Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Creaking from rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/12, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
So I was planning on swapping the rod ends this weekend but I may just put the Panhard bar back on as I am 99% sure I'm selling the car. :|
Thats a shame. Are you selling the watts? If so pm me a price shipped to 11375.... Depending on price I may be able to swing it.
Old 6/29/12, 04:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to buy a house so I need to downsize temporarily. I've had the Mustang long enough so if I do decide to sell one of them the S gets to stay. I've got some local friends that have dibs on certain parts but if I do part out and they don't pick anything up I'll let you guys know in this thread first.

I'm still not 100% set on selling it. We'll see.
Old 7/1/12, 10:21 AM
Cobra Member

OK...

Problem solved. It wasn't the rod-ends. Well, one may have contributed, bit it wasn't the primary cause. The propeller bolt had worked itself just loose enough to lead to all the clanking. I finally got to get under the car this morning and when I went to grab one of the bars the whole thing moved.

So, I removed the propeller, cleaned everything, inspected the bolt (it's not bent) and reinstalled, with thread lock, to 100 lb-ft as specified.

I did replace the passenger side outside rod-end as it felt like it was on its way out. The others were fine.

One thing to note is that the boots that I bought do not work with this setup. They get caught and bind up, then tear, negating the whole purpose of a boot. The seals, however, work perfectly on the outside rod-ends.

On the propeller end nothing but those O-rings fit, which is fine, because those rod-ends were in perfect condition.

Needless to say I'm glad I parked the car until I could get under there to figure out what was going on.

Also, don't think I can sell it. It's too much fun.
Old 7/1/12, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

OK...

Problem solved. It wasn't the rod-ends. Well, one may have contributed, bit it wasn't the primary cause. The propeller bolt had worked itself just loose enough to lead to all the clanking. I finally got to get under the car this morning and when I went to grab one of the bars the whole thing moved.

So, I removed the propeller, cleaned everything, inspected the bolt (it's not bent) and reinstalled, with thread lock, to 100 lb-ft as specified.

I did replace the passenger side outside rod-end as it felt like it was on its way out. The others were fine.

One thing to note is that the boots that I bought do not work with this setup. They get caught and bind up, then tear, negating the whole purpose of a boot. The seals, however, work perfectly on the outside rod-ends.

On the propeller end nothing but those O-rings fit, which is fine, because those rod-ends were in perfect condition.

Needless to say I'm glad I parked the car until I could get under there to figure out what was going on.

Also, don't think I can sell it. It's too much fun.
Score! Glad it's fixed and you are keeping the car!
Old 7/1/12, 07:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
Score! Glad it's fixed and you are keeping the car!
Yup, the bad part is that while I was thinking about selling it I came up with $5k in mods I wanted for the S2K to DD it (two sets of wheels, hard top, suspension, etc).

Well I'm keeping both cars but I still want the mods.
Old 7/1/12, 07:43 PM
Cobra Member

Also worth noting, I'm going to make sure I get under the car to check the torque on everything at least once a month now. If everything seems like it is holding up fine I'll check at every oil change. I definitely don't want that propeller bolt backing out or sheering off mid-corner!
Old 7/13/12, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

So, after ~2 weeks it is making noises again. Slight noise but it's most definitely from the propeller. I need to check it tomorrow and see if that's it. Going to give it one more chance using more loctite this time. If it doesn't give me problem-free operation for an oil change interval then I'm going back to the panhard bar setup.
Old 7/13/12, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Hmm mine has only been on just over a month. Still really quiet. Need to adjust it a little tho
Old 7/27/12, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, after ~2 weeks it is making noises again. Slight noise but it's most definitely from the propeller. I need to check it tomorrow and see if that's it. Going to give it one more chance using more loctite this time. If it doesn't give me problem-free operation for an oil change interval then I'm going back to the panhard bar setup.
I had that happen to me twice, once when my dads firend did the install and bodched it up. The second time when I redid the install completly and only tightened it to 80lb or so and forgot locktight.

My solution as to get a soft and thick washer from home depot. I then bored the washer with my dremel and sanding disk to get a perfect fit. Then I tightened it with a torque wrench to 120lb while using blue gell locktight. The softer metal washer compresses some acting as a spring. It was all gravy after that. Never loosened again. 2+ years. At this point I wish I had removed the **** thing from my old car to put into my new car. As for the bolt walking out and shearing, I doubt it would ever just shear.

I bet you the inner bearings are worn though. They wear pretty evenly when not lubricated, the bearings have to basicaly be watch tight or else your going to hear things. Pack it with lithium grease bro. Then once asembled cover them in lithium grease. That stuff dries on the outside keeping the nastines out. Also double check your arm alignment in x,y, and z axis. You want it to have the freedom to move but evenly distribute the forces.
Old 7/27/12, 09:46 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks Bruno. I would, but I think I'm going to abandon the platform, so the next time I'm under the car it will likely be to take everything off.