GT

Rev Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/19, 08:43 AM
V6 Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Rev Limiter

So I found out how it feels when the rev limiter kicks in LOL. I was in 1st and going down an access road, got on it hard, then didn't shift in time and it lost all power. I read that the limiter stops the gas from pumping. That was a first for me and was a mistake, but it wont happen again of course, good that the limiter keeps you from messing up the engine. I didn't realize we had that in our mustang.
Old 4/3/19, 10:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
I hope it actually cuts the ignition, if it cuts fuel that could cause a lean condition which might be bad. In any case I think the engineers do know what they were doing with this.

I go to some drifting events at my local track just for fun (they are a hoot to watch BTW, even if not your cup of tea . . . ) and there is nothing that grates on my nerves more than a loud 4-cylinder riding the rev limiter like BWAA ---- BWAA ---- BWAA ---- BWAA . . . .
Old 4/3/19, 12:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Bert
I hope it actually cuts the ignition, if it cuts fuel that could cause a lean condition which might be bad. In any case I think the engineers do know what they were doing with this.

I go to some drifting events at my local track just for fun (they are a hoot to watch BTW, even if not your cup of tea . . . ) and there is nothing that grates on my nerves more than a loud 4-cylinder riding the rev limiter like BWAA ---- BWAA ---- BWAA ---- BWAA . . . .
Is it the ignition? I know it lost power and basically went to like limp mode, but as I pressed the clutch and upshifted it went back on. I still need to read up more on it. I watch drifting on youtube. Some good stuff out there.
Old 4/9/19, 04:46 AM
V6 Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert

Hahaha I know what you mean. They sound really bad. Having plenty of 4 cylinders in the UK, it's common place for someone in a Ford Focus to do that upon leaving events.
Old 4/9/19, 04:48 AM
V6 Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rpinaiii
So I found out how it feels when the rev limiter kicks in LOL. I was in 1st and going down an access road, got on it hard, then didn't shift in time and it lost all power. I read that the limiter stops the gas from pumping. That was a first for me and was a mistake, but it wont happen again of course, good that the limiter keeps you from messing up the engine. I didn't realize we had that in our mustang.
I'm not too sure what cuts out but it will have been ok. As mentioned, the engineers will have worked out the best solution to prevent over revving. Did the dash dials light up red? I believe it does so when you hit the red line.
Old 4/11/19, 10:49 AM
V6 Member

^^ Marco GT no, i do not remember any of the dash lighting up, it happened so quick. but i have the base manual GT so maybe it would have been different in a higher trim manual model.