Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

New suspension, new noises?

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/12, 07:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New suspension, new noises?

Hey all,

So I had a shop install all the suspension parts listed in my signature a few days ago but I am getting some weird noises. I expect the car to be louder being that it is closer to the ground. But this is like a clanking over bumps and a similar sound when starting from a stop or braking. Before I take it in on Monday do I just need to give it time to break in or are these as I think not normal sounds.

I knew I had to wait about 50 miles or so for an alignment but didn't expect sounds, any info is appreciated as I know little to nothing about suspensions.
Old 9/8/12, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Usually the noise is from the top mount being worn out on the strut, however it could also be from loose bolts. The easiest to is to check under the hood for the 3 bolts commectimg the struts on each side. Then I'd check the sway bar mounts, and then the bottom 2 bolts that connect the strut to the spindle. That would cover all of the bolts that was needed to install the struts. If those are all tight then it would be your top strut mount that can be purchased through the dealer or even rockauto
Old 9/8/12, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a similar sound which i found to be my phb. I just tightened it down and put a lil more grease in it and the noise went away.

Why wait 50mi for an alignment? I got mine done asap with no problems
Old 9/8/12, 08:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Exactly^ and marine grease.
Old 9/8/12, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a popping/clanky noise over bumps after my suspension too..too busy to get it checked now hope it's just something loose or in need of grease.
Old 9/9/12, 12:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree, check the PHB and use LocTite.
Old 9/15/12, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

now this is interesting.

I had a suspension noise a few weeks after I got my 2013, with no mods.
As time went on it kept getting loader.
At first it was just some creeking type noises, but they developed to thudding.

So took it to the dealer and they told me the suspension bolts were loose and had to be tighted on the front drivers side.
Didn't get a chance to talk to the guy who worked on it, so not exactly sure which ones he had to tighten.

Seems its not only me....I smell a recall coming on???

The noise has gone away for the most part, but now I'm starting to hear it again, very faintly.

Makes me wonder if they really need to get locktite

Anyway...I'll be taking my car back to the dealer soon to see if there is anything else going on.
Old 10/6/12, 05:42 PM
V6 Member

Update:

I put it on a lift and checked everything, it was all greased and tightened. Took it back to the guy who put it on, he heard the sound, had the car for a week and couldn't figure it out. He thinks it is the sway-bar links from the sound, but no matter how much he drove it, then threw it on the lift nothing would move.

The sound doesn't happen if the car has been sitting for a couple of days till after 20 or so miles. I put 100 miles on it yesterday, by that point the sound had escalated to a double pop (like something bouncing back and forth in a joint) to not only doing it on acceleration and down shifting but any bump I hit.

Anyone got a good suspension shop in LA? I am gonna drive down there Monday and have someone look at it there, I have used the best mechanic up here in LAncaster/Palmdale from everything I can figure.
Old 10/12/12, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LostGeographer
Update:

I put it on a lift and checked everything, it was all greased and tightened. Took it back to the guy who put it on, he heard the sound, had the car for a week and couldn't figure it out. He thinks it is the sway-bar links from the sound, but no matter how much he drove it, then threw it on the lift nothing would move.

The sound doesn't happen if the car has been sitting for a couple of days till after 20 or so miles. I put 100 miles on it yesterday, by that point the sound had escalated to a double pop (like something bouncing back and forth in a joint) to not only doing it on acceleration and down shifting but any bump I hit.

Anyone got a good suspension shop in LA? I am gonna drive down there Monday and have someone look at it there, I have used the best mechanic up here in LAncaster/Palmdale from everything I can figure.
Check to see if he put the spring isolators on the bottom of the front spring where it contacts the strut. If there is no isolator than that is part of the problem. A few of the rear suspension parts should be torqued only with the suspension loaded, so basically with the car sitting at ride height. They are the rear lower bolt on the shock, rear lower control arm, and sway bar. You can do this two ways, on a drive up lift or the way I did it. With the car on the ground mark with a grease pencil where the rear dust boot ends on the rear shock. Now jack the car up and place on jack stands. Now jack the axel up from the diff housing, jack it up until the dust boot meets the grease mark. The suspension is now loaded as it would be on the street.