Limited Edition 50th

Attn Ford: Dealer refused to sell me 50th LE..

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/14, 08:09 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thaext
To copy/paste from Mustang6G:

Below is what happened. Bottom line, Manager named Rodney Phillips from Colorado River Ford in Kingman AZ refused to sell me my LE that I ordered back in August. I put $1000 deposit. I contacted Ford Customer Relations and they couldn't do anything.

To sum it up in a few words... I told my salesman that he could been better at communicating with me, such as giving me monthly updates. I haven't talked with anybody at the dealer by phone since early last month and hadn't heard any updates. I email the salesman saying blah blah blah I'm not happy because of the lack of communication and then I ask him to tell the sales manager who placed my order to call me. Then instead of the sales manager, I get the big manager who informs me that he's not selling me the car because I said that their customer service needs work and I'm not going to be happy with them. He said that he didn't want to deal with me because I was "unhappy". I did mention the post purchase survey in the email exchanges.
F'm.. If they dont want your money someone else will.
Old 10/7/14, 08:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The problem is there's only so many of these going around, so that he lost it... he may indeed not have the ability to score another.

I've not chimed in, and I've been thinking. This is the 50th LE Mustang we're talking about here. That he had the ability to even be considering purchasing it, with the limited run it'll be, is pretty awesome.

But then he fairly clearly made it a potential nightmare situation for the Ford dealer by threats and what not, so the dealer did what is absolutely justified.

The *unofficial* bad survey this guy puts out means squat. It is one but a plethora of these that'll happen across the country due to short supply and one-up buying patterns for new models.

Does not one of us remember 2004? No? Hm.

The survey is the key. As long as the threat of the bad survey existed, the dealer had every right to tell the guy "well, yeah, that's just not worth our time to deal with you if you're guaranteeing us lost revenue over the deal. Take a hike." Those surveys are gold. Almost literally.

I'd boot him. "Go get your 50th LE from somewhere else, we'll still sell ours and likely not get the bad rap from it."

Sure, it'd be a problem, of sorts, but it wouldn't be on official paper.

Bottom line... Don't even *pretend* you'll be a jerk after delivery before you get the car. Go ahead and be one *after*. If you want it so bad. Otherwise, you're the kid in this commercial:

Harsh? Maybe. But there's two sides. I work in a dealership. I see that other side.

Have fun securing the 50th LE elsewhere, dude.

Last edited by houtex; 10/7/14 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10/7/14, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Speedwagon
F'm.. If they dont want your money someone else will.
Thanks for the support! Unfortunately all stealerships in the country are gouging the car like crazy, and I'm not paying any ridiculous amount they're asking for.

Originally Posted by houtex
The problem is there's only so many of these going around, so that he lost it... he may indeed not have the ability to score another.

I've not chimed in, and I've been thinking. This is the 50th LE Mustang we're talking about here. That he had the ability to even be considering purchasing it, with the limited run it'll be, is pretty awesome.

But then he fairly clearly made it a potential nightmare situation for the Ford dealer by threats and what not, so the dealer did what is absolutely justified.

The *unofficial* bad survey this guy puts out means squat. It is one but a plethora of these that'll happen across the country due to short supply and one-up buying patterns for new models.

Does not one of us remember 2004? No? Hm.

The survey is the key. As long as the threat of the bad survey existed, the dealer had every right to tell the guy "well, yeah, that's just not worth our time to deal with you if you're guaranteeing us lost revenue over the deal. Take a hike." Those surveys are gold. Almost literally.

I'd boot him. "Go get your 50th LE from somewhere else, we'll still sell ours and likely not get the bad rap from it."

Sure, it'd be a problem, of sorts, but it wouldn't be on official paper.

Bottom line... Don't even *pretend* you'll be a jerk after delivery before you get the car. Go ahead and be one *after*. If you want it so bad. Otherwise, you're the kid in this commercial:

I WANT THOSE SWEETIES! - YouTube

Harsh? Maybe. But there's two sides. I work in a dealership. I see that other side.

Have fun securing the 50th LE elsewhere, dude.
This experience I had with this dealer has left me with a sour taste in my mouth, and I have seen the truth that MOST dealers are in the stealership mentality by doing their gouge BS...
Old 10/8/14, 06:02 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the support! Unfortunately all stealerships in the country are gouging the car like crazy, and I'm not paying any ridiculous amount they're asking for.

This experience I had with this dealer has left me with a sour taste in my mouth, and I have seen the truth that MOST dealers are in the stealership mentality by doing their gouge BS...
Yeah... Unfortunately, every dealership does it. That's why my wife never goes with me while I haggle pricing. I really lay into the sales dude. F'm.. If you want the sale, give me my price. I've gone between dealerships quite a few times. And after I bought what I wanted at the price I wanted I made sure I drove into the other dealership to show it off!! hehehe... Oh well ...
Old 10/8/14, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think a dealership should agree to sell a car to a person for a particular price and then go back on that deal when someone offers them more.
But if they want to charge more for the car than the sticker price and they find someone willing to pay it, that is called the free market. Remember the S in MSRP is SUGGESTED. Now often times cars sell below the suggestion. However for rare models, they sell for over.
That is not gouging and that is not stealing.
Old 10/8/14, 02:29 PM

I heard the orders for the limited editions were a lottery
Old 10/8/14, 05:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Brigman
What's so special about it?
Old 10/8/14, 06:11 PM

There will only be 1964 of them and they include all the extras. Only blue and white. I personally would not pay the price they will be going for.
Old 10/8/14, 07:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have to say it: *You* left a sour taste in your mouth. For you didn't trust or believe the dealership was going to do right, you didn't trust or believe the car would get there, you wanted more information, and demanded it yesterday (from what I can glean here) and basically said to them, "You suck and it will be noted when I buy the car."

Because I know what's going on on their end: If I outright told them a survey is going to be 0... I would have to expect them to tell me to *take a freaking hike.* Because they can take the 'You suck' part, 'cause that's part of being a dealership, but they can't take the 'it will be noted' part.

In other words... your impatience and distrust is what got you here. THEY didn't do anything except do what they had to: Sacrifice your business to ensure they don't get worse screwed by selling the car. Let some other dealership deal with the problem purchaser, in their opinion, it'll be worth it for us.

Live and learn, I guess, but the problem is you've priced yourself out of the thing now. Unless you go back and offer $15,000 markup to get it. THEN they'll take the hit, for they'll make it up in some way.

I somehow doubt you'll do that, but hey... like I said, good luck getting another LE out there somewhere. I'm sure it can be done..?
Old 10/8/14, 07:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by AWmustang
I don't think a dealership should agree to sell a car to a person for a particular price and then go back on that deal when someone offers them more.
But if they want to charge more for the car than the sticker price and they find someone willing to pay it, that is called the free market. Remember the S in MSRP is SUGGESTED. Now often times cars sell below the suggestion. However for rare models, they sell for over.
That is not gouging and that is not stealing.
Reverse it just for a second.

You agreed 6 months ago to buy the car, sight unseen, and paid a down payment. The car is ordered, and it's on it's way.

A life changing event happens (imagine what you want to on that. But it's *bad*.) You cannot buy the car anymore, period.

Your rule should force that person to buy the car, because they said they would. But... cancer/heart attack/deployment/move/lost job!

Too. Bad. Here's your keys, loan papers, you will buy this car and LIKE IT.

As you see, you can't have a one way street on this. Until and unless both sides are bound by a contract, there is no sale, and no force of the sale, which is the correct way it should go. Once you have the dealer bound to sell the car in this manner, YOU are in fact going to be obligated to take it, and sign the contract TODAY, and start paying for the car before you even get it.

Ready for that road to be paved? No? I thought maybe not.

As such, until and unless an actual contract is signed and the car paid for (whether a loan or a check outright), that car is subject to be sold to the highest bidder as is the dealership's right.

Some dealerships would take the higher markup, and some are honorable. It's up to you to choose wisely, maybe do a little research, but under no circumstances should it be that one side is bound when the other isn't.

Last edited by houtex; 10/8/14 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10/8/14, 07:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I have to say it: *You* left a sour taste in your mouth. For you didn't trust or believe the dealership was going to do right, you didn't trust or believe the car would get there, you wanted more information, and demanded it yesterday (from what I can glean here) and basically said to them, "You suck and it will be noted when I buy the car."

Because I know what's going on on their end: If I outright told them a survey is going to be 0... I would have to expect them to tell me to *take a freaking hike.* Because they can take the 'You suck' part, 'cause that's part of being a dealership, but they can't take the 'it will be noted' part.

In other words... your impatience and distrust is what got you here. THEY didn't do anything except do what they had to: Sacrifice your business to ensure they don't get worse screwed by selling the car. Let some other dealership deal with the problem purchaser, in their opinion, it'll be worth it for us.

Live and learn, I guess, but the problem is you've priced yourself out of the thing now. Unless you go back and offer $15,000 markup to get it. THEN they'll take the hit, for they'll make it up in some way.

I somehow doubt you'll do that, but hey... like I said, good luck getting another LE out there somewhere. I'm sure it can be done..?
I agree. Whether it was right or wrong for the dealer to do what they did, it's pretty obvious why they did it. It's like walking into a crack house and telling them all you're calling the cops. It ain't right that they're going to beat your face in...but that IS the obvious response from them...

Maybe instead of throwing out the "you get a bad review" card the first chance you had, you could have told them that their communication was poor, and that you want to complete a perfect survey once the car arrives. Allow them to fix situation, and move on.
Old 10/8/14, 09:11 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
In any situation it pays to suggest a solution to a problem, diplomatically, rather than throw their hopes out the window with a 'you suck' attitude. Salesmen are people too, and at the end of the day, the people they like get the better service. Once in a while, it helps to sell yourself as a desirable customer
Old 10/9/14, 01:46 AM

You sure are a dealer apologist. I hope that every dealer who sells a gouged car gets a bad survey . After all nobody likes getting ripped off, and that's exactly what the dealers who are doing 10,15,20k+ markup is accomplishing.
Old 10/9/14, 06:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You sure are a dealer apologist. I hope that every dealer who sells a gouged car gets a bad survey . After all nobody likes getting ripped off, and that's exactly what the dealers who are doing 10,15,20k+ markup is accomplishing.
Supply and demand. They wouldn't charge that amount, if there wasn't someone willing to pay it. No one is forced to buy it, so I don't see how anyone is getting ripped off.
Old 10/9/14, 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

Same old story

The same thing has happened before at many dealerships when the upcoming gotta-have-it cool car was coming out. Eager consumer plunks down a deposit on the vehicle months and months before it will arrive. Eager consumer doesn't realize the deposit is not a contract, it's a good faith gesture on the part of the consumer as a precursor to the purchase. As mentioned before, it's not legally binding, which is the key to any financial transaction - who has leverage. The OP thought he has leverage with the deposit. Wrong. The dealer has it because they will have the car when it comes in, and can sell it to whomever they please, for whatever they please.

Here's the key issue here, in my no dog in this fight opinion. OP thinks he got shafted by greedy and unscrupulous 'stealership'.

Dealership has to make a tough call on what to do with 'anxious customer' / 'arrogant asshat', how you choose to characterize the OP is up to you.

Threatening them with the bad survey guaranteed this dealership would never sell this guy the car. They may end up selling it for MSRP to someone else who WILL give them a good survey.

I was frustrated when trying to find a dealer in New England that would sell me a 2012 Boss 302 for MSRP. Since this was such a hot car, everyone was paying sticker and higher just to get one. Supply and demand is one of the golden rules of capitalism. Lowest I could find was a 5k markup. So I bought my winter car, and waited until dealers had allocations for 2013 Boss 302. As it turns out I like the newer style better, and my patience was rewarded. Found a rural dealer with 1 Q3 allocation, and offered them MSRP on the spot, and drove up with my 500$ deposit the next day and punched my order into the system.

When I had some issues with the Trackey install the dealer got it sorted out and mentioned how I should be happy I got the car at sticker since they know all the other dealers charged hefty markups. I did say that I was satisfied, and will be giving them first crack at my next 2 purchases, a new F150 next year, and a Mustang after that. They could have sold my a Boss out from under me, but they didn't, and for that, I will try and do business with them again. Had they decided to be greedy, and sell my Boss to someone else, they might have made a few more grand off that sale, but lost my future business and my scathing online rants.

The public will never know if the situation could have turned out if the OP was patient and courteous. The dealer could still have decided to not honor the 'intent to sell' and refunded the deposit. If that happened, then word of mouth gets around, and dealer would probably lose more money in lost sales in the long run. But you can't quantify such hypotheticals on future events. Savvy businessmen know how to treat customers, and what is 'bad for business'. Good managers earn their salaries by making tough decisions. Telling the OP to take a hike after being threatened with a bad survey on a high demand car was probably NOT a tough decision.

If you want a consumer friendly price on a high demand car, be prepared to pay market prices. In my case it was full MSRP. I only bit the bullet and paid the price because it was worth it to me. Maybe the OP can learn a little something from this episode, and handle the next negotiation for an LE Mustang differently. Try finding a dealer that has one in the showroom and offer them sticker at the end of the month in Dec/Jan/Feb, even if it has a markup listed. Be nice, be smart, and if you DO buy it for sticker, or maybe just a 1k markup (whatever the market price is...), give them a good survey.
Old 10/9/14, 08:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
^ that, and just being nice and polite with people will get you pretty far. Instead of immediately complaining, politely bring up the issue so it can be fixed.
Old 10/9/14, 10:25 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
There will only be 1964 of them and they include all the extras. Only blue and white. I personally would not pay the price they will be going for.
That is correct, Brigman. Not all dealers will get one either.

Deysha
Old 10/9/14, 11:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Reverse it just for a second.

You agreed 6 months ago to buy the car, sight unseen, and paid a down payment. The car is ordered, and it's on it's way.

A life changing event happens (imagine what you want to on that. But it's *bad*.) You cannot buy the car anymore, period.

Your rule should force that person to buy the car, because they said they would. But... cancer/heart attack/deployment/move/lost job!

Too. Bad. Here's your keys, loan papers, you will buy this car and LIKE IT.

As you see, you can't have a one way street on this. Until and unless both sides are bound by a contract, there is no sale, and no force of the sale, which is the correct way it should go. Once you have the dealer bound to sell the car in this manner, YOU are in fact going to be obligated to take it, and sign the contract TODAY, and start paying for the car before you even get it.

Ready for that road to be paved? No? I thought maybe not.

As such, until and unless an actual contract is signed and the car paid for (whether a loan or a check outright), that car is subject to be sold to the highest bidder as is the dealership's right.

Some dealerships would take the higher markup, and some are honorable. It's up to you to choose wisely, maybe do a little research, but under no circumstances should it be that one side is bound when the other isn't.

I said SHOULD not ARE REQUIRED TO. While yes, either party may cancel the "order" at any time for any reason, the way to earn loyal customers is to do what you said you'd do and stick to it. Customer service is often about doing what you can, rather than doing what you have to. (Note the case concerning the original poster is not about the dealer canceling the sale for more money. He acted inappropriately and there were consequences to those actions).

I ordered a Mazda 3 right around the time Ford sold the majority of their stake in Mazda. Prior to this sale I qualified for the Mazda equivalent of X plan through Ford. But after the sale I no longer qualified. Unfortunately I was unable to take delivery of the car prior to losing access to that discount. However, my dealership said, we'll honor the price. I understand a shrewd negotiator probably could have gotten to that price. My dealer was under no obligation to honor that price. But they did and that has made me a loyal customer and someone who refers others to them whenever I get the chance.

And its that type of service that will end up getting you far more money in the long run than pulling a car out from under someone for a couple grand.
Old 10/9/14, 05:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am in no way an apologist. I just know both sides of the argument, and want to inform, as well as point out the problem where it lies. For one side in these things generally get hosed, and it's just not right. Such it is with the dealer bashing here. They did what they did to *protect* themselves from you.

That's not apologizing. That's simply stating the facts as they are in this day and age of 97% being a *fail* for surveys. 97%. Think about that. ONE survey can wreck a dealership's month.

You are that survey. Bye.

---

You talk about getting ripped off... but if you *choose to pay the markup*, you are not getting ripped off. You are *choosing* to pay the markup so you get the car.

If the car sits for a year, everywhere... it will not be marked up. If it's being bid upon like an auction, heck yes, it gets marked up.

You are NOT forced to buy the special, 1 of 1964 car. You *can*... but nobody's holding a gun to your head.

That's the choice. And if you can't do it, then someone else *will*.

I will tell you this. As a consumer I'd love me a WW 50th LE. Period. Want. BAD. Even with the Fusion front end.

I can't. Not even with no markup.

But if I had a few million in the bank and could splurge $75,000.. $100,000... heck, even $150,000... on the one you just forfieted?

Done. Yesterday. Fact. If I get to that point, I *WILL* have one. And I will likely pay too much for it. And I won't care. I have my car.

And they'll get their perfect survey too, if it's from a dealership, too boot.

That's what you're up against. That's why you shouldn't have rocked the boat. Like it or not.

Understanding the process and details of how all of it works, on both sides, is what I bring to the table here. As a consumer. And as an IT guy in the dealership watching how the deals are done.

Oh yes. You had no chance with that attitude, sir, and that's the plain truth, no 'sorries' about it.

Last edited by houtex; 10/9/14 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10/9/14, 06:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by AWmustang
I said SHOULD not ARE REQUIRED TO. While yes, either party may cancel the "order" at any time for any reason, the way to earn loyal customers is to do what you said you'd do and stick to it. Customer service is often about doing what you can, rather than doing what you have to. (Note the case concerning the original poster is not about the dealer canceling the sale for more money. He acted inappropriately and there were consequences to those actions).

I ordered a Mazda 3 right around the time Ford sold the majority of their stake in Mazda. Prior to this sale I qualified for the Mazda equivalent of X plan through Ford. But after the sale I no longer qualified. Unfortunately I was unable to take delivery of the car prior to losing access to that discount. However, my dealership said, we'll honor the price. I understand a shrewd negotiator probably could have gotten to that price. My dealer was under no obligation to honor that price. But they did and that has made me a loyal customer and someone who refers others to them whenever I get the chance.

And its that type of service that will end up getting you far more money in the long run than pulling a car out from under someone for a couple grand.
I did mention that some do. And some don't. But nobody on either side is ever required to do the deal when the car comes, and shouldn't be. That's all.

Quick Reply: Attn Ford: Dealer refused to sell me 50th LE..