GT

Questions before ordering a New GT

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/15, 10:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Questions before ordering a New GT

I'm going to order a 2016 GT Premium unless I find out about some downsides I wasn't aware of.

Config:

Manual trans
401A
Performance Package
Premier Trim with Color accent Group
Adaptive Cruise

Paint: Orange, Silver or Oxford White.

I understand the transmission is the same MT82 as my 2011 but the 2016s I've driven shift a lot better. Were all the problems in the S197s fixed with a better shifter or internal changes?

Anyone own or driven a manual with Adaptive Cruise? There aren't any on lots near me. Obviously it won't downshift when speeds drop but what happens when a shift is needed? Does cruise just disengage? Any message or tone? Also when you do shift up or down with cruise engaged, does the cruise (adaptive or otherwise) re-engage automatically when you let out the clutch like in some cars?

Any White or Silver PP owners have the silver version of the wheels? I'll want the default black for an orange car but not sure about white or silver and would like to see pics of those with the silver versions.

I debadge all my cars. Not emblems but anything made up of letters or numbers. So will want to remove the 5.0 on the fenders and the big GT letters in the back. The S197s had locating holes in the GT fenders for the 5.0. Does anyone know if you can just pull the 5.0s off on the '16s? And if they still use locating holes, are there other non-letter/number "badges" you could replace them with? I think the S197s had some packages with tri-bar ponies or something. Hopefully no holes and I can have bare fenders.

Can't decide which of those three colors yet. Orange is a less common color for cars which is a plus and it makes me think of classic Mustangs. Silver won't draw as much attention which is also a plus. White gives me endless choices for stripes IF I ever decide to add some.

Any common problems with this model or those options? I'm not seeing any jumping out in the forums. Seems like there were a lot in the first years of the S197s.
Old 12/25/15, 05:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The manuals continue to give guys problems with the 2015-2015 cars. Nothing has changed. I love my auto and will never go back to a manual car. As far as color goes I like my Ingot Silver but would have been equally happy with Orange or White.
Old 12/25/15, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
The manuals continue to give guys problems with the 2015-2015 cars. Nothing has changed. I love my auto and will never go back to a manual car. As far as color goes I like my Ingot Silver but would have been equally happy with Orange or White.
Oh well. At least they shift better for some reason. The S197 linkage was crap and not mounted to the transmission as god intended. Regardless, it doesn't seem like I'll need to change the shifter for a 2016.

Gotta stay manual. Don't know if my wife even knows how to drive an automatic but know neither of us wants to. The only automatic I've had since the '70s was a Syclone which you couldn't get a manual in. But need to find out more about the adaptive cruise. I have a 2013 Cadillac but couldn't order it with adaptive cruise because Cadillac doesn't offer it with the manual transmission. Interesed in finding out how Ford kept it from being a train wreck either practically or legally.

I'm assuming the car will let you shift without disengaging adaptive cruise. My Cadillac lets me shift without disengaging the regular cruise.

But there would be no point in adaptive if traffic slowed from 65 to 30 on the freeway and adaptive cruise turned off when you downshifted. Not much point in adaptive if you have to then manually accelerate when traffic clears and reset cruise all over every time. But I need to confirm they didn't do something that ridiculous.

Also curious about how they got adaptive cruise in a manual past the lawyers. I mean they would have to somehow tell the clueless owner they need to downshift before the engine lugs and maybe even tell them they might want to up-shift when the engine is running at red line. If there wasn't some sort of audible or visual announcement, you can bet someone would be suing when they got rear-ended after cruise disengaged and the car slowed to idle OR the engine burned itself up running at red line for a whole tank of gas on a road trip. LoL

I guess the most logical would be to just have a time-to-shift suggestion sounded or displayed that you'd never get if you shifted before that. So basically give that a little before an automatic would have shifted. Of course logical and lawyers are often mutually exclusive.

You'd think the owners manual or something at Ford.com would cover this. But nothing in the manual and I can't find anything at Ford.com.
Old 12/27/15, 06:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My GT manual makes a loud whining noise in 1st and 2nd gear that I didn't notice on the test drive because I didn't drive it as aggressively as I do now that I own it. After about 2000 miles, it started making a LOUD CLUNK when I downshift into 3rd or 4th and release the clutch. It now grinds going into 2nd and 3rd. What did the dealership shop foreman say? It's a "muscle car transmission". (That's not entirely true as it's also used in the European Transit van). He also said, "There's no part we could change that would fix this problem." I'm just really glad I didn't pay sticker price for the car because if I had, I'd have let them repo it. I saved enough with incentives to either put a Tremec T56 Magnum transmission in it, or just live with the problem knowing I saved about $5500 off of sticker. It's a wash. I wouldn't buy the car again, but now that I have it, I try to enjoy the things about it that I like (Bad@ss looking, fast, solid/safe feel) and overlook what I don't (crappy transmission, WAY too much lumbar support, gauges hard to see because of the large info screen between them, causing the steering wheel to be in the way). By the way, you don't need cruise control. You'll be passing everything else on the road anyway.
Old 12/28/15, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015-2016 5.0 does have pilot holes in fender behind badge...I'll post a pic as soon as I can.
Old 12/28/15, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's a pic...don't mind the lint/dirt on the fender lol
Attached Thumbnails Questions before ordering a New GT-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 12/28/15, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by EastTN15RubyRed
Here's a pic...don't mind the lint/dirt on the fender lol
Can't believe they still do that. Two fender part numbers OR drilling the holes on the assembly line which is harder than just gluing them on.

I'm gonna need to look at a badge in parts to measure the distance between so I'll know the smallest size thing I can cover the holes with. Unless you know or have a guess as to to the size. Are the pins in the badge near the corners?
Old 12/28/15, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why on earth would you want to remove the 5.0 or GT? I've driven V6s for the past 20 years and it felt pretty good to put that 5.0 back on the fender.
Old 12/28/15, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mick St John
Why on earth would you want to remove the 5.0 or GT? I've driven V6s for the past 20 years and it felt pretty good to put that 5.0 back on the fender.
I replaced my chrome badges with black ones.
Old 12/28/15, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Can't believe they still do that. Two fender part numbers OR drilling the holes on the assembly line which is harder than just gluing them on. I'm gonna need to look at a badge in parts to measure the distance between so I'll know the smallest size thing I can cover the holes with. Unless you know or have a guess as to to the size. Are the pins in the badge near the corners?
Holes are more in the corners of the badge. I have a pic of the badge I can post tomorrow.
Old 12/29/15, 04:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Here's a pic that should show you were the holes lineup with the 5.0 badge.
Attached Thumbnails Questions before ordering a New GT-5-0-badge-fender.jpg  
Old 12/29/15, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by EastTN15RubyRed
Here's a pic that should show you were the holes lineup with the 5.0 badge.
Perfect! I can measure a badge on the car at the dealer now and calculate the width between the holes.

Thanks again!
Old 12/29/15, 06:53 AM

Why on earth would you want to remove the 5.0 or GT?
Why do you care about someone else's preferences?

I don't care to be a rolling billboard. So I don't allow a dealer to add any badging, I don't use a dealer license plate frame. And its the same for what Ford wants to advertise. I'm okay with some emblems and badging that have artistic merit (to me) but nothing alpha numeric. I don't have any problem with anyone who likes them and don't expect anyone to be bothered by what I like. I would prefer NOTHING on the front fenders but if I have to cover holes, I'll pick something that looks good to me or at least the best available.

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 12/29/15 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12/29/15, 07:06 AM

Looks like I'll probably be passing on the adaptive cruise. Owners say the cruise disengages anytime you use the clutch. Its a freaking convenience feature. Makes no sense to have to hit resume any time you need to down shift because traffic slows too much for a gear or when you up-shift when they speed up. Its a shame because the regular cruise control on my manual trans Cadillac automatically re-engages when I let out the clutch when I shift.

I might look into ways to automatically send a resume command when the clutch is let out if cruise was engaged when the clutch was pressed (or within a short time).
Old 12/31/15, 01:18 PM

I am ready to order on an A-Plan but found a LOT of similar 2016 GTs at various dealers around the country advertised for less than the A-plan price. I called a few and asked a lot of questions to make sure those were the real prices and that they weren't event cars or demos or hail damage, etc. Even after adding in their dealer fees some were more than $1,500 LESS than the A-Plan price with all applicable incentives. Some dealers had numerous GTs with prices well below A-Plan. Some were very new but the oldest had an August build date. The most common denominator though seems to be they are almost all manual trans (which is what I will be buying).

Anyone have any ideas what's going on? I mean it doesn't seem likely that there are that many being sold at a huge loss. A-plan is defined as the dealer cost minus their hold back and minus advertising fees plus a $250 processing fee. So it would seem the GTs I found must all be selling at a big loss.

There's too many and too widely spread to be dealer damaged and repaired or something like that.

So did 60 minutes do a show telling everyone to stay away form 2016 GTs with manual trans?

It shouldn't be any big dealer incentives for those cars because the Web site for A-plan customers is supposed to show those as well.

Very confused.
Old 1/1/16, 04:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SMH, Ha Ha Ha
Old 1/1/16, 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Why do you care about someone else's preferences?

I don't care to be a rolling billboard. So I don't allow a dealer to add any badging, I don't use a dealer license plate frame. And its the same for what Ford wants to advertise. I'm okay with some emblems and badging that have artistic merit (to me) but nothing alpha numeric. I don't have any problem with anyone who likes them and don't expect anyone to be bothered by what I like. I would prefer NOTHING on the front fenders but if I have to cover holes, I'll pick something that looks good to me or at least the best available.
When my 2014 was hit earlier this year...uhh...I mean...last March...I had the 5.0s shaved from the fenders. I prefer the smooth look too (RTR deck lid as well).

A couple weeks ago I had met my cousins for dinner and was slowly driving through the crowded parking lot - I see a group of early 20s guys and their girlfriends pointing at the car and hear one of the guys say "Ooo I like that hood!" Then his attention moves to my fenders and goes "oh, 6-cylinder " I smirked. Gave him a 5k rev with my cat back and HF cats. They all went "Ohhhhhhh" as there was no question what I had done.
Old 1/1/16, 09:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Oh and for the 2016s being on the lot...it's winter time. Best time to deal on a Mustang. Plus the model year will end in 4-5 months so it's not like the 2016s are anything special now. I'm sure beating A-plan would be no problem for most dealers. They're still making a little money off the cars. Now try to buy a GT350 anywhere near MSRP and you'll find out why the GTs are so discounted
Old 1/1/16, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a 2016 GT Premium on Dec 12th. I got a great price well below dealer invoice by using Autotrader.com to find dealers within 500 miles that sell at low ball prices. I found an identically equipped car 400 miles away at a really low price and told my local dealer I will buy out of state unless they match the price. The local dealer came to within a few hundred dollars of the out of state price so I ordered the car locally. It worked for me. Good luck.

Last edited by rjzink2@gmail.com; 1/1/16 at 09:37 AM.