Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Koni sport, Steeda Sport springs and Steeda Strut bar review/install instruction

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/13, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni sport, Steeda Sport springs and Steeda Strut bar review/install instruction

Hey guys,

Just a quick post to give you my experience with theses mods. After looking around, I finally decided to upgrade my suspension. I originally had a stock 5.0 GT 2013 (Canadian version, base model, no strut bar, still on the 18" stock tires).

I spoke with Sam Strano and after discussing my needs (spirited corner carving up north during the weekend, daily city driver for the rest), I bought :

Steeda Mustang Double Bar Strut Tower Brace (555-5729)
Steeda 2011+ HD Strut Mounts/Camber plate (555-8135)
and Sam Strano's Handling Package 3 :
Koni Sport & Steeda Sport springs (1" drop).

I first installed the Strut Tower Brace by itself (the install is trivial, took 5 min tops). I wanted to see if I'd notice the difference and I did. I'd say the body roll was different. Instead of moving the entire frame of the car in the corners, I felt like I was moving the front of the car into the curbs and the rest would follow. By itself, I'm not sure I liked the feeling but it was more stable and I felt more in control in the curves.

Now, for the three other part. Sam recommended the HD Strut mount to replace the cheap original one and to adjust the camber, the difference between the two part is HUGE!

Then the Koni/Steeda spring is just simply an awesome combo, 1" drop and adjustable shock.

The install took me almost 5 hours from start to finish (while having some beer). I'd say the install was easy, the toughest part was to assemble the two front shocks, but once I figured out how to do it without splitting the HD mount, it was really easy.

I followed this (http://www.saleeninstructions.com/docs/Install%20Manual/Data/Suspension/10-8002-C11790A.pdf) guide and it was pretty straight forward.

Initially, I wasn't sure what to do with the bump stop (order new one or ?) but the guide explained it, you just cut the stock one to remove an inch, really easy to do and it just works great.

After making the initial road test to see if I messed something up , I got the car aligned with -1.45 camber on the front wheel and went for a drive. Amazing . With an initial setup of 1.5 turn up front, 1.0 turn in the back, the car feel like scalpel. It just carves the corners and it's really easy to drive, a lot more predictable.

There's almost no nose dive left, the ride is bit stiffer (not by much) but it's actually a better ride (even in our ****ty quebec/canadians roads). It's stiffer but somehow, it doesn't hurt my back as much since the bumps are *absorbed* better. As for the massive body roll? Gone. I'd say there's also a ~70% reduction of the wheel hop I previously encountered (no UCA/LCA modifs). I initially thought I'd get them but I don't feel the need at the moment. I'll see if I change my mind when I visit the drag strip.

Overall, an amazing mods and I recommend it to everyone. A friend of mine did the same mods on his car (another 2013 GT CS) and he totally agree with me. Actually, I honestly believe the car should have been sold with this suspension setup, it totally change it and make it feel like an amazing sport car.

Final note: Since it fix mostly all the issues with the car suspension, the only thing left to work around is the rear live axle. I wouldn't say you feel it more, but it's the only thing left I can complain about. Well, actually, I forgot about the ****ty OEM tire, yeah... But I'll try to fix that soon

Last edited by eusor; 7/14/13 at 01:45 PM.
Old 7/14/13, 01:47 PM
Cobra Member

Nice write up & review. Good to see the setup meet your needs as l will be purchasing a similar setup in the next couple weeks.
Koni Str.T (yellows are overkill for my use)
Steeda Sports
GT500 mounts
Steeda sway bar kit
Old 7/14/13, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good write up! Many of our customers including ourselves have found the koni yellows to be a guge improvement while being able to pair up nicely with just about any set of springs. Steeda is by far the most popular combo and after driving on the set we understood why. Anthony when you're ready to pull the trigger give us a shout, we will most surely take care of ya!!
Old 7/14/13, 02:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Good write up! Many of our customers including ourselves have found the koni yellows to be a guge improvement while being able to pair up nicely with just about any set of springs. Steeda is by far the most popular combo and after driving on the set we understood why. Anthony when you're ready to pull the trigger give us a shout, we will most surely take care of ya!!
Word!
Old 7/14/13, 06:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Very good write up and we appreciate your support & business.

That is truly a great combination and we sell a lot of those combinations listed above.

Keep up the reviews!

Best Regards,

TJ