Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Beginner Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/13, 07:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We all know that beginner standard mods are CAI, tune and exhaust. I'm looking for relatively the same in the suspension department. I want to upgrade my suspension but I'm not heading to do any laps at Laguna Seca.

I've entered some turns on the roadway at higher speeds and the car is a little unsteady. The body roll is more than I want. I would like the car more stable in situations like that as well as tighter on exit/ entrance ramps when pushing the car a bit.

I also don't want mess up the pinion angle to where my off the line launches suffer due to traction issues. I do head to the track(1/4) about twice a year. I'm probably going with an aluminum driveshaft as well so I'm not sure what effect that will have.

Other than that, just a slight improvement in stance and I'd be satisfied.

Last edited by 2012GT; 3/31/13 at 07:50 PM.
Old 4/1/13, 11:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I would suggest doing springs and lca's with relo brackets, that should help with the body roll and with any wheel hop you may get. The lca's will also help keep the car a little more planted on corners. You could also do shocks but I would think you would want adjustable so that you can soften it up for the strip.
Old 4/1/13, 01:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Since you specifically mentioned body roll, I would go for the adjustable sway bar kit.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-s...d-mustang.html

That would level the car along with not having any pinion angle issues. If you lower the car, you should go with a adjustable upper control arm to get the pinion angle back. you will need that when you go to a aluminum driveshaft too.

Email me at tim@steeda.com if I can help provide pricing and get you in a package that fits your budget. You have our CAI ... so it only makes sense to get our suspension package .

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/1/13, 02:40 PM
Cobra Member

Steeda through & through by the way TJ, 93 tune & CAI for 17,000 miles. I just don't know what set up on suspension yet. Email on the way. Thanks for the input everyone.

Name:  IMG_20130314_161456.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  71.6 KB
Old 4/1/13, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to transform the quality and performance capabilities of your car there are a few things.

Struts/ shocks
Springs
CC plates
Adj. PHB (if needed)

Just these alone will greatly reduce body roll.

If you plan on lowering your car and running a 1pc driveshaft I would highly recommend getting yourself an adjustable UCA to correct the pinion angle.

Depending on how much you lower your car will depend on whether or not you need relocation brackets for your LCA's and even an adj. PHB. Some cars may need it, some may not. I need an adj. PHB from the factory as the rear was off by a 1/2 from the factory. As far as relo brackets go, if you lower your car 1.5 inches in the rear you really don't need them. I'm assuming you're running normal radial tires as well, so unless lowering your vehicle doesn't reduce wheelhop then I'd suggest LCA's, if that along with a UCA then I would suggest relo brackets.

As far as aluminum DS go I highly recommend driveshaft shop (DSS) which we currently have a sale on.

For brands:
Koni yellows (if you desire adjustability for the track/ curves/ strip) or Koni oranges (a good entry level set that does very well on lowered applications) and don't forget about the lifetime warranty Koni offers.
For an adj. UCA I'd highly recommend whiteline, there is very little to no NVH in their UCA. For LCA's I like Whiteline as well but METCO has been growing on us lately as we enjoy their quality and customer service.
Adj. PHB, I'd recommend either Whiteline or BMR as both can be adjusted on the car.
Strut mounts I highly recommend ground control: Ground control's CC plates come with billet aluminum tops, allow for +- 3 degrees of camber adjust and 1 degree of caster, these also come with a spring isolator which no other company offers allowing you to install your struts without having to breakdown your old setup.
As far as springs go I highly recommend Hotchkis or Steeda.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions at all shoot us an email or give us a call.

Attached below is a picture of our 13 Boss on Hotchkis springs, you'll notice an even drop with no rake.
Attached Thumbnails Beginner Suspension-20130131_154244.jpg