Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Noisy Front Suspension with Snow Tires on

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/11, 09:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Noisy Front Suspension with Snow Tires on

Hey guys - I've only had my snow tires on for a couple weeks and this is my first time with 'em, so bear with me if I should know this but...

With the snow tires on, the suspension really creaks a lot under moderate to hard braking pressure from maybe 15 MPH down to full stop. It sounds like it's coming from the front only, but I could be wrong. A couple other notes:
  • Tires/wheels are Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 and Ford Racing '07 GT-500 look wheels, both the factory 18" size
  • Lugs were torqued to 100 lb/ft and have been checked repeatedly since installation
  • Tires are at 32 PSI
  • Temperature has ranged from 25-55 since I've installed them and the noise has happened throughout that range
  • Car has 19,000 miles on it and has about 8,000 miles on the current alignment.
  • Car is bone stock other than the wheels/tires.
Hope somebody has some brilliance! Thanks in advance.
Old 12/6/11, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a TSB out for clunky control arms sounds like that may be what your issue is. Do a search for info or take it in to the dealer to see what they say.
Old 12/6/11, 02:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 99mstng
There is a TSB out for clunky control arms sounds like that may be what your issue is. Do a search for info or take it in to the dealer to see what they say.
Thanks - I'd thought about that but can't figure out why the snow tires would make the noise suddenly happen. Unless it was more due to the temperature, not the tires.
Old 12/7/11, 11:21 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Hey guys - I've only had my snow tires on for a couple weeks and this is my first time with 'em, so bear with me if I should know this but...
With the snow tires on, the suspension really creaks a lot under moderate to hard braking pressure from maybe 15 MPH down to full stop. It sounds like it's coming from the front only, but I could be wrong.
Thanks - I'd thought about that but can't figure out why the snow tires would make the noise suddenly happen. Unless it was more due to the temperature, not the tires.
Definitely have your Ford dealer look at this, kylerohde! If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Old 12/7/11, 11:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Definitely have your Ford dealer look at this, kylerohde! If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Will do, thanks Deysha!
Old 12/8/11, 11:20 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Will do, thanks Deysha!
Awesome! I'll keep a look out for your PM, kylerohde.

Deysha