Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Suspension upgrade advice?

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/12, 09:26 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension upgrade advice?

Hey all. I am looking for some advice on some potential suspension upgrades for my GT500. I was originally drawn to the Boss for its balance and handling prowess but I ended up getting this for a price I couldn't pass up.

I guess my main goal is to be able to have it hook up better and have better street and track manners. It is my understanding that a Watts link and upgraded control arms can go a long way towards these goals.

Also, I think having adjustable shocks is of interest to me, but I can't be sure because I have never had them and don't know if I would see enough improvement over the SVTPP struts/shocks to make it worth it. Are they something that I can set for a cushy ride on road trips and such things and them tighten them up for a track day, or are they more just for fine tuning at the track?

How much handling/ride quality benefit (if any) would there be to upgrading my SVTPP shocks/struts to Koni Sports (while they are still on sale)? I don't want to lower my car much or at all - I wouldn't be able to drive it many places the crappy roads where I live (also don't want a bunch of extra NVH). If I did upgrade shocks/struts I don't know if I would just stick with the SVTPP springs or if I had any other options.

Of course, I don't want to spend a bunch of money if benefits aren't going to be "night-and-day" worth it, especially because I only plan on one, maybe two track days per year.

Should I just stick with what I've got, maybe go with the just Watts link and rear control arm upgrades, or put together a full package with shocks/struts, springs, sway bars, watts link, control arms, etc? Any advice or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 5/9/12, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not 100% familiar with the stock suspension on the GT500's but I can tell you from personal experience that adj panhard, adj LCA's, adj UCA, and adj C&C Plates sure helped give my GT more "balance" than just the lowering springs that came with it. I have read great things from people who have replaced their panhards with a watts-link on their GT500. Koni adj struts and shocks will be a great balance to bring everything together IMO as well. If money isn't of huge concern, why not drop some good coin and go with a Griggs system? To me that's the best money can buy at a consumer level from what I've seen and I have been piecing my suspension together over the past 12 months or so.
Old 5/9/12, 09:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put Koni Sports with FRPP P springs on my '12 GT and it was definately a night and day difference.

And the difference in full soft or full hard on the adjustments is easily noticable.
Old 5/10/12, 03:44 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, guys.

I think the Griggs setup is too rich for my blood. From what I have gathered from around the forums, Sam Strano can probably put me something together that is comparable but much less money. I think I am fairly set on the Watts link and control arm upgrade.

As far as dampers go, I get the feeling the SVTPP ones are significantly more track-oriented than the GT ones but not quite as fancy as the Boss (and without the adjustability, of course).

I wonder if anyone has driven and compared cars with SVTPP dampers to ones with Koni Sports that could weigh in on the subject?