Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Panhard Bar Question - Steel vs Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/13, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Panhard Bar Question - Steel vs Aluminum

Can someone share the pro's/con's of one versus the other along with what you are running (your recommendation)? Thanks.
Old 8/22/13, 05:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whiteline is what I would recommend. Not sure if they are steel or aluminum, but I would think the only difference would be that aluminum is lighter. Unless you are doing some serious off or dedicated tracking I wouldn't think you could break either.
Old 8/22/13, 06:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Steeda's panhard rod features 4130 chrome moly alloy steel construction, not just ordinary mild steel like the factory piece and other aftermarket offerings.

Benefits include length adjustment to adjust rear end offset and urethane bushings for reduced flex.

What kind of driving do you do?

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 8/22/13, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Steeda's panhard rod features 4130 chrome moly alloy steel construction, not just ordinary mild steel like the factory piece and other aftermarket offerings.

Benefits include length adjustment to adjust rear end offset and urethane bushings for reduced flex.

What kind of driving do you do?

Best Regards,

TJ
Since he pointed out the pros and cons you should get the steeda one.
Old 8/22/13, 06:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Thamac15
Since he pointed out the pros and cons you should get the steeda one.
Booo on that idea, IMO.
Old 8/22/13, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302

Booo on that idea, IMO.
I was being sarcastic. He didnt mention any pro/con between the two.
Old 8/22/13, 10:56 PM
GTR Member

The panhard is such a simple device that unless you are doing a lot of racing you may as well buy the least expensive decent made part. American muscle has both the aluminum and steel J&M units for $115 minus the forum discount. The steel version is easier to adjust since you only have to work from one end of it. The aluminum version, you have to loosen the adjusting stop nuts on each end of the bar to adjust it.

Buy what you wish but they all do the same job basically.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 8/22/13 at 11:19 PM.
Old 8/22/13, 11:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Been a number of failures with the aluminum PHB's, which is the reason I have not installed mine, and instead posted it for sale. You want quality? Go with BMR
Old 8/23/13, 07:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I went with BMR, love it
Old 8/23/13, 01:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Thamac15
I was being sarcastic. He didnt mention any pro/con between the two.
See now that makes much more sense.
Old 8/23/13, 07:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I won't comment on the competition ... but you can check this video out and see what we have to offer. Obviously we feel our unit is superior over the competition ... Steeda has been in the suspension game for over 20 years.

Old 8/24/13, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was a player before they invented the game.
Old 8/24/13, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor

I personally like BMR and Whiteline. Both are easily adjustable on the car and use poly bushings that are quiet unlike some of their competition.

Adjustable PHB's really don't off performance gain other than being lighter and a bit stiffer. My opinion is to stick with an on-car adjustable like the ones I mentioned. A plus is their customer service as well, I have never heard of any complaints either. have plenty of both in stock
Old 8/27/13, 09:13 PM
Bullitt Member

http://www.kennybrown.com/videos/par...le-panhard-bar

This vid gives a good explanation of the KB kit, which I now have. I have also had good experience with Whiteline and BMR products, never used Steeda but being from the Sebring area, I have nothing but good things to say about them, too!

Chrome moly steel is the lightest/strongest combination, that's my pick as far as materials. The Steeda and Whiteline bars are both chrome moly, not sure about the BMR.

I think the better questions for a panhard bar are going to be:

1. What kind of adjustability do you want, and how does the adjustability work? On car is always nice, and I think Steeda has the best design as far as that goes. Whiteline is also nice but not as nice, and the BMR single adjustable is the worst design IMO.

2. What kind of endlinks do you want? Poly ends will be a good balance of performance and noise for the street, nice rod ends will be better if you plan on tracking the car, but will wear out in daily use and are noisy.

I love the Steeda bar for street use for those reasons. I love my Kenny Brown bar for track use.
Old 8/28/13, 09:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by zbrewha863
http://www.kennybrown.com/videos/par...le-panhard-bar

This vid gives a good explanation of the KB kit, which I now have. I have also had good experience with Whiteline and BMR products, never used Steeda but being from the Sebring area, I have nothing but good things to say about them, too!

Chrome moly steel is the lightest/strongest combination, that's my pick as far as materials. The Steeda and Whiteline bars are both chrome moly, not sure about the BMR.

I think the better questions for a panhard bar are going to be:

1. What kind of adjustability do you want, and how does the adjustability work? On car is always nice, and I think Steeda has the best design as far as that goes. Whiteline is also nice but not as nice, and the BMR single adjustable is the worst design IMO.

2. What kind of endlinks do you want? Poly ends will be a good balance of performance and noise for the street, nice rod ends will be better if you plan on tracking the car, but will wear out in daily use and are noisy.

I love the Steeda bar for street use for those reasons. I love my Kenny Brown bar for track use.
Don't forget that the Kenny Brown solution also has his roll center relocation which is good if a car is going to be lowered at some point.
Old 8/28/13, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would rather just get a Watts link from white line.
Old 8/28/13, 05:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by theACE
I would rather just get a Watts link from white line.
You mean Brand X, ha! Had to do it since Steeda has been in on this thread, that would make a ton more sense for the long run.
Old 8/28/13, 06:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Lol ... not sure what you are referring to.

TJ
Old 8/28/13, 09:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Lol ... not sure what you are referring to.

TJ
Ugh, the whole "We are Steeda and this (Whiteline) is Brand X and we are better then them with our Watts, yadda yadda." When Whiteline uses the same design as Griggs whom Steeda has yet to say they are better then.
Old 8/29/13, 09:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

We think all of our parts are better than the competition ... why would we be in business if we did not have that feeling?

From our engineering to our testing ... we have put in a lot of time and made a large investment in making the best products that we can make, and we will continue to push these products to the limits to keep improving them. Might I add, we have done this by keeping all of our manufacturing facilities in the U.S. and not "lowering our quality" by saving a buck and outsourcing.

If companies didn't push each other to keep improving and adapting, then the consumer would ultimately lose.

If this type of advertising is not your thing, then I understand, but we choose to educate the consumer with our articles.

In the end ... if the consumer does not want to purchase from us, then that is their choice and that is what makes America a great country - the freedom for the consumer to choose.

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 8/29/13 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Panhard Bar Question - Steel vs Aluminum