Limited Edition 50th

Attn Ford: Dealer refused to sell me 50th LE..

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/14, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AWmustang
I said SHOULD not ARE REQUIRED TO. While yes, either party may cancel the "order" at any time for any reason, the way to earn loyal customers is to do what you said you'd do and stick to it. Customer service is often about doing what you can, rather than doing what you have to. (Note the case concerning the original poster is not about the dealer canceling the sale for more money. He acted inappropriately and there were consequences to those actions).

I ordered a Mazda 3 right around the time Ford sold the majority of their stake in Mazda. Prior to this sale I qualified for the Mazda equivalent of X plan through Ford. But after the sale I no longer qualified. Unfortunately I was unable to take delivery of the car prior to losing access to that discount. However, my dealership said, we'll honor the price. I understand a shrewd negotiator probably could have gotten to that price. My dealer was under no obligation to honor that price. But they did and that has made me a loyal customer and someone who refers others to them whenever I get the chance.

And its that type of service that will end up getting you far more money in the long run than pulling a car out from under someone for a couple grand.
I like how you talk as if you were a witness to this conversation. If you had read the first post, I had stated I did NOT act inappropriately! What good will it do for me to post my complaints, if I had deserved it. If you know what happens, then you are qualified to talk, if you aren't, then don't go out there saying that you know as a fact that I acted like a jerk.

Originally Posted by houtex
I am in no way an apologist. I just know both sides of the argument, and want to inform, as well as point out the problem where it lies. For one side in these things generally get hosed, and it's just not right. Such it is with the dealer bashing here. They did what they did to *protect* themselves from you.

That's not apologizing. That's simply stating the facts as they are in this day and age of 97% being a *fail* for surveys. 97%. Think about that. ONE survey can wreck a dealership's month.

You are that survey. Bye.

---

You talk about getting ripped off... but if you *choose to pay the markup*, you are not getting ripped off. You are *choosing* to pay the markup so you get the car.

If the car sits for a year, everywhere... it will not be marked up. If it's being bid upon like an auction, heck yes, it gets marked up.

You are NOT forced to buy the special, 1 of 1964 car. You *can*... but nobody's holding a gun to your head.

That's the choice. And if you can't do it, then someone else *will*.

I will tell you this. As a consumer I'd love me a WW 50th LE. Period. Want. BAD. Even with the Fusion front end.

I can't. Not even with no markup.

But if I had a few million in the bank and could splurge $75,000.. $100,000... heck, even $150,000... on the one you just forfieted?

Done. Yesterday. Fact. If I get to that point, I *WILL* have one. And I will likely pay too much for it. And I won't care. I have my car.

And they'll get their perfect survey too, if it's from a dealership, too boot.

That's what you're up against. That's why you shouldn't have rocked the boat. Like it or not.

Understanding the process and details of how all of it works, on both sides, is what I bring to the table here. As a consumer. And as an IT guy in the dealership watching how the deals are done.

Oh yes. You had no chance with that attitude, sir, and that's the plain truth, no 'sorries' about it.
You are a dealer apologist because you are a cheerleader of car dealers. If you are claiming that I was in the wrong and the dealer can do no wrong, it sure sounds like you are defending them. 2nd point, you have no IDEA of how I spoke to them. Like I told the other poster, if you were a witness to the conversation then you can talk, if you didn't then you can't say anything.
Old 10/9/14, 07:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
We got everything we needed to determine why the dealer did that from your first post. Didn't need to be there, you shared enough to make that determination.

You can be as polite as you want, but telling them they are getting a poor review before you even get the car is just not the way to handle things. If you don't think that's an issue then perhaps you should try and find a dealer (ANY dealer) that would work with such people.

Simply stated you got upset because the dealer backed out - due to your actions in giving them a bad survey if you had taken delivery - and now you're stomping your feet on the forums because of it. Whether you realize it or not, that is what most folks here are perceiving.
Old 10/9/14, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
We got everything we needed to determine why the dealer did that from your first post. Didn't need to be there, you shared enough to make that determination.

You can be as polite as you want, but telling them they are getting a poor review before you even get the car is just not the way to handle things. If you don't think that's an issue then perhaps you should try and find a dealer (ANY dealer) that would work with such people.

Simply stated you got upset because the dealer backed out - due to your actions in giving them a bad survey if you had taken delivery - and now you're stomping your feet on the forums because of it. Whether you realize it or not, that is what most folks here are perceiving.
I am indeed aware that mentioning the survey was indeed the final nail in the coffin. But there are people here who are accusing me of being a jackass to the dealer, which I was not. I am not going to take slander when I'm not in the wrong.

I am also not going to listen to people who defend dealers actions regarding gouging either. Also, I didn't bump this post because I'm trying to move on from it. People keep bumping it and I have to respond.
Old 10/9/14, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
You need to look up the definition of gouge. It is NOT what you think it is.

Every gas station in the state charging $8/gallon for regular is gouging. Dealers accepting offers over MSRP for a limited edition vehicle is NOT in ANY way shape or form gouging.

This happens in EVERY industry, not just vehicles. It's not gouging in any of those circumstances, either.
Old 10/9/14, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sometimes handling things with kindness is the best way. I personally wouldn't have tried to order one right off the bat because they probably don't want to sell it right away. The 2015 mustangs are just trickling out and it's going to be some time before the craze is over. Dealers are going to try to get as much as they can for them and isn't that "CAPITALISM".
Old 10/9/14, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
You need to look up the definition of gouge. It is NOT what you think it is.

Every gas station in the state charging $8/gallon for regular is gouging. Dealers accepting offers over MSRP for a limited edition vehicle is NOT in ANY way shape or form gouging.

This happens in EVERY industry, not just vehicles. It's not gouging in any of those circumstances, either.
http://motrolix.com/2014/09/dealers-...19a1-364949477

When the first-generation Mustang with Thriftpower inline-6 was launched, Carroll Shelby had a chance to drive one, and famously called it “a nice little secretary’s car.” Now, five decades later, Ford is celebrating the 50th anniversary of its premier “secretary’s car” with an anniversary edition 2015 Ford Mustang GT. With exactly 1,964 units are to be made, an homage to the first-generation’s year of introduction, this anniversary edition will likely be highly collectible.

And some Ford dealers are taking advantage of that fact.

While the 50th anniversary 2015 Ford Mustang GT stickers at $46,995, examples with a price of up to $70,000 are already turning up on eBay. The Detroit Free Press is reporting that a prospective buyer they interviewed — Tom Layton from Florida — found a dealer claiming to have sold a few for $62,000, with plans of marking up his last few to $70,000. Layton was later able to secure one for himself and his business partner at another dealer, with no price mark-up.

It’s perfectly legal for a dealer to mark-up inventory beyond the sticker price, and in the case of the 50th anniversary 2015 Ford Mustang GT, high customer demand allows for it.

But Ford is urging dealers not to mark-up the special edition Mustang. Spokeswoman Elizabeth Weigandt says that Ford recommends charging no more than the suggested retail price for the limited-run cars. And it may just be in the dealer’s interest long-term, as a customer who is gouged once is likely not to be a repeat customer.

The anniversary edition 2015 Ford Mustang GT comes donned with chrome highlights, special interior stitching and seat upholstery, and a plaque to verify its authenticity.

Sadly, no inline-6 is available on the limited-run models.
Old 10/10/14, 04:06 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Here's the legal definition of price gouging. The topic of this thread clearly does not meet these standards.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/p/price-gouging/

At least 13 states — Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia — have enacted statutes to deal with price gouging in the event a state of emergency is declared. Other states may address price gouging under general deceptive trade practice laws, depending on the nature of the state law and the specific circumstances under which price increases occur. Price gouging is often hard to define, and is often described vaguely as charging "unconscionably" high prices. For example, price gouging may be defined as renting, selling or offering to rent or sell a commodity at an "unconscionable price".
Price gouging statutes seek to stem opportunistic behavior, which is designed to take advantage of an unforeseen opportunity to charge a monopoly price by threatening to withhold output. It is often defined as a 10 to 25 percent increase over prices during the month before an emergency. One state defines “unconscionable price” as an amount charged, which either represents a “gross disparity” or “grossly exceeds” the average price available for these items and services in the same area 30 days immediately before a declaration of a state of emergency.
Old 10/10/14, 06:59 AM

As much as it pains me to agree, dealers charging 50k markups for a LE is not anything but capitalism, the product is not a necessity but a luxury. I hate that there are idiots willing to be taken for tens of thousands of dollars, encouraging that behavior, but the reality is, as much as I'd like to pay the 2014 equivalent of sticker for an original 427 S/C, that's not how it works..

Caveat emptor.
Old 10/10/14, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thaext
I like how you talk as if you were a witness to this conversation. If you had read the first post, I had stated I did NOT act inappropriately! What good will it do for me to post my complaints, if I had deserved it. If you know what happens, then you are qualified to talk, if you aren't, then don't go out there saying that you know as a fact that I acted like a jerk.

You are a dealer apologist because you are a cheerleader of car dealers. If you are claiming that I was in the wrong and the dealer can do no wrong, it sure sounds like you are defending them. 2nd point, you have no IDEA of how I spoke to them. Like I told the other poster, if you were a witness to the conversation then you can talk, if you didn't then you can't say anything.
I'm just going by what you said. And if you say "I didn't act inappropriately" and then go on to describe inappropriate activity, that pretty much trumps your statement. Now perhaps inappropriate isn't the most correct word. I suppose ill-advised might be more accurate. Further, if you didn't want people who weren't there to comment on the actions, why go on the internet and post about them???

The simple fact of the matter is that you acted in such a way that had consequences you didn't like and you came on here hoping everyone would take your side and join in the "bad dealer" bashing. When that didn't happen you didn't like it.

Last edited by AWmustang; 10/10/14 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10/10/14, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
From all of the articles I have read on the Anniversary edition. You just might have dodge a bullet. Not one article I have read said this would be a true collectors car. So you can look at it that way. Paying way over sticker is really crazy and you would never get anything close to that in the future. Look at the Shelby's. By me that were discounting them.

Last edited by Jazzman442; 10/10/14 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10/10/14, 10:26 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
From all of the articles I have read on the Anniversary edition. You just might have dodge a bullet. Not one article I have read said this would be a true collectors car. So you can look at it that way. Paying way over sticker is really crazy and you would never get anything close to that in the future. Look at the Shelby's. By me that were discounting them.
I agree completely

1964 cars is at least 1500 too many to be a collectors car

There's really nothing "special" about them

Does it have more horsepower?
Old 10/10/14, 01:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
In America, we have become so used to simply paying "sticker" for things (groceries to blue jeans) that our negotiation muscles have atrophied.

Not so for the folks who sell big-ticket items like vehicles and real estate. They work out an aggressive "negotiation weights" regimen. They are bulked up. I have no issue with that. Our "pay the sticker" cultural mentality is pretty odd compared to most of the world.

When we enter an arena where negotiation is a major part of the transaction, the basic rules are different from groceries and blue jeans. But we have become so accustomed to that, we often treat them as if they are the same sales arena.

For me personally, I adhere to just a few simple rules when buying a car. [1] Negotiate the total off-the-lot price, nothing else. If we cannot agree on that number, there's really nothing else to discuss. [2] If it turns out we cannot agree on that number, I shake hands, thank them for their time, and use my legs to exit the place.

For the OP, I can empathize with your disappointment. I think it really boils down to very different views of the negotiation process.

I try to always remember something my dad taught me; "Never love anything so hard with your heart you can't kick it off with your heel."

With that said, please know I regret you had a bad experience.
Old 10/10/14, 02:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I agree completely

1964 cars is at least 1500 too many to be a collectors car

There's really nothing "special" about them

Does it have more horsepower?

No it is a sticker and Badge package.
Old 10/10/14, 02:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
In America, we have become so used to simply paying "sticker" for things (groceries to blue jeans) that our negotiation muscles have atrophied.

Not so for the folks who sell big-ticket items like vehicles and real estate. They work out an aggressive "negotiation weights" regimen. They are bulked up. I have no issue with that. Our "pay the sticker" cultural mentality is pretty odd compared to most of the world.

When we enter an arena where negotiation is a major part of the transaction, the basic rules are different from groceries and blue jeans. But we have become so accustomed to that, we often treat them as if they are the same sales arena.

For me personally, I adhere to just a few simple rules when buying a car. [1] Negotiate the total off-the-lot price, nothing else. If we cannot agree on that number, there's really nothing else to discuss. [2] If it turns out we cannot agree on that number, I shake hands, thank them for their time, and use my legs to exit the place.

For the OP, I can empathize with your disappointment. I think it really boils down to very different views of the negotiation process.

I try to always remember something my dad taught me; "Never love anything so hard with your heart you can't kick it off with your heel."

With that said, please know I regret you had a bad experience.
Well Said. We all have been through bad negotiations. I have had to walk out on many new car showrooms.
Old 11/20/14, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
No it is a sticker and Badge package.
Actually, there is a little more to it than that... the 50 Year Limited Edition has a few items that are specific to that particular model (i.e. triple pane louvered rear quarter windows, custom wheels, two-tone embossed seats, door panel inserts, etc.). The LE is also the only way to purchase a 2015 in Kona Blue or Wimbledon White (instead of Oxford white which is available on all 2015's).

Additionally, the Limited Edition is the only way to purchase an automatic transmission, with the performance package. The performance package is available on both the EcoBoost and the GT models from what I understand. (In my opinion, the perf. pkg. is a must; it includes suspension upgrades - larger sway bars, larger brakes, etc.).
Old 11/20/14, 12:01 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangLady322
Actually, there is a little more to it than that... the 50 Year Limited Edition has a few items that are specific to that particular model (i.e. triple pane louvered rear quarter windows, custom wheels, two-tone embossed seats, door panel inserts, etc.). The LE is also the only way to purchase a 2015 in Kona Blue or Wimbledon White (instead of Oxford white which is available on all 2015's).

Additionally, the Limited Edition is the only way to purchase an automatic transmission, with the performance package. The performance package is available on both the EcoBoost and the GT models from what I understand. (In my opinion, the perf. pkg. is a must; it includes suspension upgrades - larger sway bars, larger brakes, etc.).
Marcy ! I understand totally where your coming from and agree with you, however I also agree with Mr Gary's post concerning that despite a LE of 1964 units, this still isn't a legitimate excuse for certain dealerships to mark this car up at 10k above MSRP regardless of those few other items you mentioned.. And Btw : I wouldn't even pay 10k above sticker for any Mustang including the Shelby GT350, 500 ect.

Just my $.02
Old 11/21/14, 12:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ruin him with the survey. Ive bought a few Fords and man do the staff try hard to kiss *** when it comes to survey time. "Please sir, make sure you fill out the survey" "We did good right? You happy is all that we want.... blah blah blah lower your pants and i will kiss your *** so my family can have food on the table" LOL salesmen
Old 11/21/14, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not too sure how this thread is still going! Hey OP, learn from your experience. Hopefully by this point in time, you would have gone to one of many other Ford dealerships in your area and started over (if you were still interested in the new Mustang)
Old 11/21/14, 02:25 PM
GT Member

My take on "Special Editions"

I've been buying cars for a long time, and helping family and friends buy cars too. If there is one piece of wisdom I can pass on, it's this:

No matter how wonderful a car is, no matter how special, no matter how limited a run, as long as it is a mainstream automobile mass produced by a car company and sold in a dealership, you will eventually have an opportunity to purchase such a vehicle if you want to.

Think about this. Another way to say it is, "all things come to those who wait." My best friend wanted a 2008 Bullitt Mustang. We walked into a dealership in January, 2008, and they would not budge at 5K over sticker. In November, 2008, we went back to the same dealership where he bought a...wait for it...2008 Bullittt Mustang for 5K UNDER sticker. Same car, same experience driving it. He only had to wait another 11 months, which allowed him to save up more money and actually pay cash for most of it.

If you look at your local CarMax, they get all sorts of cars. I check their database all the time to see what's there. They get Bullitts, Bosses, Corvette ZR-1s, Camaro Z-28's, you name it. I think I could guarantee you that within the next year, you will see at least one 50th Anniversary LE Mustang being sold at some CarMax somewhere in the country. And then if you want it, it's yours for the taking.

But even before then, by Memorial Day, Ford will be looking to blow out its '15 inventory because the 16's will be coming in. That 50th Anniversary edition might not be so marked up at that point. And that's the moment to buy. Why not wait? Who in your life is judging you right now by your lack of ownership? Why must it be NOW! RIGHT NOW??!!
Old 11/21/14, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by JCC07
I've been buying cars for a long time, and helping family and friends buy cars too. If there is one piece of wisdom I can pass on, it's this:

No matter how wonderful a car is, no matter how special, no matter how limited a run, as long as it is a mainstream automobile mass produced by a car company and sold in a dealership, you will eventually have an opportunity to purchase such a vehicle if you want to.

Think about this. Another way to say it is, "all things come to those who wait." My best friend wanted a 2008 Bullitt Mustang. We walked into a dealership in January, 2008, and they would not budge at 5K over sticker. In November, 2008, we went back to the same dealership where he bought a...wait for it...2008 Bullittt Mustang for 5K UNDER sticker. Same car, same experience driving it. He only had to wait another 11 months, which allowed him to save up more money and actually pay cash for most of it.

If you look at your local CarMax, they get all sorts of cars. I check their database all the time to see what's there. They get Bullitts, Bosses, Corvette ZR-1s, Camaro Z-28's, you name it. I think I could guarantee you that within the next year, you will see at least one 50th Anniversary LE Mustang being sold at some CarMax somewhere in the country. And then if you want it, it's yours for the taking.

But even before then, by Memorial Day, Ford will be looking to blow out its '15 inventory because the 16's will be coming in. That 50th Anniversary edition might not be so marked up at that point. And that's the moment to buy. Why not wait? Who in your life is judging you right now by your lack of ownership? Why must it be NOW! RIGHT NOW??!!
Wisdom sir. Wisdom. This might even change things for me. I was almost about to pay sticker. But decided ill wait research the platform and save more cash...

Quick Reply: Attn Ford: Dealer refused to sell me 50th LE..