GT

God-awful noise after startup.

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/18, 12:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Glad you got 'er fixed Woody, and thanks for the tip. I also had the "free" oil change problem one one of the wife's car. The dealer ran a special, three free oil changes when you bought a car. The Service dept. had no idea, and I had to bring my salesguy out to explain it to them.

I'm just wondering if the clutch slipping was what build up the heat causing the rubber seal to melt. The reason I ask I have no idea what they could have rerouted to keep the heat off of the compressor. I mean the compressor is attached in a set place, isn't it?
The following users liked this post:
woody24 (6/14/18)
Old 6/14/18, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
I'm just wondering if the clutch slipping was what build up the heat causing the rubber seal to melt. The reason I ask I have no idea what they could have rerouted to keep the heat off of the compressor. I mean the compressor is attached in a set place, isn't it?
My thought too. It's not like they could flip-flop it with the alternator. Probably just making it up as he wasn't the one who did the work. Unless maybe they just zip-tied some cables up out of the way that may have been obstructing airflow?

Kinda curious to see how bad it was. Just picturing a pile of melted goo dripping from the compressor.
wanted33 (6/15/18)
Old 6/15/18, 05:10 AM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. Hopefully Dumbo is gone for good!
woody24 (6/15/18)
Old 6/24/18, 11:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by woody24
I asked if the excessive heat was a concern. Service Rep said this is the first time they've ever seen this problem, so I shouldn't worry about it. Said they re-routed some stuff to get it away from the heat.

I wouldn't worry about it but I also wouldn't believe anything that rep told you. First time, maybe for that rep. Lots of compressors have been changed on these cars and others. The front seal probably leaked all the refrigerant and some oil out causing the compressor to partial seizure when heated. The serpentine belt would then slip and burn on the clutch pulley when engaged.
What could they possibly reroute to "get away from the heat" when the compressor's at the front of the engine with fan air blowing all over it? Man some of these rep's sure like to spew.