Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/12, 08:21 AM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
the LS bosses have cut outs right? do the non LS as well or is it just rear exit?
Quad exhaust on all of the Bosses!
Old 9/25/12, 08:39 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
werd. Just been curious lately.
Old 9/25/12, 09:47 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple

Mornin' guys

Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple

Where in CA you going? I've been wondering, you put that ring on the gf's finger yet?
All over, fly into LA. Then we drive to Bakersfield to go to Famoso Raceway to see the CA Hot Rod Reunion. I'm stoked about that, nothing better than vintage drag cars. Then we go back down to LA for a tour of the area. Then down to Anaheim for two days at Disney. That is where the you know what comes in. Then down to Vista/San Diego for the end of the week to spend time with friends and family.
Old 9/25/12, 09:59 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
werd. Just been curious lately.
Maybe you should take Paul's advice to Nathan.......

Originally Posted by svopaul

You REALLY need a life outlook changing experience.....we need to send you to Bangkok

Old 9/25/12, 10:01 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

I'm not curious about that dingle berry
Old 9/25/12, 11:46 AM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hope all is good in the hood
Old 9/25/12, 11:53 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by lalayla
Shady character out there.
Old 9/25/12, 11:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss 1409

Can't get it over here, it's only available to dealerships in the US and Canada. Patrick could tell you first hand about the changes, but it does change a lot of engine parameters. More agressive engine braking, better throttle response, and the cool idle are the main things folks talk about. Also changes the rev limiter and does away with the speed limiter.
Eric covered it well, but dont think it changes the rev limit. Throttle response and engine braking are the most noticeable features. You also get launch control and pit lane speed limiter. I have not tried the former. Lowest speed on the limiter is 40mph, the track I frequent has a pit lane limit of 5mph so thats not much use. My favorite part is the popping from the exhaust on downshift due to the engine braking and I think richer fuel mixture (?). Is that due to unburnt fuel being dumped in the exhaust? (clue me in shop boys)
The ghost cam idle is pretty cool. I was driving with Trackey last night and didnt want to leave the stop lights as I was enjoying the shake and bump of the idle.
Old 9/25/12, 11:57 AM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra

Shady character out there.
there's always someone shady out there.
Old 9/25/12, 12:01 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 07S197

All over, fly into LA. Then we drive to Bakersfield to go to Famoso Raceway to see the CA Hot Rod Reunion. I'm stoked about that, nothing better than vintage drag cars. Then we go back down to LA for a tour of the area. Then down to Anaheim for two days at Disney. That is where the you know what comes in. Then down to Vista/San Diego for the end of the week to spend time with friends and family.
Well, I'm gonna want details of how it went. I really want to go to San Diego sometime. Everyone tells me how pretty it is.

Originally Posted by lalayla
Old 9/25/12, 12:15 PM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

I'm not curious about that dingle berry
Scott is BOSS-Curious....Not BI-Curious
Old 9/25/12, 12:16 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Thank you sir.
Old 9/25/12, 12:19 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

"No Leroy! I'm bilingual, there's a difference"
Old 9/25/12, 12:43 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54
Eric covered it well, but dont think it changes the rev limit. Throttle response and engine braking are the most noticeable features. You also get launch control and pit lane speed limiter. I have not tried the former. Lowest speed on the limiter is 40mph, the track I frequent has a pit lane limit of 5mph so thats not much use. My favorite part is the popping from the exhaust on downshift due to the engine braking and I think richer fuel mixture (?). Is that due to unburnt fuel being dumped in the exhaust? (clue me in shop boys)
The ghost cam idle is pretty cool. I was driving with Trackey last night and didnt want to leave the stop lights as I was enjoying the shake and bump of the idle.
I think the popping is a lean condition actually. The computer injects less fuel on decel to slow the engine faster, so I would think that's the cause. I know I can run my bike pig rich and it'll just smoke, but get just a little lean and it'll pop on decel all the time :/

Sorry I dissappeared for a while yet again haha I can't seem to sit on a computer anymore. I've been workin' on the truck lately.. Full front end makeover. Smoked corners, blacked out ford emblem, blacked out bumpers, and then what I'm really proud of, is my custom, clear lens headlights!
Attached Thumbnails Mustangs Coast to Coast-0924121934.jpg  
Old 9/25/12, 12:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangGT90210

I think the popping is a lean condition actually. The computer injects less fuel on decel to slow the engine faster, so I would think that's the cause. I know I can run my bike pig rich and it'll just smoke, but get just a little lean and it'll pop on decel all the time :/

Sorry I dissappeared for a while yet again haha I can't seem to sit on a computer anymore. I've been workin' on the truck lately.. Full front end makeover. Smoked corners, blacked out ford emblem, blacked out bumpers, and then what I'm really proud of, is my custom, clear lens headlights!
Thanks Sean. It makes sense that I would have it backwards

Edit: you are correct. It is a lean condition on decel that causes it. Unburnt fuel is pulled into the exhaust system and because of the lean condition the exhaust is still hot and the fuel ignites. If it was running rich the exhaust would be too cool to ignite the fuel. (I read this on a dirt bike site, so your mortorcycle example was good)

Last edited by phiggs54; 9/25/12 at 12:58 PM.
Old 9/25/12, 02:32 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
I saved this to file awhile back... thought it was interesting.

H-PIPE/POPPING EXHAUST NOISE
The following article was written with motorcycles in mind, but the explanation seems logical...

Popping on Decel Explained

Burn Baby Burn

The last thing I want to address today is the subject of deceleration backfire, or “popping”. This topic generates a lot of concern from inexperienced riders, or even from experienced guys who just hate the noise, so lets take a look at what causes it. But first things first, lets define the issue:

Deceleration Backfire is caused by fuel burning in the exhaust manifold or header.

No ifs ands or buts, that’s what causes it. But the bigger question is how does gas get there in the first place, and that’s a bit more complicated. Generally, there are a variety of ways it gets there, and a variety of things that can make the backfiring worse. But there’s a kicker, and something you should understand before we go any farther:

A motor in perfect tune will exhibit deceleration backfiring.

Therefore, just because your motor is banging it up, doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong. And consequently:

Getting rid of the noise means de-tuning your motor.

Yup. If you’ve jut got to eliminate that popping, you’ll have to accept the fact that your motor is going to be forced to run rich to do it, and that isn’t necessarily a good thing. So lets talk about what causes the problem.

Ok, so you’re riding along at some given rpm, and suddenly you decide to decelerate, and you reduce the amount of throttle. This causes an “overrun” – that is, the motors rpm is turning faster than the fuel provided can support, so the motor begins to spool down. This causes a couple of things to happen.

First, when you close the throttle, you are also closing the throttle plates. This reduces the air and fuel flowing into the motor, and increases the vacuum (lowers the pressure). This results in less air and fuel in the cylinder during the power stroke, which in turn results in a lower pressure in the combustion chamber. Remember I said earlier, that the A/F mix burns faster in proportion to the pressure applied? Well, when we reduce pressure this way, the mix burns slower. This results in two things happening.

1. The lower burning fuel generates less heat, and the cooling effect of the non-burning fuel tends to “quench” the flame front, or slow it down even further. Because the mix is burning much slower, the exhaust valve can open before all the fuel is consumed, and the unburnt fuel is ejected into the exhaust.
2. The engine designers, in order to promote smoother idling and better combustion, retard the spark when the throttle is shut, and this results in the mix being lit later.

So, now we end up with unburnt fuel in the exhaust, and burning fuel being ejected into the exhaust, and bang! Backfire. In addition, Honda has added a device called a “programmed air injection valve” (Pair Valve) that actually injects some fresh air into the exhaust to help this process along – since fully burning the fuel results in cleaner exhaust. So the backfiring is not only a normal part of the engines operation, it’s also intentionally amplified by Honda! Of course, normally, that massive bazooka pipe Honda hangs on your bike hides most of the noise, but it’s there, even when you can’t hear it.

So the bottom line, is: That backfiring is perfectly normal and expected. If you’ve just got get rid of it, that’s up to you. You’re entitled to set your motor up the way you want, and your goals are your goals. But don’t refer to it as “fixing” the popping. Rather, the correct way to think of it is “de-tuning a bit to get rid of the popping”.
Old 9/25/12, 02:49 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Hey Charlie. What happened to all the political threads? Seems they have died off a bit. Hmmmm
Prob because everyone is sick to their stomachs of the blatant lies that keep spewing out of the US government media complex about their saint ho.

Old 9/25/12, 03:01 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

I saved this to file awhile back... thought it was interesting.
My question for Sean is that bike a 2 stroke or 4.

Seven runs rich and gurgles on decel. Even the R with the stock tune gurgled on decel.

I like it. Sounds like a motor to me and not a Honda.
Old 9/25/12, 03:16 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
My question for Sean is that bike a 2 stroke or 4.

Seven runs rich and gurgles on decel. Even the R with the stock tune gurgled on decel.

I like it. Sounds like a motor to me and not a Honda.
The popping is different from the burble.
Old 9/25/12, 04:15 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast