Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Suspension Guru's -Advice on Street Setup

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/13, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Guru's -Advice on Street Setup

Hey folks, just picked up my 2012 GT last Saturday and looking and spending some of my tax return on getting her to where I'd like.

I'm first addressing the suspension, this is my first Ford and obviously my first Mustang. After scrounging around the various forums and sites I've decided on trying this:

Koni STR.T Struts
GT500 Top Hats
Steeda Ultralite Springs
BMR Lower Control Arms (Non-Adjustable)
BMR Upper Control Arms (Non-Adjustable)
BMR Upper Control Arm Relocation Bracket
BMR Front Sway Bar
BMR Rear Sway Bar
BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar

This is a daily driver and 80% street with some drag strip time. Let me know if this is going to be overkill for the street.
Old 2/17/13, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First welcome to TMS.

For a daily driver that will see a little track time...imo this is a is a great setup. I have a 2010 with track pack, so I already have GT500 sway bars and GT500 lower control arms, other than that I'm currently running bmr springs, koni str.t''s and a bmr adjustable phb. I'll be adding their relo brackets and some lower control arms, and that's gonna finish off my suspension for a while. Ohh and my car is a daily driver
Old 2/17/13, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Onelildude
First welcome to TMS.

For a daily driver that will see a little track time...imo this is a is a great setup. I have a 2010 with track pack, so I already have GT500 sway bars and GT500 lower control arms, other than that I'm currently running bmr springs, koni str.t''s and a bmr adjustable phb. I'll be adding their relo brackets and some lower control arms, and that's gonna finish off my suspension for a while. Ohh and my car is a daily driver
Are the sway bars going to be excessive for the street? Unless I'm doing 50 MPH in the turning lane I'm not sure they are going to be needed.

Do you happen to know how big the GT500 sways are size wise? They might be more budget friendly and get some stiffness.
Old 2/17/13, 08:26 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sway bars may be a little unnecessary for the street and I would also advice getting an adjustable UCA is you plan on lowering your car to help correct pinion angle and to help eliminate Wheel hop if it exists.
Old 2/17/13, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Sway bars may be a little unnecessary for the street and I would also advice getting an adjustable UCA is you plan on lowering your car to help correct pinion angle and to help eliminate Wheel hop if it exists.
Jay,

Can you shoot me a PM with the price of the BMR stuff minus the sways? I found the Struts on another site, and due to a discount code I doubt anyone can beat their price.

Would you be able to offer a discount for buying all of it/forums discount?
Old 2/17/13, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Jay. Aftermarket swaybars might be a little over kill and your stock ones will do the job on the street. If you plan on taking it on a road course then you should upgrade
Old 2/17/13, 10:15 AM
GT Member

Get the BMR adjustable UCA and the UCA bracket.
Old 2/17/13, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I also agree on the swaybars,get everything you mentioned except them along with an adjustable uca and you,ll be very happy.
Old 2/17/13, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ponywars
I also agree on the swaybars,get everything you mentioned except them along with an adjustable uca and you,ll be very happy.

Will do, thanks everyone for the advice.

Just gotta price them out and see which Vendor has the best prices.
Old 2/17/13, 12:06 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

I will have a lightly used bmr Uca, Uca bracket and bmr billet non adjustable lca's coming off my car by approx mid march. I will post a for sale ad about that time.

BTW I have Steeda sway bars for the street and I like it.
Old 2/17/13, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by MJJ
I will have a lightly used bmr Uca, Uca bracket and bmr billet non adjustable lca's coming off my car by approx mid march. I will post a for sale ad about that time.

BTW I have Steeda sway bars for the street and I like it.
Do you feel like you're getting your moneys worth with them on the street? At $400-500 a set I'm just worried that I won't being using them to their full extent on the street like you would at a auto x track.
Old 2/17/13, 05:26 PM
GT Member

Jay should give you a great price on the BMR stuff. You can always add the Sways later, they're pretty easy to install. Talk to Jay about MM camber plates, instead of going w/ the GT500 mounts.
Old 2/17/13, 05:36 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by James Taugner
Do you feel like you're getting your moneys worth with them on the street? At $400-500 a set I'm just worried that I won't being using them to their full extent on the street like you would at a auto x track.
My car has 550+ rwhp so when I crack the throttle at 4000 rpm it is important that I have as much traction as possible. So in that way they are important and worth the money.

They have a little more NVH than what I wanted for a street car and as a result I am swapping out for Roush.
Old 2/17/13, 09:19 PM
Former Vendor

Sent you a pm brother, I don't offer Steeda products but I can offer everything else. Just let me know!
Old 2/17/13, 09:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Sent you a pm brother, I don't offer Steeda products but I can offer everything else. Just let me know!
Great service and fast response from hypermotive. I'm glad I ordered my shocks and struts from them. I highly recommend them.
Old 2/18/13, 08:35 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Great service and fast response from hypermotive. I'm glad I ordered my shocks and struts from them. I highly recommend them.
Thank you very much Sir! Hope you enjoy your new setup.
Old 2/18/13, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Awesome! Went ahead and ordered a full suspension setup. Hopefully it'll turn this Mustang from an already good handling car to a amazing one.
Old 2/19/13, 02:51 PM
Former Vendor

Awesome! Went ahead and ordered a full suspension setup. Hopefully it'll turn this Mustang from an already good handling car to a amazing one.
Thanks James, you're going to love your new setup!
Old 2/19/13, 04:24 PM
GT Member

Free advice from us, pics and a review from you.
Old 2/19/13, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It will!!

Quick Reply: Suspension Guru's -Advice on Street Setup