The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f850/)
-   -   God-awful noise after startup. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f850/god-awful-noise-after-startup-545673/)

woody24 6/1/18 03:19 PM

God-awful noise after startup.

Past two days my car's been making this awful noise right after start up. Happens about 10-20 seconds after the car's been running, and only lasts about 2 seconds.

It's an all-encompassing sound that seems to have no direction, and the only way to explain it, is that it sounds like a Jake-Brake but much higher in pitch.

But it seems to only make the noise after the engine has cooled down for about 1/2 hour. Still warm, but not completely warmed up. And not all the way cool, because it won't do it at the first start in the morning. And it won't do it if it's been driving, shut off, and turned right back on.

I tried to stop at the dealer this afternoon, but the car was too warm to replicate the noise. So Monday I'm going to go in, wait in the lounge for 20-30 minutes, and then try to show them.

Anyone come across a noise like this? My first thought was the AC. But I'm 90% sure that the first time it did it, the AC was off, because I remember having my windows down, and chalked the noise up to a passing vehicle.

woody24 6/1/18 03:40 PM

I let my car cool down exactly 1/2 hour and went to start it up. Made the noise. Here it is:

Sounds like nails on the chalkboard.

slow.stang 6/1/18 07:07 PM

Man that is bizarre has to be something transmission related or a pulley. Just can't figure out why it only happens on cold starts and why the delay. Or...the starter is getting reengaged.

1 old racer 6/1/18 07:13 PM

Air cond. compressor when it first engages.

slow.stang 6/1/18 07:44 PM

I was under the impression the AC was off.

woody24 6/1/18 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by slow.stang (Post 7030534)
I was under the impression the AC was off.

I forgot to make sure that the air was off during this video. Air is on during the sound. I'm fairly certain the air was off the first time I heard this though, but I could be mistaken.

But, it only does it once. If I were to shut it off and start it up again, it would not make the noise.

woody24 6/2/18 03:59 PM

It's definitely part of the AC. It's getting more common today, and I can turn off and on the sound by the AC power. Stopped by Ford dealer and told me to call next Thursday or Friday to get it scheduled.

ZGrand 6/2/18 04:11 PM

Let's talk about the elephant in the ......

....engine bay.:heh:

woody24 6/2/18 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ZGrand (Post 7030569)

I played the video for the Ford service guy and that's exactly what he called it.

wanted33 6/7/18 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ZGrand (Post 7030569)

:rofl2: That's exactly what I thought.

Not making light of your noise Woody, that does suck. Let us know what the dealer finds. You never know when one of us might need that information. Good luck.

woody24 6/7/18 09:44 PM

Made the call today to take it in next Monday. But, they aren't going to give me a loaner, only a ride back home. At least the guy I talked to couldn't make that decision.

Driving today, the AC is completely out. Blowing only hot air. Was a nice 92 degrees today, and I decided to make a road trip.

Not what I really expected a brand new car with 4000 miles. And I rarely use the AC. Only during super sweaty days like today. If it's <85, the windows are down. So it's not like it had much time to wear itself out.

Mustang Freak 6/8/18 01:25 AM

I don't know why you can't get a loaner it's a brand new car!!! That would piss me off right there! Hopefully they fix your car correctly! :shame:

David Young 6/8/18 03:49 AM

That's bad. My Ford dealer gives a free loner car if your under warranty and you can rent one if you're out of warranty. All in the 'showroom' :)

wanted33 6/8/18 11:29 AM

Get to the right person Woody, you should get a loaner. I understand why you're a bit upset, but these things happen. Hopefully they get you back on the road soon, and the car will be good from then on.

Dr Plastic 6/8/18 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak (Post 7030866)
I don't know why you can't get a loaner it's a brand new car!!! That would piss me off right there! Hopefully they fix your car correctly! :shame:

It all depends on the dealership. Ford Corporate will not authorize a loaner as it is not specified on your warranty. Loaners come out of the dealerships pocket.

Mustang Freak 6/8/18 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Plastic
It all depends on the dealership. Ford Corporate will not authorize a loaner as it is not specified on your warranty. Loaners come out of the dealerships pocket.

I wasn't blaming Ford I know it's the stealerships call. I personally would be going to another dealership then. :yup:

Dr Plastic 6/12/18 04:58 PM

I didn't say you were.

Mustang Freak 6/12/18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Plastic
I didn't say you were.

All good! :yup:

woody24 6/13/18 08:36 AM

Day 3 of the car being in the shop. I have an Automatic.com device plugged in, so I can see where the car's at and when it's been driving. So far, it hasn't moved the last two days. Seems that it's sitting in their back parking area.

I wasn't too fond of this dealer when I had my '06, but I gave them one more shot when I bought my '17. But during this whole new situation, it seems they treat their customers who've actually bought cars from them, the same way as someone who didn't. Their whole attitude in dealing with them has just been piss poor.

I've got a loaner (rental) that I may or may not have to pay for. 2 people said they would not pay for it. The third guy just went and talked to the guy who deals with the rental cars on the lot but never told me or the rental guy if they were picking up the tab.

This dealer just acts like they have zero time for you.

woody24 6/14/18 09:26 AM

Got the car back this morning. Here's the official statement from their inspection and work:

A/C Clutch slipping when engaged. Rubber melted out of clutch. Clutch discolored due to excess heat. Ultra Violet light showed A/C dye at front seal of compressor. Replaced A/C compressor assembly.

I asked if the excessive heat was a concern. Service Rep said this is the first time they've ever seen this problem, so I shouldn't worry about it. Said they re-routed some stuff to get it away from the heat.

So now you know. If your car has an elephant under the hood, your AC has melted from being too hot.

Side note about the dealer. While everything was taken care of in the end, I would have expected a dealer, who's just recently built like 5 brand new state-of-the-art dealerships to have a system that talks to each other.

When I went to pick up the car, they said I owed $44.xx for the oil change. I had them do it while it was in since I had it scheduled 2 weeks from now. When I bought my car, they told me oil changes were free for the first 2 years. When I mentioned that to the service rep, he said, "Oh, I didn't know. The only way I would know is if you told me, and you didn't mention that when you dropped it off."

Again, sort of an attitude back to me for something that I would have assumed was tied to my VIN number, which is printed right here on the warranty work. And I did mention that I bought the car from them in December when he asked that when we first started talking. I just assumed everyone who bought new cars got complimentary oil changes. And if they don't, a note would have been on my account. My bad.

Oh well. Hopefully I won't have to deal with them much any more.