Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Checklist for Strut/Spring Install...

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/12, 11:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure it rubs during regular street driving. Maybe that's what the FRPPs are better for? Cause they are constantly getting "bumped"
Old 4/22/12, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
I'm sure it rubs during regular street driving. Maybe that's what the FRPPs are better for? Cause they are constantly getting "bumped"
I'll might try to mount my gopro under there and video a run down a rough road. Since we all have about the same clearance I guess it's normal. Since the Steeda springs have same drop as the FRPP P springs than I guess ford is ok withe the minimal clearance.
Old 4/22/12, 04:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put about 310 miles on today cruising down to central IL with my car club. 90% highway. Man, I tell ya when the road is smooth the car handles amazing! But holy hell any ripples or nasty bumps and it's like riding in a paint mixer on steel wheels. Couldn't even put my head against the head rest for the long stretches, think like when you're on a roller coaster. I'm also hearing a lot of NVH now, I'm thinking it's gotta be from the gt500 strut mounts. I'm going to try cutting the bump stops, it sure felt like I was hitting them quite a bit. If it's still this rough after then expect to see a set of k springs up for sale real soon lol. Sux too because she looks sexy with the new drop, oh yeah they settled nicely today. About 1 finger fender gap up front and 2 out back, she has a nice little rake now. My buddy took a bunch of pics from the show today I'll post up and soon as he sends them to me.
Old 4/22/12, 04:08 PM
Cobra R Member

John, don't think you should sell, I think it's about the same with all of them lol
Old 4/22/12, 04:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

John, don't think you should sell, I think it's about the same with all of them lol
Yeah I'll give it some time. Hopefully they'll loosen up some more.

Here's 1 pic from today's show.
Attached Images  
Old 4/22/12, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hytek
I put about 310 miles on today cruising down to central IL with my car club. 90% highway. Man, I tell ya when the road is smooth the car handles amazing! But holy hell any ripples or nasty bumps and it's like riding in a paint mixer on steel wheels. Couldn't even put my head against the head rest for the long stretches, think like when you're on a roller coaster. I'm also hearing a lot of NVH now, I'm thinking it's gotta be from the gt500 strut mounts. I'm going to try cutting the bump stops, it sure felt like I was hitting them quite a bit. If it's still this rough after then expect to see a set of k springs up for sale real soon lol. Sux too because she looks sexy with the new drop, oh yeah they settled nicely today. About 1 finger fender gap up front and 2 out back, she has a nice little rake now. My buddy took a bunch of pics from the show today I'll post up and soon as he sends them to me.
Holy moly, there goes any of my thoughts of lowering my car! I was going to go with the Sports, but dang, if it's ANYTHING like you are experiencing, I'll take the 4x4 look, thank you very much!
Old 4/22/12, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I put 250 driving from Madison to Autobahn and it handled great. The ride is a bit stiffer but not to bad. Now if you live in an area that has really bad roads than I can see where that could be an issue. In short the car handles great, looks great and rides good for the roads around here. If I lived back in NYC than the ride I would say would suck.

Last edited by devildog1679; 4/22/12 at 08:32 PM.
Old 4/22/12, 08:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by UpTheCreek

Holy moly, there goes any of my thoughts of lowering my car! I was going to go with the Sports, but dang, if it's ANYTHING like you are experiencing, I'll take the 4x4 look, thank you very much!
Lol didn't mean to scare anyone. The K springs are naturally rough, the sports aren't too bad from what others are reporting. I just happen to have some nasty roads by me.

Originally Posted by devildog1679
I put 250 driving from Madison to Autobahn and it handled great. The ride is a bit stiffer but not to bad. Now if you live in an area that has really bad roads than I can see where that could be an issue. In short the car handles great, looks great and rides good for the roads around here. If I lived back in NYC than the ride I would say would suck.
Yeah some roads out here are like wash boards. I might be exaggerating a bit too on the ride, I'm so used to the soft stockers. I'm sure it'll grow on me because the handling is light years better than what it was. Zipping in and out of traffic and curves today was a lot of fun.
Old 4/22/12, 09:15 PM

"Riding in a paint mixer with steel wheels". Well, that scared me! lol

I haven't read too many complaints, even with the "K" springs though. I'm just concerned something might not be right with your install? Maybe it is hitting the stops a lot more than you might think? That'd be the best outcome if that's the case.

Sure hope it works out for you, I'll definitely be watching this thread. Your car sure looks sweet though!!!
Old 4/22/12, 09:45 PM
Cobra R Member

John did you get it aligned before that long drive?
Old 4/23/12, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by UpTheCreek
"Riding in a paint mixer with steel wheels". Well, that scared me! lol

I haven't read too many complaints, even with the "K" springs though. I'm just concerned something might not be right with your install? Maybe it is hitting the stops a lot more than you might think? That'd be the best outcome if that's the case.

Sure hope it works out for you, I'll definitely be watching this thread. Your car sure looks sweet though!!!
Thanks! I think the bump stops are part of it and the rest are just the crappy roads I was on yesterday. I'm going to mark the tops to see if they are in fact hitting. If that's the case I'll swap them out for the frpp ones. If they still hit, then I'll just cut them.

I do have to say though it doesn't bounce after the ripples and bumps so I would say the koni's are doing their job. On the stock dampers and roush springs she would continue to bounce for a second or so after the ripples. The ride is a lot more solid and confident feeling. Body roll and brake dive is gone. Traction is now more of an issue. I'm looking into lca's and relocation brackets now.

Please don't let my personal opinion on the ride change anyone's plans, it's your car and mod it how you want to. What may work for one person may not always work for the other.

John did you get it aligned before that long drive?
No, by time I finished Saturday they were closed and I left on Sunday morning for the cruise at 6:30am. Everything appears straight and doesn't pull or shake. I will get one sometime this week though. Have you got yours yet?
Old 4/23/12, 08:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Nope haven't gotten it yet. No time lately. Car needs to go to ford tomorrow for that rear end vent leaking and a squeak. Just deciding if I should put factory wheels back on.
Old 4/23/12, 08:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I almost don't want to get one right away in case I swap the springs back out. We'll see, I'm going to give it a week. Good luck with your squeak, we all know how that can go at the dealer.
Old 4/23/12, 08:58 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys think this install is bad, do the front sway bar. What a pain!
Old 4/23/12, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hytek

Thanks! I think the bump stops are part of it and the rest are just the crappy roads I was on yesterday. I'm going to mark the tops to see if they are in fact hitting. If that's the case I'll swap them out for the frpp ones.
I put the FRPP ones in and they are not shorter same hight. The picture I posted is the FRPP ones. Not sure if the material is different, meaning less dense so a softer bump. Might want to contact Sam.
Old 4/23/12, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
You guys think this install is bad, do the front sway bar. What a pain!
Agreed, no one told me you had to remove the brace. Not bad after it was removed, torquing the end links is a different story.
Old 4/23/12, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

i want to ride in Lewis26 and yours john to see the difference. it would be a great comparison and then when were done you can ride in my "cadillac" lol
Old 4/23/12, 09:57 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by devildog1679

Agreed, no one told me you had to remove the brace. Not bad after it was removed, torquing the end links is a different story.
My problem was the studs that hold the bushing brackets in place. The retaining clips broke so they spun and made it a royal PITA to remove. If I were doing it again, I'd buy new studs from the dealer. Torquing the endlinks is easy. 19mm socket and a 17mm wrench and you're done.
Old 4/23/12, 09:59 AM
GTR Member

Those of you complaining about the ride on FRPP K springs may want to switch back to the P springs (1" drop). From what I've read, they are the same spring rate but ride considerably better and allow for more suspension travel (obviously).
Old 4/23/12, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Those of you complaining about the ride on FRPP K springs may want to switch back to the P springs (1" drop). From what I've read, they are the same spring rate but ride considerably better and allow for more suspension travel (obviously).
Yeah thats what i mentioned to him- i think the extra drop is going to hurt comfortablity a little.

Quick Reply: Checklist for Strut/Spring Install...