Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Which caster camber plates?

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/15, 09:02 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which caster camber plates?

I debating between the Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber plates, or the Steeda heavy duty upper strut mounts. My only question / concern is that the MM plates have caster and camber adjustability, while the Steeda just offer camber. Which is best, and do I really need to adjust the caster angle with a 1" drop?

I have Koni STR.T shocks / struts, Steeda sport springs, and a BMR panhard bar waiting in the garage.
Old 3/12/15, 06:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2012White5.0
I debating between the Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber plates, or the Steeda heavy duty upper strut mounts. My only question / concern is that the MM plates have caster and camber adjustability, while the Steeda just offer camber. Which is best, and do I really need to adjust the caster angle with a 1" drop?

I have Koni STR.T shocks / struts, Steeda sport springs, and a BMR panhard bar waiting in the garage.
You may not need to adjust caster, but just like camber you will want to get both sides to the same number when aligning it, unless it's a Nascar. I would do the MM plates so that you could get back stock caster if not add a little more to increase straight line stability.
Old 3/12/15, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

just a thought, have you checked out the Vorshlag CC plates, they are built like a tank and have good all around adjustability. Just a thought
Old 3/12/15, 09:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I thought I'd chime and make this more confusing. I have the ground control plates and they have been very good. They also have camber and caster adjustment. I chose them because I read about some noise issues with some of the ones listed here. I am pretty happy with them and they are totally quiet.
Old 3/12/15, 10:20 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I thought I'd chime and make this more confusing. I have the ground control plates and they have been very good. They also have camber and caster adjustment. I chose them because I read about some noise issues with some of the ones listed here. I am pretty happy with them and they are totally quiet.

From the pictures on there website they look like very well constructed CC plates. It also looks like they use a GT500 style spring perch instead of the 11-14 style unit. Did you use 05-10 / GT500 style front struts, or the 11-14 style on your car?
Old 3/12/15, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

The GC plates look very nice but like you stated about the other plates issues, I have eliminated the GC plates because they have issues with the studs /nuts failing if over torqued, which is apparently easy to do. I have not heard of anyone saying there are noise issues with the Vorshlag or MM plates. I do recall a complaint about the Steeda plates a year or so ago, but only one complaint.
Old 3/12/15, 11:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Mustang259
The GC plates look very nice but like you stated about the other plates issues, I have eliminated the GC plates because they have issues with the studs /nuts failing if over torqued, which is apparently easy to do. I have not heard of anyone saying there are noise issues with the Vorshlag or MM plates. I do recall a complaint about the Steeda plates a year or so ago, but only one complaint.
I would stand behind the GC plates I have, if you don't over torque them they are fine, kind of like anything else really.
Old 3/12/15, 01:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
The car does not need any additional caster. It has about 7 degrees from the factory which is plenty.

We use roller needed bearing that do not have any knock-back issues. It looks like the competition uses a spherical bearing.

Our bearing is set into a polyurethane bushing, so no increase in NVH ... the competition has metal bearing on a metal plate.

The quality of these mounts are unsurpassed. Easy to install and makes alignment so much easier. Don't lower your car without them. - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang....e1AMsd6q.dpuf
These c/c plates are the best ever. They reuse the lower half of stock spring mount while eliminating the crappy ball bearings. This is a great setup and smooth as can be with no noise! This part is so easy to install. Its a shame it looks so nice that you cant see it when on car. - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang....e1AMsd6q.dpuf
You will be very happy with the Steeda units ... & they are made in the U.S.A.

Let me know if I can help with forum pricing or any additional questions.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/12/15, 04:47 PM
Cobra R Member

From the pictures on there website they look like very well constructed CC plates. It also looks like they use a GT500 style spring perch instead of the 11-14 style unit. Did you use 05-10 / GT500 style front struts, or the 11-14 style on your car?

I have the 11-14 style on my car.

Originally Posted by Mustang259
I have had my plates for 2 years now. I did my research back then. There were some posts about noise on the maximum motorsports and the steeda. I didn't do any research on vorshlag. As far as over torquing, I would presume that you shouldn't over torque anything on your car. This eliminated that as an issue for me. The noise complaints I read may not have been on this forum. I was very scared of noises and did google searches to read all I could.
Old 3/12/15, 08:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
From the pictures on there website they look like very well constructed CC plates. It also looks like they use a GT500 style spring perch instead of the 11-14 style unit. Did you use 05-10 / GT500 style front struts, or the 11-14 style on your car? I have the 11-14 style on my car. I have had my plates for 2 years now. I did my research back then. There were some posts about noise on the maximum motorsports and the steeda. I didn't do any research on vorshlag. As far as over torquing, I would presume that you shouldn't over torque anything on your car. This eliminated that as an issue for me. The noise complaints I read may not have been on this forum. I was very scared of noises and did google searches to read all I could.

I've been doing s bit of the same research, and found all have some complaints of noise. Added noise, clunking, etc will irritate the hell out of me. I'm admittedly OCD about that kind of stuff. From what I've read it seems that those with noise complaints reuse the stock bearings and spring perch on their cc plates. It seems like the gt500 perch does a better job of absorbing any noise since it is a rubber. The ground control cc plates seems to be the best of both worlds since it uses the gt500 style spring perch, and fits the 11+ strut style.

I sent them a email today and they confirmed that they work with 11+ style struts.
Old 3/12/15, 09:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2012White5.0
I've been doing s bit of the same research, and found all have some complaints of noise. Added noise, clunking, etc will irritate the hell out of me. I'm admittedly OCD about that kind of stuff. From what I've read it seems that those with noise complaints reuse the stock bearings and spring perch on their cc plates. It seems like the gt500 perch does a better job of absorbing any noise since it is a rubber. The ground control cc plates seems to be the best of both worlds since it uses the gt500 style spring perch, and fits the 11+ strut style. I sent them a email today and they confirmed that they work with 11+ style struts.
They do. I have the 11+ style struts. You may want to call Jay at hypermotive. I bought from him and the service was top notch. He will answer all kinds of questions. Sadly, I asked him many dumb questions before I bought.