Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/13, 07:19 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Very sharp, thanks for all the details and pics.
Old 12/28/13, 04:49 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the part #'s and links!!
Old 12/29/13, 06:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
No problem, hope it helps a few people!
Old 12/30/13, 03:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is awesome. I was wondering if I could just build those myself. Seems like I can now. Good stuff.
Old 12/30/13, 04:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
This is awesome. I was wondering if I could just build those myself. Seems like I can now. Good stuff.
Went together pretty well. Having the parts list helps of course. If I figure out a better way to connect the ducting to the bezels (or if I find a PN for the Ford bezel duct attachment piece) I'll update the thread, but what I did worked just fine.
Old 6/24/14, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I'm about to try this mod myself. Several months after your last post, are you still happy with the set up? Anything you've changed or would recommend doing differently?
Old 6/25/14, 02:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by John H
I think I'm about to try this mod myself. Several months after your last post, are you still happy with the set up? Anything you've changed or would recommend doing differently?
Only thing different I would do would be buy the lower inserts from blowfish racing now that they are available. Mine didn't have the backing piece to support easy ducting attachment. Otherwise it's been a great addition. Have had no rubbing issues or any issues to speak of

One of my next projects is to rig something up for rear brake cooling. I get a lot of heat on the rear brakes...
Old 6/26/14, 11:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That sounds like an interesting venture.
Old 8/31/14, 04:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

After continued brake fade issues I've had at track outings this year, I did some research and found the 2011/2012 Mustang routing has a significantly larger inlet area compared with the fog light bezels I have been using. Additionally, the routing has fewer bends, so significantly less loss in the duct.

So I bought a set of 4" to 3" ducting reducers (basically the same as the JLT inlets) for $2.50 each on Amazon. I drilled out the side areas of the lower grill and installed as shown.

Based on quick measurements, it appears I'm gaining about 50% more area with these inlets compared with the FR bezels. A comparison show is below.

I also put in SS lines today, which should help stiffen the pedal a bit more too.

I'll be out again in just over a week to test the new setup. I'm hopeful that I'll FINALLY have no brake fade with this ducting setup.

Comparison

Passenger side routing - basically straight until taking a single bend to the brake disk:

Drivers side routing - also basically straight till the single bend to the rotor

Both installed and the FR bezels blocked off:

Old 9/1/14, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Nice work! So is that basically a JLT kit with a larger inlet you have on now?

I can't wait to hear how it works out for you! I've been pondering the JLT kit myself, as it's far more reasonably priced than that Ford Racing kit you just upgraded.
Old 9/2/14, 03:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Nice work! So is that basically a JLT kit with a larger inlet you have on now?

I can't wait to hear how it works out for you! I've been pondering the JLT kit myself, as it's far more reasonably priced than that Ford Racing kit you just upgraded.
Yep, basically the JLT kit, but I made my own inlets for a grand total of $5... gotta love amazon and a little creative engineering.

I looked at getting a flow meter to try to collect some data to see what level of airflow I'm getting with the two setups at different speeds, but airflow meters aren't cheap... Also I meant to get caliper/rotor temps at Watkins Glen, but I forgot when I got there. So unfortuantely I don't have any real solid data to compare, but I'll certainly have qualitative data next week based on brake feel and durability over the course of the 2 days.

PLEASE NO BRAKE FADE!!
Old 9/2/14, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Good luck and I wish you no fade.

It be good to see rotor temps. I may try to get some of the color changing stickers from a coworker of mine next time I get around to doing a track day. I've been curious too. My pads are supposedly good to 1650 deg, but I get deposits on the rotors if I start pushing longer into the brake zones. So my guess is I'm north of 1700 deg. It would be good to know to see how effective the cooling is.

Before my next event I'll try some of these to get a better idea of where the caliper temps are:
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=708

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 9/2/14 at 07:59 PM.
Old 9/2/14, 08:09 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
hey dmichaels, this thread was a really good read. Thanks and good luck.
Old 9/3/14, 06:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
hey dmichaels, this thread was a really good read. Thanks and good luck.
Thanks - happy to contribute and hopefully help a few others avoid the learning curve I've been on
Old 9/5/14, 01:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

So all I should need is the backing plates for each front wheel, the reducers from large tubes to backing plate, the tubes of my choice, and the canyon sized bezels that you bought and I should be good to go.
Old 9/5/14, 03:56 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanna see machine guns and missiles shoot out that huge inlet. Nicely done!
Old 9/5/14, 05:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

So all I should need is the backing plates for each front wheel, the reducers from large tubes to backing plate, the tubes of my choice, and the canyon sized bezels that you bought and I should be good to go.
Here's what I have installed right now:

High temp 3" ducting:
Ducting Ducting

Backing plates: Backing Plates
4" to 3" ducting reducer
Inlets Inlets
- I cut the 4" section off, leaving a flanged 3" inlet. You can see the flange in my pictures - the 3" portion extends inwards

Add in a few zip ties and a 3" hole saw to cut through the grill (and A LOT of patience for connections and routing), and you've got yourself brake cooling.

I'll be out testing the new inlets and routing in just a couple days... will report back.

Last edited by dmichaels; 9/5/14 at 05:26 PM.
Old 9/5/14, 05:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by solscooter
I wanna see machine guns and missiles shoot out that huge inlet. Nicely done!
I've long wanted a couple of remote triggered paint ball guns installed in my Jeep bumper to help decorate the cars of those idiot drivers...

should get some nice flow through the new setup though. MAYBE just MAYBE I won't get brake fade finally. Sure would be nice to really push the car!!
Old 9/6/14, 01:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

My brakes have been feeling a little lacking lately for some reason. They don't have the bite that they used to have. I might have glazed the pads at some point. Time to take everything off and inspect. I think a backing plate may be warped too because I'm getting a slight metallic rubbing sound.
Old 9/6/14, 07:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

My brakes have been feeling a little lacking lately for some reason. They don't have the bite that they used to have. I might have glazed the pads at some point. Time to take everything off and inspect. I think a backing plate may be warped too because I'm getting a slight metallic rubbing sound.
Rubbing sound from the front or rear? The rear pads have the little spring pieces which will rub the rotor when the pads get real low.

Quick Reply: Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang