Ecoboost

Some questions I have about the 2015 Mustang Eco boost

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/14, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions I have about the 2015 Mustang Eco boost

Right now I own a 2012 Mustang GT coupe. I plan to trade it in for the 2015 Ecoboost premium convertible with PP and Navi. I have some questions about the new 2015's. Thanks in advance for any help.

1, Do the 2 gauges that come with the PP in the center dash work in real time? Like is the boost gauge in the center just an idiot gauge?
2, If I get the GPS Navigation package does this delete the 2 gauges in the center dash that comes with the performance package?
3, I had a lot of lower control arm issues with my 2012. It was brought to the dealer 5 times for squeaks, groans in the front lower control arm bushing, has this problem been fixed?
4, Can the new 2.3 eco boost engines take Regular gas or is Premium required?
Old 12/31/14, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
With respect to question number 4 what I have seen is that yes you can use 87 octane in the 2.3 motor but it comes with a substantial loss in horsepower. As I recall it drops it from 310 to about 270. There is also a corresponding drop in torque. That is all based on what I have read on the net so I encourage you to check the owners manual or ask your dealership first.
Old 12/31/14, 03:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Reference Question #3...The entire front suspension was redesigned after the engineers did the IRS and were not happy with the handling using the old set up. One of the magazines did a nice break down on all that is new. I will see if I can find it for you..
Old 12/31/14, 04:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
1. To my knowledge they do work.
2. The navi does not delete the gauges.
3. Don't know
4. It can take regular but as 3point7 said it does come with performance drops.

Last edited by mustangfan410; 12/31/14 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12/31/14, 08:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangfan410
1. To my knowledge they do work.
2. The navi does not delete the gauges.
3. Don't know
4. It can take regular but as 3point7 said it does come with performance drops.
All correct. For #3 I can only say that yes, it's a completely new design and I haven't experienced any issues (and I do have the PP).
Old 12/31/14, 08:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Why would you run 87 in a turbo car? And/or why would you run 87 in your GT? And why would you trade a 5.0 for an EcoBoost??
Old 12/31/14, 11:46 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Why would you run 87 in a turbo car? And/or why would you run 87 in your GT? And why would you trade a 5.0 for an EcoBoost??
Why do you need all 420 in your GT when you're griping about bumper to bumper freeway traffic all week long? Save a few bucks and get some heat in your house.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/1/15 at 12:02 AM.
Old 1/1/15, 02:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Why do you need all 420 in your GT when you're griping about bumper to bumper freeway traffic all week long? Save a few bucks and get some heat in your house.
Heat is working now and longevity of my engine is worth that $7-10 per fill up!
Old 1/1/15, 10:53 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not knocking the EB but I see it as a down grade from 5.0, IMHO.
Old 1/1/15, 10:56 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I've never ran anything but 87. Times have been tight.

Should I switch?
Old 1/1/15, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I've never ran anything but 87. Times have been tight.

Should I switch?
I personally run 93 in my 3.7 engine because it has better detergents than your standard 87 octane and thus helps the engine last longer. I also use only major brand name gas, in my case Shell. It doesn't really give my car a serious performance bump. There is a slight increase in performance but not much. I just prefer it for the detergents that help keep the carbon build up to a minimum.
Old 1/1/15, 03:14 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 3point7
I personally run 93 in my 3.7 engine because it has better detergents than your standard 87 octane and thus helps the engine last longer. I also use only major brand name gas, in my case Shell. It doesn't really give my car a serious performance bump. There is a slight increase in performance but not much. I just prefer it for the detergents that help keep the carbon build up to a minimum.
Octane has nothing to do with detergents. And since your ECU adjusts timing according to octane, you are not doing anything whatsoever concerning engine longevity.
Higher octane only affects performance only on engines that are tuned accordingly (which Ford's ECU does automatically with 'advanced spark ignition' rolled out on 08 Bullitt, now across the V6/V8 line. Not sure about EB engines...)

... and longevity of my engine is worth that $7-10 per fill up!
You do know Dr. Bill would publicly chew you a new ******* on the radio over that statement right? You know, Wattenburg the rocket scientist?

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/1/15 at 03:18 PM.
Old 1/1/15, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Octane has nothing to do with detergents. And since your ECU adjusts timing according to octane, you are not doing anything whatsoever concerning engine longevity.

?[/COLOR]
The 93 octane has better detergents than the 87 octane is the only point I was making. That's why I use it.
Old 1/1/15, 03:25 PM
Post *****

The 93 octane has better detergents than the 87 octane is the only point I was making. That's why I use it.
Not necessarily. The additives to whatever brand fuel you buy are what act as detergents and they can add that to both 93 or 87.

And fuel delivery drivers will inform you the gasoline itself is the same regardless of the brand or station be it Shell, Chevron, Costco, Brand X. However, on filling the station's tanks, each brands additives are added accordingly.

Octane rating has zip to do with detergents.
Old 1/1/15, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not necessarily. The additives to whatever brand fuel you buy are what act as detergents and they can add that to both 93 or 87. And fuel delivery drivers will inform you the gasoline itself is the same regardless of the brand or station be it Shell, Chevron, Costco, Brand X. However, on filling the station's tanks, each brands additives are added accordingly. Octane rating has zip to do with detergents.
Well then I'll take my 10hp lol
Old 1/1/15, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not necessarily. The additives to whatever brand fuel you buy are what act as detergents and they can add that to both 93 or 87.

And fuel delivery drivers will inform you the gasoline itself is the same regardless of the brand or station be it Shell, Chevron, Costco, Brand X. However, on filling the station's tanks, each brands additives are added accordingly.

Octane rating has zip to do with detergents.
Shell is a top tier gasoline and Shell 93 octane uses more detergent additive than their 87 blend. I've already researched it and that is why I use it and will continue to use it.

GASOLINE: PRESSURE AT THE PUMP
-- Among samples of regular unleaded gasoline (those with an octane rating of 87), Exxon had the highest level of additives (20.0 milligrams per 100 milliliters), closely followed by BP (17.2 mg) and Shell (16.2 mg). Trailing substantially were CITGO (6.0 mg) and Pilot (5.8mg).
-- Among premium fuels (92 or 93 octane), Shell took the top spot (31.0 mg), followed by BP (26.4 mg) and Exxon (21.2 mg). CITGO (9.4 mg) and Pilot 92 (8.8 mg) lagged behind the other three brands -- including the trio’s regular gasoline samples.
http://projects.scrippsnews.com/stor...s-gas-quality/

Last edited by 3point7; 1/1/15 at 03:51 PM.
Old 1/1/15, 03:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Not necessarily. The additives to whatever brand fuel you buy are what act as detergents and they can add that to both 93 or 87. And fuel delivery drivers will inform you the gasoline itself is the same regardless of the brand or station be it Shell, Chevron, Costco, Brand X. However, on filling the station's tanks, each brands additives are added accordingly. Octane rating has zip to do with detergents.
This is VERY incorrect. My uncle has been a Mobil chief engineer for 40 years. For 25 of those, his primary job has been developing the detergents in Exxon/Mobil fuel. The higher octane fuel does indeed have better add packs.

Last edited by typesredline; 1/1/15 at 03:53 PM.
Old 1/1/15, 04:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
This is VERY incorrect. My uncle has been a Mobil chief engineer for 40 years. For 25 of those, his primary job has been developing the detergents in Exxon/Mobil fuel. The higher octane fuel does indeed have better add packs.
Well he's done a fine job given that Exxon fuel offers the most consistent amount of additive across both 87 and 93 octane blends. I just prefer Shell because it has the highest amount of additive in its 93 blend.
Old 1/1/15, 05:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Well he's done a fine job given that Exxon fuel offers the most consistent amount of additive across both 87 and 93 octane blends. I just prefer Shell because it has the highest amount of additive in its 93 blend.
I appreciate that. He started there after winning the bronze star and purple heart in ww1. He was on Normandy beach on D day.

I also use shell mostly. Sometimes I'll use Hess Armanda or Sunoco. Rarely I'll use Citgo, but not anymore after that reading the report you posted. Lol.

Last edited by typesredline; 1/1/15 at 05:02 PM.
Old 1/1/15, 05:26 PM
Post *****

Shell is a top tier gasoline and Shell 93 octane uses more detergent additive than their 87 blend. I've already researched it and that is why I use it and will continue to use it.
Originally Posted by typesredline
That's why I said not necessarily.

Regardless, claiming that higher octane 'saves your engine' is marketing bull**** by the oil companies so as to trick fools into buying their higher margin product. Many car owners buy premium on that lie when their engines aren't even tuned for 'premium' octane fuel.

And at what point does the alleged increased detergents in your Shell/Mobil/whatever brand 93 become useless?? Detergents can only do so much in an internal combustion engine.

Maybe some of our resident experts will chime in. Or you two can use the search function. This is an old worn out story.

Quick Reply: Some questions I have about the 2015 Mustang Eco boost