Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Ford Racing M-FR3-MV6A Handling Pack and the Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/13, 01:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Racing M-FR3-MV6A Handling Pack and the Daily Driver

As you've probably seen in my previous post I purchased a '14 Mustang V6 Auto Premium Coupe with the Pony Package. Before I took delivery of the car, the dealer installed the Ford Racing M-FR3-MV6A Handling Pack.

For those that aren't familiar, the M-FR3-MV6A consists of the following...
  • Front Struts
  • Rear Shocks
  • Lowering Springs with jounce stops
  • Front Sway Bar with bushings
  • Rear Sway Bar with bushings
  • Strut Tower Brace
  • Front Strut Mount Upgrade (GT 500)

In addition to all the package components, I also had them install the FRPP PHB and Eibach Camber Bolts. I was surprised that these items weren't included in the original package because my Ford tech said there definitely was a small shift to the rear axle alignment. The PHB brought it back inline. I confirmed that with the plumb bob test when I got it home. The technician also was happy I got him the camber bolts. They gave him that extra 1/2 a degree to get the front camber adjustment back in spec.

Though I may look like a guy that should be hanging around a Buick dealer, I've been driving leased sport sedans and a roadster for the past 12 years. I went from an A4, to a BMW 330xi, to an Audi TT Roadster, to a VW GLI then finally to a VW CC Sport R-Line. I cannot stand excessive wheel gap, rolly cornering or excessive float. That's why all my recent cars had at least a bit more suspension finesse than your typical Camry (or LeSabre ).

Since Mustang lease residuals suck in my area, I decided to purchase my car and modify it exactly the way I want it. This coupe will probably never see a autocross course or racetrack. This is my daily, all weather driver. All season Pirelli P-Zeros on 18s during the summer and dedicate snows Michilen X-Ice 3's on 17s for the winter. 60% of the miles that it will see over the next 3 years will be on city streets and boulevards. As for the rest, 20% will be a mixture curvy country roads and 20% expressway. Kinda foolish on my part but I just spent a bunch of money to set the car up for 20% of the miles I drive. WTF. I'm worth it.

I just picked her up yesterday, so here are my initial impressions.

Though I never saw my car before I took delivery, they had a twin brother of it on the showroom floor. The wheel gap on that one was shocking. 4x4 look is an apt description. When I finally saw my car for the first time I was floored. It sat perfectly on its suspension. I've read how others were disappointed with the drop of their "sport" setups. I couldn't be more pleased. Not slammed, but perfectly balanced like a E46 BMW 330i. To me that car is the poster child for proper wheel/tire gap. I'll post pictures soon.

My first drive took a little perspective readjustment. My CC R-Line was a very good handling and comfortable car. It rolled a little but handled my extended length, reducing radius off ramp near my home with accuracy and dexterity. I expected the Mustang to be firmer and it was, but it was not excessively so. Braking or cornering through that ramp was amazing! There is absolutely no dive or roll. I felt I could roll the tires off the rims before the hood would pitch . Understeer was remarkably absent. The more I turned, the deeper into the corner it went. The rear end stayed put, too.

I have only one minor complaint with the over all suspension compliance. It is when I'm driving 35 to 45 mph on a concrete boulevards. You can feel your head rock front to back as the wheels perfectly follow the roads contours between the joints. Like a turntable tone arm following a warped record. You don't feel the jounce of the joints, the dampers handle those nicely, just the undulations between them. You can actually watch the horizon the headlights create rise and fall on the road signs as you drive down the road. Small price to pay for the way this car corners IMO.

Like I said. I'll post pictures shortly but so far, with 150 miles under my belt, The $1500+ in parts an $750 in labor has been well, well worth it so far .

Last edited by ustabawannab; 9/10/13 at 01:19 PM.
Old 9/16/13, 09:50 AM
GT Member

Before

After

Note the FRPP Sport axle backs

Last edited by ustabawannab; 9/16/13 at 12:37 PM.
Old 9/16/13, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Just wanted to say thanks. I am trying to decide what to do with my suspention and it helps to hear feedback on the V6.

Matthew
Old 9/16/13, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

do you know how much that package you got lowered the car? I plan on getting the eibach pro kit for my car, and im wondering what it'll look like afterwards
Old 9/16/13, 12:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by roadrunner
do you know how much that package you got lowered the car? I plan on getting the eibach pro kit for my car, and im wondering what it'll look like afterwards
About a inch in front and a little more in the back. I uploaded some before pics of its twin on the showroom floor.

Last edited by ustabawannab; 9/16/13 at 12:35 PM.