk -- and figured that by the time I was done-- I would have about as much money in an old one that I wanted as I'd have in the new vert. Now I'm looking Hardtop or Fastback for the old one -- but don't want a box of parts in the garage when I'm done; so I'm looking for the worst case kind of scenario -- which seems to be what John got. If he'd share the purchase price on this one -- that would be of interest as well. Also the seller's name so that the rest of us can AVOID -- if it was a dealer or "Mustang" person.

Thanks for all the information you share on this forum.

It's not my place to share any of that information....if John wishes to that's up to him but this car currently isn't a fair representation for any kind of build since there is so much custom work and fabrication.

This car was never going to be a stock restoration from the beginning....it had a non original 302 in it and John bought it specifically to build the Shelby replica that he wanted.

A standard stock restoration would be obviously be far less expensive than this route....building a car like this involves a lot of time and a lot of fabrication. I think had John gotten the car he was lead to believe he was buying and the deal on the Terminator motor had not come along then this car would likely be far different than it is. However in the end John is going to have a one of a kind world class vintage Mustang.....

A worst case scenario convertible restoration would likely equal or exceed the cost of a new one if you could not do any of the work yourself.....Keep in mind with a Fastback that they are VERY popular and priced accordingly so you could purchase a car for $25K and still have to invest another $10K to make it nice and more to make it perfect....I've seen that happen as well....and if the car has hidden problems you could end up in much worse shape on it.

The guy John bought this car from was not a Mustang dealer....he dealt in old Mopars and took this car in on trade so he was not aware of the hidden issues.....
Old 9/8/09, 04:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

WOW ,,, Lost 11 pages of thread ,,, I'll get to work on updating tread...it may take a while!
Old 9/10/09, 08:31 AM

Paul and Jason...as always exceptional work...But I expect no less from you two perfectionists!
Dave
Old 9/10/09, 12:48 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Rumor mill: I heard T67 fired up today.
Old 9/10/09, 01:21 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Scothew
Rumor mill: I heard T67 fired up today.
Rumor confirmed....T-67 fired and idles nicely.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c
Old 9/10/09, 01:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
awesomE!
Old 9/10/09, 04:16 PM
NTTAWWT

Originally Posted by svopaul
Rumor confirmed....T-67 fired and idles nicely.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c
you temptress!

I bet that baby sounds awesome!
Old 9/10/09, 07:47 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was hoping that youtube vid was proof can't wait to see/hear it

Quick Reply: 67' Shelby Project