Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Issue with Steeda X11 balljoints / SLA Boss Comp LCA's

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/13, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Issue with Steeda X11 balljoints / SLA Boss Comp LCA's

I have a koni strut coming out for replacement, and while I was inspecting the suspension before disassembly, I found a lot of play in the tire while in the air. I was able to move it laterally about 1/4", and I could see the strut move relative with the wheel. I did some poking around and enlisted some help and could see that the ball joint seemed to have some play in it, on both my arms.

They were purchased in June, installed in July and have logged about 4500 miles (spent most of their time in a paint shop, long story). They were greased on install long with the bushings (they have a zerk on the bottom).

I called Steeda for support, they recommended regreasing them. I've done so and the play has tightened up some (to the point where play in the wheel can be felt, but its much more dampened and more like 1/32"), but my concern is that this is excessive, and that from the factory, the tolerance was much more tight (0-0.3 mm (0-0.012 in) per the service manual). Steering did clean up a bit, but now I'm curious how often they'd require regreasing, and how long until the grease is just pushed out letting the void/tolerance just open back up.

Steeda will take the arms in for inspection (I don't have any stockers) or I can buy another set, but I wanted to get some opinions before I move forward. I'm concerned that with just street use, this could be an issue with those balljoints, and they're not a fun part to replace (removing the rack is a huge PITA to get at the front LCA bolt). I have zero track miles on them, and I bought these arms for that specific purpose.

Also, are the balljoints serviceable as in can they be pressed out and replaced should I want to source a different brand? I wouldn't be as concerned if this was just one side, but being both isn't a good sign.
Old 12/6/13, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Video as requested:

From the front of the wheel:
(hard to see, but the strut body rotates with the wheel, indicative of something other than the wheel bearings)

It looks like the arm and tie rod pivot a bit, but I think that's due to the change of the relationship to the spindle.

This is after "regreasing them". Will take the spindle off the balljoint and manually check it for play this weekend.
Old 12/6/13, 12:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good thing you went with Steeda and not "Brand X" but in all seriousness that doesn't look to good.
Old 12/6/13, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Steeda is sending a pair of X11 balljoints for me to replace in the existing arms, I'll update on the result.

i'm also looking in the howe direction
Old 12/6/13, 05:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X11s are on my list, sub for more info
Old 12/7/13, 08:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
Steeda is sending a pair of X11 balljoints for me to replace in the existing arms, I'll update on the result.

i'm also looking in the howe direction
I guess then my question is, are the X11 ball joints a spec name or specific to something Steeda makes. I wouldn't see the point of having them replaced and then crapping out again.
Old 12/7/13, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I'd be hesitant if they didn't ask for the old ones back for investigation. I'm going to install their set, and if this doesn't work out after a few thousand street miles, I'll just spend the money for some howe's thread-in and be done with it.
Old 12/11/13, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

To what degree of bad idea is this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-jo...cles-4065.html

Old 12/12/13, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

the new joints are in, the tool made it easy. 2.5 hour job with breaks for beer, posting useless stuff on facebook, etc.

The new ones were greased, however I gave them a few pumps after install to be safe. the driver's was more loose than the passenger, but when you put the old joints in a vise and check for play, you don't find a whole lot. Not sure what the issue is with these, but my wheels definitely don't move now.

We will see what Steeda finds (thanks again for the great support), and how these fare after a couple months.
Old 12/13/13, 07:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Glad they replaced them, I had thought about these after lowering the car to correct the front end geometry, makes me rethink since my car is my DD. Don't really have the luxury of having it in operable for very long.
Old 12/19/13, 12:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I had a stock ball joint shaft shear off while Auto-Xing my Boss couple summers ago. Granted I was running most stock suspension with supper sticky 315/35/18 Khumo DOT racing rubber at the time...and a 20mm spacer for clearance.(I don't recommend that spacer BTW)

However since getting the right suspension and eliminating the spacer. I keep a close watch and have still found replacement ball joints to develop play after several events. I have since decided that these are a short life wear and tear item if you rigorously corner the Mustang.

Not sure this is the use case for you, but I am not shocked to hear about your issues. Hopefully those Steeda X11's work out better.
Old 2/21/14, 12:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well back to square one. The play is back in the replacement set. These I had greased on install, before a track event and right after. They made 1000ish street miles and one track event.

Frustrating as the play results in sloppy steering and a "tram lining " effect as the tires can move on their own.
Old 2/21/14, 11:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
Well back to square one. The play is back in the replacement set. These I had greased on install, before a track event and right after. They made 1000ish street miles and one track event.

Frustrating as the play results in sloppy steering and a "tram lining " effect as the tires can move on their own.
What ball joints are you going to use instead?
Old 2/22/14, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Interesting ... I just let our internal team know of your experience the 2nd time around.

We will be in touch.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 2/23/14, 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I appreciate it. I talked to Don and he mentioned a follow up call on Tuesday.

I'm very curious if the load stress from the increased height prematurely wears out the coatings between the ball and socket. Still very odd to wear so very quickly.

I've ripped the front end apart to try to find anything else that could contribute, also put in fresh wheel hubs but nothing conclusive.
Old 3/18/15, 05:09 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just installed x11's and straight from the factory there is play. Steeda is sending a new pair out but now I'm skeptical of the quality of these parts.

Anyone have anything else to contribute?
Old 3/19/15, 06:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hello Brandon,

Can you please send me your contact info to tim@steeda.com? I want to ensure you are take care of.

Being your first post & signing up yesterday ... I want to provide you with the full support that is needed in case this is an erroneous avatar.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/19/15, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Hello Brandon,

Can you please send me your contact info to tim@steeda.com? I want to ensure you are take care of.

Being your first post & signing up yesterday ... I want to provide you with the full support that is needed in case this is an erroneous avatar.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

TJ
This is not an erroneous post, TJ. The original order number was P03716840001. Matt is already working the solution but please feel free to assist.
Old 3/19/15, 07:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thank you, Brandon. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I will work with Matt to ensure your order is taken care of & what may have happened with the x11s.

We will be in contact.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/24/15, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Thank you, Brandon. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I will work with Matt to ensure your order is taken care of & what may have happened with the x11s.

We will be in contact.

Best Regards,

TJ
I just sent Matt the pictures. Here's some more info:

I got the car home from the alignment shop which showed me the loose ball joints and put some more grease in them after reading this thread. The looseness is all but gone now. However, after talking to TWO different mechanics they assured me that although the grease might've tightened it up visually in the air it will not affect or, rather CORRECT the issue with the car on the ground.

I really hope this gets resolved.

Quick Reply: Issue with Steeda X11 balljoints / SLA Boss Comp LCA's