GT

2018 Mustang GT Receives Level 2 Performance Pack

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/18, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by 759Rider

i never really thought about it. No idea how that all works but seems smart.

Also very not sure if it works different with something worth $20k as opposed to $200k.

Noticed our cars cars are kind of twins. You has stock rear bar and Steeda front? I am placing an order with them for jacking rails and some other toys. Do I need a front bar?
Yes, stock rear and Steeda front.

I didn't like the body roll in corners. The springs help, dampers help, but the sway bar makes it all go away. I like mine. It makes the car technically understeer more (in theory, stiffer front) but I fix that with -2deg of camber. Love the way it handles, it's like it's glued to the road, and I get oversteer at the limit which i can easily control with throttle.

Originally Posted by Bert
and unfortunately it doubles the cost of a track day, give or take . . . for my car valued at about $20K (which is high) I was quoted $250/day IIRC, so I decided to go bare

coincidentally I saw a guy crash his new Porsche 911 (not sure exactly which model) into a tire wall also . . . and he took it pretty well, until the track crew dragged it back to the paddock on a rope, and smashed it into a concrete wall on the way . . . not sure if the track ever paid up for that, but I don't think that tow truck driver is working there any more . . . doubt that guy had track insurance
Yeah, you have a 15% deductible and a $22k policy is ~$185 for the weekend. It does double the cost of a track day. I pay because
1) I find it much easier to walk away from $3-4k than $22k
2) If you're worried about pushing it because if you crash you're screwed, you won't really push it. And if you don't push it you don't really learn anything new.

At least that's the way I look at it. Helps me go 9/10 or 10/10 is some areas of the track.
Old 5/10/18, 02:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
To everyone else, sorry about the tangent / thread hijack . . . you can redirect us back on point at any time, meanwhile:

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
. . .
2) If you're worried about pushing it because if you crash you're screwed, you won't really push it. And if you don't push it you don't really learn anything new.

At least that's the way I look at it. Helps me go 9/10 or 10/10 is some areas of the track.
Yeah, I get that . . . and even more than fear of damaging the car, the fear of getting seriously hurt is holding me back a bit these days. I am getting old and I break easily, LOL . . . so I think I would take that insurance money and spend it on safety equipment instead, such as a HANS device and a good helmet for starters. (I am still using a fairly cheap motorcycle helmet)

Last edited by Bert; 5/10/18 at 03:03 PM.
Old 5/10/18, 03:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Yeah, I get that . . . and even more than fear of damaging the car, the fear of getting seriously hurt is holding me back a bit these days. I am getting old and I break easily, LOL . . . )

good and interesting point. This is has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with reality.

Recently (my industry friend) Jack Baruth had a very well written article on the subject. Long story short: modern sports car (including the comparatively mild Mustang family) are running speeds and lap times that if it were racing would require significant safety equipment. Cages, driver PPE, etc... The point being is that at track days we are all over driving the vehicle’s safety equipment, which is designed to protect occupants in 60mph crashes, not double that.