Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Koni's on the way

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/14, 10:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Koni's on the way

Found a set of lightly used STR.T's for cheap, couldn't pass on the deal. Worst case I get 2 seasons out of them and upgrade. Wouldn't feel bad at all. Going to pair with the set of SR springs I got from AM's Black Friday deal. Setup will do the trick for a while I think. Might even have everything installed by the time I get out to the track again in May...

Planning to do the install with a friend, will be pre-assembling the shocks/springs with GT500 mounts for what hopefully is an easy install.

Obviously will be posting pictures once everything is in
Old 4/15/14, 11:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
cool always good to save a few bucks on parts. Figure about 3 hours if your doing this for the first time
Old 4/15/14, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
Found a set of lightly used STR.T's for cheap, couldn't pass on the deal. Worst case I get 2 seasons out of them and upgrade. Wouldn't feel bad at all. Going to pair with the set of SR springs I got from AM's Black Friday deal. Setup will do the trick for a while I think. Might even have everything installed by the time I get out to the track again in May...

Planning to do the install with a friend, will be pre-assembling the shocks/springs with GT500 mounts for what hopefully is an easy install.

Obviously will be posting pictures once everything is in
Good stuff man! The Koni STR.T's are one of the best budget dampeners I've seen to date. It's hard to beat their performance for less. I definitely think you'll be happy with the combo of SR springs too.

Do you always hit a road coarse track or do you sometimes autocross? I'm excited to hear your feedback come May!

Shane
Old 4/15/14, 06:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
Good stuff man! The Koni STR.T's are one of the best budget dampeners I've seen to date. It's hard to beat their performance for less. I definitely think you'll be happy with the combo of SR springs too.

Do you always hit a road coarse track or do you sometimes autocross? I'm excited to hear your feedback come May!

Shane
For a budget setup it should be fine. I expect much better than stock. Last time out I felt I was driving at about the limit of the stock suspension. Before doing semi slicks the car needs a tighter more responsive setup.

I do just the road courses as there are a couple nearby and I love the speed. Will bring the mustang out for auto x at some point I'm sure tho
Old 4/16/14, 06:02 AM
V6 Member

STR.Ts and P Springs here.

Good combo.
Old 4/16/14, 10:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Stocktastic
STR.Ts and P Springs here.

Good combo.
Good to hear! It appeared to me from the Koni site the STRs are along the lines of the soft to mid setting of the yellows... Thinking that will be fine with the SR springs for a while. Really excited to install!!
Old 4/16/14, 12:25 PM
Former Vendor

For a budget setup it should be fine. I expect much better than stock. Last time out I felt I was driving at about the limit of the stock suspension. Before doing semi slicks the car needs a tighter more responsive setup.

I do just the road courses as there are a couple nearby and I love the speed. Will bring the mustang out for auto x at some point I'm sure tho
As you should! This combo blows the stock suspension away. It's honestly not even comparable, which is pretty wild for how little is actually modified.

Road races look like a ton of fun. I don't have any really near by my home. I've always setup my cars for drag racing because of that reason. The drag strip is about 40mins for me.

You'll definitely have to let me know what you think when the time comes!

Shane
Old 4/16/14, 01:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

As you should! This combo blows the stock suspension away. It's honestly not even comparable, which is pretty wild for how little is actually modified.

Road races look like a ton of fun. I don't have any really near by my home. I've always setup my cars for drag racing because of that reason. The drag strip is about 40mins for me.

You'll definitely have to let me know what you think when the time comes!

Shane
The road racing is a blast. Shameless post of my " intermediate level " driving below

Last edited by dmichaels; 4/16/14 at 01:29 PM.
Old 4/16/14, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm running STR.T's with BMR springs and it handles MUCH better than stock V6 suspension. It feels like it will just never lose grip.

Good find man, you'll enjoy it.
Old 4/16/14, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

The road racing is a blast. Shameless post of my " intermediate level " driving below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLvc69pgqN4
Very cool. There is one road course about an hour away. I've never gone but there is a driving school out there on one weekend every summer, and it's one of the things I have wanted to do for a long time, and would like to do with my Mustang when I get it.

I did autocross a few years ago for a couple seasons. REALLY enjoyed it, even though it was a base model Subaru Impreza wagon with OEM all seasons. I wasn't competitive, but I did have a great time. Getting narrowly missed by a guy that lost control of a Ford GT mid-slalom? That part wasn't so much fun.
Old 4/17/14, 02:00 PM
Former Vendor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLvc69pgqN4
Very cool! Night bad driving either man. It looks like a blast, I gotta try this sometime soon.

What program did you use to monitor your OBDII parameters and display them onto the video? I've seen this a few times before, but never really looked into it. It would be a pretty cool thing to have on a drag strip video too. Especially because it's hard for the view to see exactly how hard you're accelerating and at what speed.

Shane
Old 4/17/14, 05:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Very cool! Night bad driving either man. It looks like a blast, I gotta try this sometime soon.

What program did you use to monitor your OBDII parameters and display them onto the video? I've seen this a few times before, but never really looked into it. It would be a pretty cool thing to have on a drag strip video too. Especially because it's hard for the view to see exactly how hard you're accelerating and at what speed.

Shane
I use my iphone with the Harry's Lap Timer Pro app. For the linkage with the OBDII, I use the GoPoint BT1 bluetooth OBDII plug in. Syncs right up with Harry's Lap Timer and the video overlay is pretty impressive for a fairly cheap setup!

Would be great to see some drag strip video footage captured with this or something similar... see how hard the car launches and such!

Hope you get out to a road course sometime, it's a blast. Where are you guys located??
Old 4/17/14, 08:06 PM
GT Member

I'm running the SR springs and Koni STR-T's on my GT along with the rest of the rear suspension is aftermarket and I love the way the handles now compared to stock. I'm sure you'll be more then happy with the end results. Check
My sig for the mods I have done to the suspension.

Lee
Old 4/18/14, 04:23 AM
Bullitt Member

BMR Springs with Koni STR-Ts here. Like the ride
Old 4/18/14, 04:53 AM

Just joined TMS and wanted some advise. I am upgrading my shocks on my stock 97 GT. My mechanic is pushing Tokico shocks. I prefer Koni but they are out of stock. Should I go Tokico?
Old 4/18/14, 12:58 PM
Former Vendor

I use my iphone with the Harry's Lap Timer Pro app. For the linkage with the OBDII, I use the GoPoint BT1 bluetooth OBDII plug in. Syncs right up with Harry's Lap Timer and the video overlay is pretty impressive for a fairly cheap setup!

Would be great to see some drag strip video footage captured with this or something similar... see how hard the car launches and such!

Hope you get out to a road course sometime, it's a blast. Where are you guys located??
Okay cool! I'll have to check that out. Definitely something I think AM could use for video. Plus, I could use it for my own personal car haha.

We're located in Malvern, PA. However, I'm personally located about 40mins south east of Malvern, so Atco Raceway and Cecil County drag strips are very close to me.

I'll definitely give some road course a shot one day soon. Definitely looks like fun!

Shane

Originally Posted by marinos
Just joined TMS and wanted some advise. I am upgrading my shocks on my stock 97 GT. My mechanic is pushing Tokico shocks. I prefer Koni but they are out of stock. Should I go Tokico?
Both companies make quality struts/shocks. Koni is just my personal favorite, but I think you'll like Tokico too. I did check on the Koni front struts for 94-04 GT's and they'll be out of stock until mid July, unfortunately.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions or concerns!

Shane
Old 4/18/14, 02:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Didn't realize AM is so close to my Inlaws in Lansdale, PA... Maybe I'll stop in sometime when I'm down that way. Try getting to the pocono road course sometime!