Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/13, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension help

So I'm lookin at upgrading my suspension on my '12 gt and I am COMPLETELY lost in terms of what I would need and whatnot...I've never had a good grasp of suspension stuff and what it does and because of this I have a ton of questions...I use my car for daily driving, mostly highway with a little bit of city...I was lookin at goin with steeda sport springs, Koni shocks and struts (don't know which ones) and then uca's, lca's, and a panhard bar but I don't know what to look for in the control arms and stuff...also some sort of understand as to what all this stuff does...
Old 1/31/13, 09:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
https://themustangsource.com/f669/gu...r-s197-447906/

This is a great explanation of what the parts do. Most of whatever you read elsewhere will be peoples opinions regardless of whether they even own the parts they are commenting on.
Old 1/31/13, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. V
https://themustangsource.com/f669/gu...r-s197-447906/

This is a great explanation of what the parts do. Most of whatever you read elsewhere will be peoples opinions regardless of whether they even own the parts they are commenting on.
Thanks! That's the problem I keep running into then I dig through the forums
Old 2/1/13, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nateakabrog
So I'm lookin at upgrading my suspension on my '12 gt and I am COMPLETELY lost in terms of what I would need and whatnot...I've never had a good grasp of suspension stuff and what it does and because of this I have a ton of questions...I use my car for daily driving, mostly highway with a little bit of city...I was lookin at goin with steeda sport springs, Koni shocks and struts (don't know which ones) and then uca's, lca's, and a panhard bar but I don't know what to look for in the control arms and stuff...also some sort of understand as to what all this stuff does...
Start with STEEDA sport springs and KONI shocks, STRT are non adjustable and the Sport ones are adjustable. This will depend very much on your budget and your usage (if you track often go with the sport ones, if not STRT). I have the STRT with STEEDA sport, and is a great setup, I got them from Sam Strano, for me was the best investment for my car, immediate improvement on handling and looks.
Old 2/1/13, 08:26 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
How you plan to drive the car really is the main factor here. Perhaps it's your DD, you love to drive on the curves, but the car will never see a track. Perhaps you will track it a few times per year. Perhaps drag it. First, determine how you will use the car, and how you want the performance to change from the stock set-up. Be careful not to get too carried away (read: expensive). Many of the items you listed might not be necessary, especially if you won't track the car. UCAs, LCAs, probably not needed. Panhard bar, might not be needed...lower the car first, then see if the rear shifts more than 1/2 inch. The Steeda spring & Koni shock/strut combo is very popular (I don't have that set-up but many TMS users have it and love it). One resource that you may want to try is a TMS user named Sam Strano...many TMS users consult with him for suspension. He also sells at good prices. I have not used him, but again, many others have and say good things. My advise, don't get sucked in to buy too much. Sometimes, springs/dampers/sways (Ford Racing sells a nice complete kit) are all you need to transform the GT into a true sports car (that's all I did, and the car is amazing on the track). Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 2/1/13, 08:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
go with what ever springs you want depending on how much of a drop you want. Steeda pro springs will be the biggest drop and the most sensitive ride you will get. You will feel every pebble and bump in the road. With the sport springs the ride will be much better and tolerable. Get some Koni shocks and struts no matter what springs you end up getting. Get an adjustable pan hard bar. Set it while you have a half tank of fuel and then forget about it. The pan hard will help you center the rear end under the car. You will probably want to get some camber bolts to help bring the camber into speck. make sure you tell the alignment shop you have then so the will make the proper adjustments
Old 2/1/13, 08:43 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Nathan - I repeat...DO NOT get a new panhard bar until AFTER you lower the car, to see if the rear axle gets away from center. I dropped my rear 1.5", and I still DO NOT need a new panhard bar. Don't pay attention to what's common or what's cool. Get only what you need. And remember, don't just buy brand x springs or brand y shocks, because others are telling you to. First determine what your goals for the vehicle are, then consult with a professional. Just my advice...
Old 2/2/13, 07:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I suggest the panhard bar for two reasons. One the stock is a long some what flexible piece. Two the after market pieces are usally more robust and tend to flex less. Its a piece I would replace before I would replace the uca or lca's. Some cars rears seem to shift when lowered and some don't. Most I have seen do shift some enough to matter and some not so much.
Old 2/2/13, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

maybe check this out??
https://themustangsource.com/f722/fr...-275-a-518229/