GT

Installed Corsa Extreme and lost all my torque....

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/16, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Corsa Extreme and lost all my torque....

HI all ,
Been lurking around the different forums since September when I picked up my 15 GT Premium PP 6 speed. reading what I can since this is my first adventure into domestic muscle . so far I am loving the car , doesn't quite have the kick of my Z32 but then again that is a TWIN TURBO boosting at 23lbs on E85. ..
That aside I recently installed the Corsa Extreme Catback . I love the sound , if you have considered it but think it may be too loud, its not .,.its perfect and you can control the level of noise. under 2800 its stock quiet.. over that .. well window shattering! lol .. no complaints at all with the system, fits great looks good and sounds incredible,,,.

however , I have had it in for about a week now and have noticed that I no longer get the tire spin thru 2nd and 3rd gear that I did with the stock exhaust , everything I could find to read said that the back pressure loss is negligible to performance due to the choke point being the headers and cats not the rest of the exhaust . but this loss of power and torque is sickening.. my wifes camry will get to 65 quicker than this car now, it sounds great but lost its *****.... is this something a tune will fix or is the 2.5 catback the only way to maintain the correct back pressure? ..

I knew I wasn't going to get an increase in power from exhaust unlike my Z32 where I found 85 ft lbs of torque and 38HP by going 3inch downpipes to 3" test pipes . but I didn't expect the loss of power I am experiencing. the other odd thing is that it feels a little better in normal mode over SPort?? could the sport setting be affecting the power with the Higher flow? I am new to the NA large displacement scene so any info would be appreciated.

I am also on the fence on what tune since it seems to be mixed reviews on all the available Tunes out there. Yes I have read plenty but have decided to ask directly for my situation I am experiencing.
Old 4/24/16, 06:01 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AKeith
HI all ,
Been lurking around the different forums since September when I picked up my 15 GT Premium PP 6 speed. reading what I can since this is my first adventure into domestic muscle . so far I am loving the car , doesn't quite have the kick of my Z32 but then again that is a TWIN TURBO boosting at 23lbs on E85. ..
That aside I recently installed the Corsa Extreme Catback . I love the sound , if you have considered it but think it may be too loud, its not .,.its perfect and you can control the level of noise. under 2800 its stock quiet.. over that .. well window shattering! lol .. no complaints at all with the system, fits great looks good and sounds incredible,,,.

however , I have had it in for about a week now and have noticed that I no longer get the tire spin thru 2nd and 3rd gear that I did with the stock exhaust , everything I could find to read said that the back pressure loss is negligible to performance due to the choke point being the headers and cats not the rest of the exhaust . but this loss of power and torque is sickening.. my wifes camry will get to 65 quicker than this car now, it sounds great but lost its *****.... is this something a tune will fix or is the 2.5 catback the only way to maintain the correct back pressure? ..

I knew I wasn't going to get an increase in power from exhaust unlike my Z32 where I found 85 ft lbs of torque and 38HP by going 3inch downpipes to 3" test pipes . but I didn't expect the loss of power I am experiencing. the other odd thing is that it feels a little better in normal mode over SPort?? could the sport setting be affecting the power with the Higher flow? I am new to the NA large displacement scene so any info would be appreciated.

I am also on the fence on what tune since it seems to be mixed reviews on all the available Tunes out there. Yes I have read plenty but have decided to ask directly for my situation I am experiencing.
My 2015 doesn't drive the same since I had the Roush AB exhaust installed. Love the sound, but I have noticed it doesn't drive the same as it did with the stock exhaust. Not sure why??? I also had it professionally installed.
Old 5/5/16, 08:53 AM

update to my previous post.

I ordered a SXT4 tuner from BAMA and loaded the 93 R tune.. seems to have recovered lost power and it is not popping as much on decal anymore, im assuming the dual X pipe changed the flow characteristic enough where as it warranted a Tune to recalibrate., I do plan on Datalogging to maximize the tune they provided.. With the Tune the car feels like it used to in track mode now.. Im sure it is juts the adjustment of the traction control and throttle response which leads me to my next question .. since normal setting feels like sport\track with the Tune installed if I click it to sport\track now it feels the same? does the tune only enhance the normal mode to feel like sport? and yes I asked Bama and kind of got a canned response from them that it enhances the drive modes... .

overall I am much happier now than I was 2 weeks ago after first installing the exhaust . I do plan on adding long tubes eventually and getting a real dyno tune done at that point.. so if anyone else has noticed the torque\power loss after installing exhaust just get a tune that seems to fix it obviously I cant say how much torque or power was lost and gained back but the butt dyno says I got it all back and maybe a little extra ,oh and the torque curve... It definitely feels smoother, more powerful and longer as well ..."that's what she said " -Michael Scott...
Old 5/7/16, 06:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The double x-pipe on the Corsa Extremes doesn't require a tune. A tune is only needed with an exhaust change when you either move the cats or get rid of them altogether.
Old 5/7/16, 09:04 AM

that's what I had read also, and since everything on the internet is true I believed it as well.. so I put my stock exhaust back on and regained the lost torque..I had several friends in my Z club drive it before uploading the tune with the stock exhaust , and with the corsa before uploading the tune ..after installing the Tune it cleaned up the Idle and I don't think it necessarily gained any more power, but it gave me my torque back.. perhaps on 87 or 91 octane that most states punish their cars with it is not as prevalent which is why most people say it does not need a tune.However on 93 octane you can definitely tell a difference with the Tune on that exhaust ..

as a disclaimer this is my first NA car in a long time but I do trust my butt dyno.. Tune + Corsa is a better way to go than just the exhaust it is a noticeable drop in perceived torque.
Old 5/7/16, 09:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Do you have a shop with a dyno near you? I'm sure Corsa would be interested in an unbiased before and after chart, if what you say is true...
Old 5/7/16, 10:11 AM

yes there are several close by , I planned on doing a Dyno tune when I add the LTs . but we do have a Dyno day coming with my Zclub in june I could slip the stang in there then .. I am not by any means knocking the exhaust it is awesome ! sounds incredible and is a very good fit and well built , 0 complaints , I am just stating what I feel when I drive. I felt that I lost some kick, the comparison to my wifes camry was over dramatic but it was definitely noticeable to everyone who drove my car last weekend when I was swapping them back and forth , the same way some can notice the difference in handling after stiffer bushings and braces are installed and some cant. whether it lost the torque or just moved it further up the curve either way I am happy with the exhaust itself. and with the tune installed it feels the way it should. and the popping on decel is gone as well which is nice for my neighbors .. as I mentioned earlier as well it may just be more pronounced with the 93 octane we run here in Texas compared to the lower grades in most of the country ..
Old 5/14/16, 06:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Remember you went up to a 3" exhaust so the power band can shift a little more north which is why you felt the loss of some torque.
Old 5/14/16, 02:47 PM

That's the conclusion I have come to as well, however with the tune the torque is back down low again and I am happily watching the traction light flash as I run thru the gears , and with only 5200 miles I already need new tires lol . so on to the next question.... would a stickier compound ie.(pilot super sport ) in a 285\40 hold well enough on the stock PP rim size or is a wider rim needed to hold power to the road without spin with just bolt on mods. I know at a point a wider tire can cause more parasitic loss on the driveline than the gain from having a larger contact patch for grip. and if I can avoid spending an extra $1000 for decent rear rims that aren't boat anchor heavy that would be Great, .. and yes I am installing the steeda "ultimate stop the hop" kit next weekend as well once my new springs arrive. hoping that helps it grab the road a bit more.. If I planned on supercharging I would deff be looking into fitting a 315 to the rear but really don't see the need on a bolt on car ... but I could be completely mistaken...