Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/11, 08:17 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 07S197
Unfortunately I have to agree with him, having worked at a dealer in parts I know where he is coming from and honestly don't understand why a dealer should provide a 3rd key to a customer.
Well now that you asked - that is the difference between a customer oriented sales professional - that wants repeat business and referrals... vs the typical car hack. That guy is a first class jerk. I could smell he was a used car salesman when he defended the Dealer for setting up their customers.

If you guys in the biz know this, why not inform your customer - that's your job - rather than screwing them for a couple hundred bucks after the fact - because the stealer knows he's "got ya"?? (I mis-typed my earlier statement as I didn't mean 'give', but a good salesman should teach the customer that you better buy a 3rd set up front - and make it reasonable. I have talked to many people that are unaware that you need 2 good keys to program another.)

Like I posted, now that I know (and my wallet was emptied by a Jeep dealer), I immediately go on ebay and buy a blank and go to my locksmith. Even the locksmith can't believe how bad the Dealers screw you for "programming".

Its just a damm key - you know??

Hence, this is why I took salesman of the year 3 times on my rural coffee route vs city routes. And I have thrown away more awards from my fin svcs career than I kept. Watching out for the customer's money - as if its your own - alerting them of any pitfalls in advance - is how your customers learn they can trust their 'silent partner' and give you boat loads of repeat business and referral$.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/15/11 at 08:21 PM.
Old 4/15/11, 08:22 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
But tornadoes are exciting.

(aside from the mass death and destruction part )
Man did you see those??
Old 4/15/11, 08:28 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Goodnight ladies. I've stirred up enough **** here for one day. Time to go relieve some stress.
Old 4/15/11, 08:33 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Well now that you asked - that is the difference between a customer oriented sales professional - that wants repeat business and referrals... vs the typical car hack. That guy is a first class jerk. I could smell he was a used car salesman when he defended the Dealer for setting up their customers.

If you guys in the biz know this, why not inform your customer - that's your job - rather than screwing them for a couple hundred bucks after the fact - because the stealer knows he's "got ya"?? (I mis-typed my earlier statement as I didn't mean 'give', but a good salesman should teach the customer that you better buy a 3rd set up front - and make it reasonable. I have talked to many people that are unaware that you need 2 good keys to program another.)

Like I posted, now that I know (and my wallet was emptied by a Jeep dealer), I immediately go on ebay and buy a blank and go to my locksmith. Even the locksmith can't believe how bad the Dealers screw you for "programming".

Its just a damm key - you know??

Hence, this is why I took salesman of the year 3 times on my rural coffee route vs city routes. And I have thrown away more awards from my fin svcs career than I kept. Watching out for the customer's money - as if its your own - alerting them of any pitfalls in advance - is how your customers learn they can trust their 'silent partner' and give you boat loads of repeat business and referral$.
I agree, that it would be good customer relations to inform your customer of the cost if a key were lost. I don't think anyone does it with the intent of screwing the customer in the end, I just think it is not something that comes up. However it would prolly be something I would add to my personal list of letting the customer know that their new car has a chipped key, and it can cost up to $200 to replace if lost.

Funny thing we are talking about this, while I was in Florida I had a Volvo as a rental with one of the fancy custom plastic keys

On the back of the tag that had the car info in huge letters it said Average $200 for replacement. I guess they have lost a few in the past.

The programing fee is crazy and it is an easy $100 for the dealer to make. That is why I would did it for free if the customer came to the parts dept. I think any sales person or parts person could and should do it for free if they already have two keys.

If one is lost then it does require the tech to hook up the computer and erase the lost key and then start from scratch adding two keys to the car. They can't just add a 3rd key with one being missing, the car won't allow it. I think it's more for customer security so that the only person who can make a copy is someone that has both keys who would usually only be the owner. In this case I do see the need in a programing fee as it is not a simple thing to do. Sometimes we would even have bad keys from the manufacturer and would have to cut two just to get one to work, that was a cost we had to eat as we couldn't return it under warranty because it was cut.

Last edited by 07S197; 4/15/11 at 08:45 PM.
Old 4/15/11, 08:41 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Goodnight ladies. I've stirred up enough **** here for one day. Time to go relieve some stress.
Funny, I've been working up taxes all day and came here for some stress relief. Didn't know I was still getting slimed by used car hacks.

(No offense Chris - do a great job and it doesn't apply to you. But it sure applies to that other turd.)

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/15/11 at 08:42 PM.
Old 4/15/11, 08:43 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
But tornadoes are exciting.

(aside from the mass death and destruction part )
Old 4/15/11, 08:44 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Enjoy!!!!!
Old 4/15/11, 08:46 PM
Post *****

However it would prolly be something I would add to my personal list of letting the customer know that their new car has a chipped key, and it can cost up to $200 to replace if lost.
Exactly. That was my point. The Dealer & sales staff know this - the typical customer doesn't.

Who'd of thought this guy would come out of the blue and defend a Dealer's rip off scheme?? Says all I need to know about his character and his Stealership.

Old 4/15/11, 08:55 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Exactly. That was my point. The Dealer & sales staff know this - the typical customer doesn't.

Who'd of thought this guy would come out of the blue and defend a Dealer's rip off scheme?? Says all I need to know about his character and his Stealership.

I think he is taking it personal and it's not, he has obviously never seen the look on a customers face when they have lost all their keys and have the car towed to the dealer at a cost of $200 then have to pay for 2 keys and the programming fee. In the end costing close to $500. That is just crazy, but i saw it happen multiple times. They lost the first and then didn't want to spend $200 to replace it so then when they lost the second it cost them more than twice as much.

I always have 3 keys for every car I own I learned this when I bought my 96 SHO and the dealer agreed to get me a second key on the deal, then he found out the hard way it was about $150. He let me know when I picked up the car what it cost him and that he would not have agreed to do it if he had known before.
Old 4/15/11, 08:57 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I learned something new. Though I've never lost any key I've ever owned.
Old 4/15/11, 08:59 PM
Post *****

he has obviously never seen the look on a customers face
I know I crapped my pants at $180! Left the keys on the wood stove and girl friend wanted a 'romantic fire'.

Ooh ooh that smell!! Cain't you smell that smell!! (It's benjamins burning!)
Old 4/15/11, 09:11 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Man did you see those??
See what??
I agree, that it would be good customer relations to inform your customer of the cost if a key were lost. I don't think anyone does it with the intent of screwing the customer in the end, I just think it is not something that comes up. However it would prolly be something I would add to my personal list of letting the customer know that their new car has a chipped key, and it can cost up to $200 to replace if lost.

Funny thing we are talking about this, while I was in Florida I had a Volvo as a rental with one of the fancy custom plastic keys

On the back of the tag that had the car info in huge letters it said Average $200 for replacement. I guess they have lost a few in the past.

The programing fee is crazy and it is an easy $100 for the dealer to make. That is why I would did it for free if the customer came to the parts dept. I think any sales person or parts person could and should do it for free if they already have two keys.

If one is lost then it does require the tech to hook up the computer and erase the lost key and then start from scratch adding two keys to the car. They can't just add a 3rd key with one being missing, the car won't allow it. I think it's more for customer security so that the only person who can make a copy is someone that has both keys who would usually only be the owner. In this case I do see the need in a programing fee as it is not a simple thing to do. Sometimes we would even have bad keys from the manufacturer and would have to cut two just to get one to work, that was a cost we had to eat as we couldn't return it under warranty because it was cut.
What happens if the battery is dead? How do those things work exactly?
Old 4/15/11, 09:20 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I only got one key for the stang, and held off on getting a second one cuz of it's expense. Once you get two, you may as well buy another one to have three so you can program that one yourself.
Old 4/15/11, 09:21 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Ford intelligent access keys have a hidden metal key inside so if your battery is dead you can use that to gain access to your car to pop the hood.
Old 4/15/11, 09:32 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Yeah the little metal part where you put the key ring slides out so you can open the car door.
Old 4/15/11, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I only got one key for the stang, and held off on getting a second one cuz of it's expense. Once you get two, you may as well buy another one to have three so you can program that one yourself.
The escape only came with one key too. Gonna have to get another one made before my sister loses the original.

Yeah the little metal part where you put the key ring slides out so you can open the car door.
Seems so unnecessarily complicated. I'd much rather just have a plain old key and remote. Not a fan of the push button starts either.
Old 4/15/11, 09:50 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
**** what a deal!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 4/15/11, 09:52 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Seems so unnecessarily complicated. I'd much rather just have a plain old key and remote. Not a fan of the push button starts either.
It is the only cool part is just leaving the key in your pocket and not having to use it to unlock/lock the car or start it.
Old 4/15/11, 09:54 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Except the rebuild title part. Have to look at everything and make sure it was repaired right.
Old 4/15/11, 10:03 PM

It is the only cool part is just leaving the key in your pocket and not having to use it to unlock/lock the car or start it.
I'd be OCD about the doors not locking when I walk away.

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast